Trainz 2019 very low fps

davidstefan871

Hello to everyone!

So I recently bought a new PC with a Ryzen 5 2600, an AMD RX580 and for the moment just 8 GB of RAM. I also bought the brand new TRS2019, very excited about what the trailer have shown. Unfortunately, I only got very dissappointed when I launched the game for the first time. Even with the settings only on high(nothing on Ultra), I get around 15 to 25 fps(very rarely 30 fps). Not to mention that one of my favourite routes in Trainz includes the Bucharest rail complex (and that means LOTS of railway lines, that route only runs smoothly with everything on medium-low). As I said, I have an RX580 as a graphics card... and I only got 55% score in benchmark. Despite of that, I heard that people with Nvidia cards such as GTX 770 or GTX 1050Ti still get much higher fps, indeed with 16 gigs of RAM, but with lower benchmark scores...
I also tried numerous software settings, from Windows 10 ones to the AMD driver software ones.

Does anyone think that adding 8 more gigs of RAM will help me out??? Should that be my only problem?? Or should I buy another GPU, such as a 1070Ti, to get ~40fps in full HD 60Hz?? I don't get it, how people with weaker graphics cards still get much better performance than me? Please help me! I really love this simulator.

P.S.: Sorry if I have errors in my writing, I am not a native speaker.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Your GPU isn't the greatest but it isn't bad. Ideally 10,000 on the 3D benchmark is respectable. It does depend on the content, some is more demanding than others. Middleton for laptops is about the least demanding route if you don't have a first class ticket you can pick up many of the dependencies on jatws.org. If you have performance problems with that one then something is wrong.

The distance slider can make a big difference to performance by the way.

Cheerio John

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Your GPU isn't the greatest but it isn't bad. Ideally 10,000 on the 3D benchmark is respectable. It does depend on the content, some is more demanding than others. Middleton for laptops is about the least demanding route if you don't have a first class ticket you can pick up many of the dependencies on jatws.org. If you have performance problems with that one then something is wrong.

The distance slider can make a big difference to performance by the way.

Cheerio John

I will try those too. I bought the European version of the game from Steam and on Sebino Lake route I get that very bad fps, also on that Bucharest route mentioned in the first post... which is even optimized for better fps. And as I said, someone with a 1550Ti gets far better fps on that route. Maybe it's a hardware problem from the system... before buying this machine, I was expecting a minimum of 20-25 fps on the most "crowded" parts of a route and with everything on Ultra, so the performance is way below my expectations. :(

AMD seem to optimise their cards / drivers for the latest and greatest mainstream games, Nvidia seems to have a better track record with lesser known games.

TRS19 is GPU intensive, so the CPU is less important, so long as it isn't bottlenecking the GPU, your CPU should be fine as I have a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 on one of my PCs with a GTX980TI, Also have a PhenomII 1090T X6 with a GTX 1060 which will just about hold 30 smoothly on mid range settings less in cluttered areas but still smoothly and not actually noticeable if not checking fps, it's OK elsewhere at 60 FPS and thats with the GPU is being bottlenecked by the Phenom.... Only use it for checking my routes run on lower end stuff. Main rig is an i7 I7 6700K / 1080TI which is OK.

In my opinion the minimum card would be a GTX1060, I'd suggest considering a RTX2060 over a 1070TI it's a bit better and cheaper than the 1070TI.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Meanwhile, turn off PhysX in the Performance settings, it doesn't work properly IMO and it will cause a performance hit. And watch the draw distance if you can't see 15000m you don't need it,1 most routes are happy with 4000 to 5000

Also exclude your TRS19 folder and your local data folder from any on access scanning from AV, anti malware stuff and Windows search!

I wouldn't worry too much about FPS there are some routes where my GTX1080 TI only reaches 30FPS, mostly it's over 60.

Also unless using an SSD, defrag the disk(s) your TRS19 and Local Data are on, after that you can leave it to Windows.

Nothing wrong with your English, it's better than some native speakers ;o)

AMD seem to optimise their cards / drivers for the latest and greatest mainstream games, Nvidia seems to have a better track record with lesser known games. [...]

In my opinion the minimum card would be a GTX1060, I'd suggest considering a RTX2060 over a 1070TI it's a bit better and cheaper than the 1070TI.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html [...]

Meanwhile, turn off PhysX in the Performance settings, it doesn't work properly IMO and it will cause a performance hit. And watch the draw distance if you can't see 15000m you don't need it,1 most routes are happy with 4000 to 5000

Also exclude your TRS19 folder and your local data folder from any on access scanning from AV, anti malware stuff and Windows search!

Also unless using an SSD, defrag the disk(s) your TRS19 and Local Data are on, after that you can leave it to Windows.

Thank you very much! I will try these. I actually consider buying a gtx 1070 instead the rx580, the other ones are a bit too expensive for me because I want to add another 16GB of RAM to my system... do you think that this hardware will do for a 1920x1080p, 60Hz monitor and at least high settings in TRS2019?

@clam52

All excellent suggestions.

david:

After the bitcoin frenzy, the cost of used 1070Ti cards has come down significantly. Just look at models with good cooling (multiple fans).

Well my GTX980TI seems to work well with a Ryzen 5 1600 six core and the GTX1070 is, according to where you look equal to slightly below or above a GTX980, a 1070TI is better than a 980TI.

So shouldn't be an issue with your Ryzen 5 2600.

Also be aware that the 1070Ti, and I'm sure others, are really LONG. Make sure what you end up with will fit in your computer (or invest in a metal nibbler).

Hi,
Just run a quick test:-

Sebrino Lake (1080s)
Session ProTrainz Orient Express pt 1

FPS (measured by GeForce) 26 to 60fps

Hardware:
i5 at 4.2GHz
16Mb ram
Win 10 (on C:\ drive)
TS19 - on dedicated SSD
RTX 2060 GPU

Trainz settings
Full screen at 1920x1080 60Hz
V synch Full
Shadow quality - High
Main Shadow Resolution 2048
Shader quality standard
Texture detail High
Post processing Low
Water quality High
Detail Scenery Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing 4x
Detail update rate High
PhysX simulation on
Settings in session
View distance 4000m
scenery detail High
tree detail high

At these setting, the fans on my 2060 are about 70% of max - and the GPU runs about 60-70C

As suggested,
make sure all the Trainz files are excluded from your virus checker.

Colin

post processing low

Hi,
Just run a quick test:-

Sebrino Lake (1080s)
Session ProTrainz Orient Express pt 1

FPS (measured by GeForce) 26 to 60fps

Hardware:
i5 at 4.2GHz
16Mb ram
Win 10 (on C:\ drive)
TS19 - on dedicated SSD
RTX 2060 GPU

Trainz settings
Full screen at 1920x1080 60Hz
V synch Full
Shadow quality - High
Main Shadow Resolution 2048
Shader quality standard
Texture detail High
Post processing Low
Water quality High
Detail Scenery Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing 4x
Detail update rate High
PhysX simulation on
Settings in session
View distance 4000m
scenery detail High
tree detail high

At these setting, the fans on my 2060 are about 70% of max - and the GPU runs about 60-70C

As suggested,
make sure all the Trainz files are excluded from your virus checker.

Colin

post processing low

Yes but your GPU 3D score is 14,845 or close to twice that of the OP and on a large route the 16 gigs of memory rather than 8 will make a difference. Basically Win 10 grabs 4 gigs leaving 4 for TS19 on the OP system and 12 on yours.

Cheerio John

Thanks John,

I do think that we should have a designated route/session ( or several pairs) so that we can compare performance of different users systems.
Also, a "standard" set of Trainz performance settings so we can have direct comparisons.

I remember doing a set of test in the beta, using the tutorial routes. These are a little simple for modern more powerful pcs.

Keep safe,

Colin

Back