TANE and an Intel I3

I have looking at a custom gaming tower, it meets all the specs of TANE (recommended) and it will have the right graphics card. But, it has in Intel I3, not and I5, will this cause any issues?

I have looking at a custom gaming tower, it meets all the specs of TANE (recommended) and it will have the right graphics card. But, it has in Intel I3, not and I5, will this cause any issues?

Depends if it's an 8th or 9th generation which are 4 cores and as good as earlier i5s

I (try to) run T:ANE with an i3 currently (I have an i7 coming). It does not work well at all. However, this computer has only 4GB of RAM; surveyor works pretty well but driving is very skippy. How much memory are we talking?

EDIT: Mine is a 6th generation, if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go any less than an i5. Would prefer an i7.

My own unit has a Ryzen 7 2700 with 16G RAM. When driving, I see CPU usage across all 16 cores above 50% and even higher.

Yup - trying to run 64-bit T:ANE or TRS19 at acceptable performance levels on an i3, Celeron or Pentium CPU is folly - minimum spec recommended is an i5 quad core, whilst several older i5s and even some epic early-gen i7s now struggling to keep up.
Latest gen i5s, i7s and i9s are superb (and more affordable) with more cores and hyperthreading, thanks to the recent pricing and performance competition from AMD's breakthrough Ryzen CPU lines.
As always though, with T:ANE and TRS19, it is best to invest more in your GPU than for your CPU, since it is the graphics card that mostly influences framerates and smooth gaming experience.

Try https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ with the exact model you have. Middleton for laptops does run on an i3 with integrated graphics but that is a special case with carefully selected assets. TANE needs to feed the GPU so some layouts will need more CPU than others. As a rule of thumb have a look at the Dell G5 machines. They are a reasonable mixture of price performance.
GTX 1660 isn't a bad card, you need about 10,000 score on the GPU https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php if funds permit I'd go an i5 G5.

Cheerio John

Nope. I have an old Windows PC which has an older i3, which I tried to run Trainz on in 2017. Didn't work. I ended up having to play Trainz on mobile until summer 2019, when I got a Mac that was just BARELY powerful enough to run T:ANE. So I don't think it would run (or even run that well if it does) on an i3.

I think you need to take at least i5, or better yet i7 - you need to have at least a couple of years to keep your computer up to date.

Back