Fictional E60 Reskins

A few weeks ago I was looking through some old emails when I found one which reminded me that I had CEFX2014's permission to reskin their Amtrak E60 locomotive. I had honestly forgotten I had their permission to do this. So I've done four reskins, with two more planned. I don't plan of releasing these reskins.
2020-05-03-211433.jpg

Due to the increasing oil prices in the middle of the 1970's several western railroads were considering electrifying some of their rail lines, interest in which had been increased by the promise of reduced taxes and state subsidies if they did so and improved track conditions. The Western Pacific, Union Pacific, Southern Pacific and Burlington Northern Railroad all decided to electrify some of their routes in Washington Oregon and California. Electrification was supposed to go as far south as Oakland, but the Reagan administration cut funding for the project, meaning the electrification instead ended in Sacramento. Due to the problems that Amtrak had had with the locomotive, The 4 railroads did not buy many e60s, instead turning to GE competitor EMD who had fielded two new electric locomotives just for the new electrification project. Many of the e60s that the railroads did buy were bought used from Amtrak instead of from GE. Amtrak also tried moving many of their E60s to the new electrical lines, where the lower top speed of 80-90 mph and heavier trains better suited the problematic E60.
2020-05-03-211415.jpg

A line up of all the paint schemes e60 #610 would wear after leaving Amtrak service. On the far left is her just after she joined the Western Pacific's newly electrified Sacramento subdivision, with her Amtrak Insignias crossed out with black and white paint. Next is 610 in her Perlman Green Western Pacific Scheme, one which she would only wear for a scant 4 years before the WP was bought by the Union Pacific, and she was repainted in UP colors. After the Golden Pacific took over the Union Pacific, 610 was painted in the iconic Ice Mountain Blue paint scheme.
A very very big thanks to CEFX2014 over at Notch 8 for letting me reskin their E60!

Last edited:
Great Northern? New Haven (McGinnis, EF-4 orange, Pullman Green)? Always liked the way some used to call these "boxcabs." :)

Great Northern? New Haven (McGinnis, EF-4 orange, Pullman Green)? Always liked the way some used to call these "boxcabs." :)
The other two paint jobs I'm going to do are the SP's black widow scheme and the Burlington Northern's Cascade green scheme. I'm also considering doing a BNSF scheme as well. I do Think the E60's would look good in McGinnis scheme like the FL9s and the EP-5s. For the BN a GN heritage scheme could work.

The other two paint jobs I'm going to do are the SP's black widow scheme and the Burlington Northern's Cascade green scheme. I'm also considering doing a BNSF scheme as well. I do Think the E60's would look good in McGinnis scheme like the FL9s and the EP-5s. For the BN a GN heritage scheme could work.
CORRECTION! I meant to say Bloody Nose Scheme instead of black widow.

Here are four more e60 reskins
2020-05-10-210538.jpg

Southern Pacific E60 This Particular e60 is ex-amtrak, due to the lack of marslight below the cab.
2020-05-10-212201.jpg

Burlington Northern E60. Thinking about changing the angle of the stripes, and trying some other styles, like the Tigerstripe or white face.
2020-05-10-212251.jpg

A "Great Northern" Big sky blue paint of Burlington Northern E60. The idea for this one came about when i was doing research for the SP E60 paint trying to find the correct color for the red. While looking through the wonderful website espee raifan, I read a post about how in 1999 several ex-sp employees working at the now UP Roseville shop painted some locomotives which were badly in need of a repaint into a simplified SP bloody nose paint scheme. So the story behind this scheme is that this e60 was still wearing its old Amtrak paint and the paint was falling apart so the Great Northern Mechanics decided the paint it in a simplified big sky blue scheme.
2020-05-10-212323.jpg

An e60 in a heritage Great Northern scheme. Requested by the wonderful PWeiser. I thought this could be a BN heritage scheme, I was going to add BN logos to reflect this but I forgot.
A BNSF paint scheme and a McGiniss NH paint scheme is coming next.

Back