Newer Version Available??

boleyd

What is the process to get the "newer version"? At one time there was a new version listed next to the the "original". A few time just doing a downlod fixed it. But now nothing I do seems to find the newer version.

If the original asset was "Built-in", "Base" or "Payware" then using the Download option from the right mouse click popup menu does not work. Instead select the List Asset Version option and then use Download on those assets that are then shown as "Available for Download" but not "Available for Download, Obsolete".

A full description of the asset update process using CM can be found on the Trainz Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Using_Content_Manager_to_Update_Assets

Last edited:
Is this "new" in 2019? It seemed like in T:ANE it just sort of happened automagically. I never had to manually update to a newer version, and never saw assets listed as Newer Version Available.

Thanks for the information. I found 140241 "Newer Version" items. If this is true, perhaps a database person at N3V could write a small set of instructions that would clean this up over-night.

Is this "new" in 2019? It seemed like in T:ANE it just sort of happened automagically. I never had to manually update to a newer version, and never saw assets listed as Newer Version Available.

The automatic update is still available and working in TRS19 as it did in TANE. Likewise the manual option, via CM, has also been available in TANE. It all depends on when you want the updates to occur. Automatically can mean while you are running a driver session or working in Surveyor which may not be convenient. For example a large update of several megabytes on a slower connection - much like the DLC downloads that can suddenly occur when you start Trainz in TANE and TRS19 SP1. I prefer to use the manual method so it happens entirely under my control and at a time that is convenient to me. The manual update is an option only.

The "Newer Version Available" is new but, AFAIK, simply gives you more useful information than the rather off-putting description "Installed, Obsolete".

But it seemed like by the time I saw the old "Installed, Obsolete", it had already downloaded the new version automatically. Now it is manual.

When you do download updates for your assets from the DLS, don't forget to delete the obsolete files afterwards. Obsoletes tend to cause faulty assets, particularly where a library is involved.
cheers
Graeme

Now it is manual.

I don't see how. In my experience the automatic updates were never instantaneous, they did not occur as soon as the update became available on the DLS. There was always seemed to be a time lag of a few days or even longer before it would grab an newly updated asset. I now routinely run a manual update filter in CM every few days and often it can be weeks before any are detected and downloaded. I no longer wait for the automatic updates to occur.

I don't see how. In my experience the automatic updates were never instantaneous, they did not occur as soon as the update became available on the DLS. There was always seemed to be a time lag of a few days or even longer before it would grab an newly updated asset. I now routinely run a manual update filter in CM every few days and often it can be weeks before any are detected and downloaded. I no longer wait for the automatic updates to occur.

Yup. I check every time I start up Trainz, which is every day most of the time.

I have two filters setup.

Out of Date:
Installed: True
Out of date: True.

Obsolete AND NOT Built-in:

Just as it says, installed is true of course.

After doing the out-of-date check and downloading updates, I check the obsolete AND NOT Built-in filter and delete the old stuff. Once deleted, I will check faulty assets to ensure that the updates didn't break something because that happens sometimes. If all is okay, I'll check for new stuff, and go on with my Trainzing.

Yup. I check every time I start up Trainz, which is every day most of the time.

I have two filters setup.

Out of Date:
Out of date: True.

Obsolete AND NOT Built-in:

Just as it says, installed is true of course.

After doing the out-of-date check and downloading updates, I check the obsolete AND NOT Built-in filter and delete the old stuff. Once deleted, I will check faulty assets to ensure that the updates didn't break something because that happens sometimes. If all is okay, I'll check for new stuff, and go on with my Trainzing.

Just to confirm, John:
The second filter you set in CM is:

Obsolete: True
AND NOT
Built-in: True

My daily habit is to execute the same routine update assets tests and checks for available updates/ obsolete and faulty assets as John mentions above AND a quick check for any 'Open for Edit...' items.
These are always followed up by a Quick Database Repair and (if satisfactorily completed) log clearance.
TRS19 and T:ANE always run smoothly thereafter.

Many thanks for that useful hints! I will comply with ...
But before going ahead I have to be sure that I've all understood all correct, so please can someone verify the summary below.

Filter 01: I saved as "01 Installed, Out of date"
+-------------------+
| Installed: True
| Out of date: True
+-------------------+

Filter 02: I saved as "02 Installed, Obsolete, Built-in"
+-------------------+
| Installed: True
| Obsolete: True
| AND NOT
| Built-in: True
+-------------------+

So recommended Start-up procedure for Trainz would be:

01 Fire up Trainz-Launcher
02 [MANAGE CONTENT]
03 Set and Execute Custom filter "01 Installed, Out of date"
04 If entries exist in the list, react accordingly by ev. delete, download etc.
05 Set and Execute Custom filter "02 Installed, Obsolete, Built-in"
06 If entries exist in the list, react accordingly by ev. delete, download etc.
07 Set Filter in CM to "Open for Edit..."
08 Again: react accordingly and ensure there's an empty list finally.
09 Finally apply a standard DBR and log clearance.
10 Take a cup of coffee and be happy to have a clean database.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Looks good, Josef! (Assume your 04 submits any results of your Out of Date custom filter to a "List asset versions..." right-click filter for subsequent action...?)
My custom filter for 'Obsolete AND NOT built-in' is named accordingly. (Suggest yours should add the 'And NOT' qualifier too -05 above).
Only action required here is to permanently DELETE listed results, since you cannot delete built-ins, even if they are 'Obsolete'.
Cheers!
PC

Last edited:
May I get help here too? I've never really understood this process completely. Appreciate any and all help.

With a filter of "Installed" + "Out of Date" I have large number of "Built-in, Newer Version Available" assets. What do I do with those? The "Download" option is grayed out and not a working option.

I have other question too but let's take this one step at a time....

Looks good, Josef! (Assume your 04 submits any results of your Out of Date custom filter to a "List asset versions..." right-click filter for subsequent action...?)
My custom filter for 'Obsolete AND NOT built-in' is named accordingly. (Suggest yours should add the 'And NOT' qualifier too -05 above).
Only action required here is to permanently DELETE listed results, since you cannot delete built-ins, even if they are 'Obsolete'.
Cheers!
PC
Without
Many thanks for your precious hints, clarification and suggestions, PC. :) Without them I'd have done it the wrong way.
And if there are assets in that subsequent list which one should I delete? All with lower 'Trainz Version' numbers but identical name? And if after that remain assets with the one identical version number: should I delete the oldest one, but many of them have no installation date entry.? The DLS Upload date doesn't make sence in this case, isn't it?

The final goal of above described filtering/correcting actions is to have finally only one asset instead of a huge bunch of identical named assets, correct?

Last edited:
OK, I'll follow. Will take some time as this subsequent list shows about 310000 entries...
In case this goes wrong I can copy back the whole content.

Right click the asset and select "List asset versions", then you can download the latest version.

Thanks very much!

I had actually done this based on other threads and wiki info but I simply wasn't understanding what I was seeing in the new window. So simple and obvious, how did I miss it?

To anyone viewing and asking the same.. with multiple items selected a "View Asset Versions" will show all versions of all currently selected assets even though you are right clicking on only one. Sort the assets in this new window by "Status" and then select all "Available for Download" and then Download those items.

CitMusJoe -
OK, I'll follow. Will take some time as this subsequent list shows about 310000 entries...
In case this goes wrong I can copy back the whole content.
I think there's some misunderstanding still here - Each filter should only be conducted on INSTALLED=True assets in Content Manager.
If you haven't updated ANY assets for quite a while, the initial list of "Installed=True + Out of Date=True" items will probably be reasonably large, but unlikely to exceed 1000, let alone 310000!
(Daily runs will only yield a few items needing to be updated - and on many days, nothing will be shown - indicating that newer, replacement versions of any given asset have not been uploaded to the DLS recently)

Here's the workflow:
1. Run your new custom 'Out of Date' filter on your installed database
2. Select all items in the resulting list and Right-click one and choose "List asset versions"
3. When the query returns a result-list, scan for any items that show "Download available" against them. Ignore all other entries.
4. Select only those that show that a new version is available for download and right-click again to select the option to "Download this version". (et Voila! You now have the latest version of each of those updated assets!)
5. Then go through the other filters, to remove non-built-in obsolete items from your database, etc.

Hope this clarifies the matter! :)

Last edited:
Back