A Few Dumb Questions?

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Well, I'm feeling kinda dumb, and yes I can hear the laughter. This is TRS19 in general and the Canadian Rockies specifically. To start with, I can only find 2 industries on that lovely route, the timber yard in Golden, and a Quarry further north. Surely I'm going blind, there must be more than that but they allude me. On a more general topic, is it my imagination of is the AI in TRS19 more useless than a dead snail in the desert? Again, I must be missing something, but the AI refuses to drive into the lumber yard no matter what. I doubt it's due to a lack of a connection of the two tracks at the far end, which prevents anyone doing a run around. The other even sillier situation is an AI at the top end of the route refusing to start because two points/switches, are set against it. Since when did they loose the ability to throw switches to suit their needs? So, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong and/or missing please enlighten me. :eek:

These are not dumb questions. I am sure some of us experience the same things. I, for one, do:

1) If a train refuses to go to an industry or track mark, usually is because there is a missing switch between where you are and the target. Drive manually slowly and observe the run carefully. At intervals stop and issue a "drive to" target and see where the AI takes over. Do this until you are almost very near the target. No, good? set a test track with that industry (target) and attach a piece of track, a consist and issue the command. It has to work.

2) The train sits there and refuses to change a set of points ahead to continue the intended run. I found that when you run a schedule by AI the first time, points change as they should. But saving the session, and returning to it, may or will create the problem. The issue has been brought many times here in the forums and so far there is not even a comment on this from N3V. I also found that usually the problem arises when the points are ahead by 2 or more distant points from the loco. Some times train sits for a while (presumably calculating the route path) and then it changes it and proceeds. A silly solution would be to have a track mark in front of points, and command the train to drive to each track mark one at the time, so the points are changed when the loco is right there. Do that in busy yards and pretty soon you have a crazy mess. IT's are supposed to fix that and they work. My problem with then is that if you have several trains running, the action becomes complex and does not allow for the flexibility you may want of running anywhere freely. Last on this: Make a yard for test with many points and intricate layout. Don't put any signals or semaphores. Issue commands to run by passing many points. Chances are that the train will find the path easily. Now add signals. Chances are that just because a point ahead is misaligned, the signal would be red and the train will not proceed. You may think that signals mess things, but in reality it is AI inability to set the path properly. In a way, during the times of 04, the AI was more able to do this. However, there were several other shortcomings, so on subsequent iterations, somethings got better and others got screwed.. for the sake of progress.

I take the time to write all this for posterity. I am sure that sooner or later someone is going to complain or talk about it again.

@llebrez
IMHO I think sometimes a restart of a whole project from scratch will cleanup a huge amount of unsolvable issues. So someone can let flood in the experiences from the previous projects and parallel feed the projects with new, alternative approaches and ideas.

Are you referring to "LP Engineered Woods?" I sent an AI driver there and he had no problems driving into the building. But once he goes in he won't come out. Driver message says "No path to selected destination" when directed to go to any of the other 3 industries or track marks.

Are you referring to "LP Engineered Woods?" Indeed I am. In my case he is driving in forwards from the southern branch, whereas if it had come from the eastern leg, it would have to reverse in. Wonder which way you did it?

"Find Object" shows 4 "Industry" types. (Driver > Tools menu > Find Object > "Type" = Industry)

Did that, and... only 2 real industries sadly. One of those merely points to another location in LP Engineering, the other to a building near the "disused" timber yard. That really makes the route useless IMHO, which is a shame given its beauty. But how many times do you drive from one end to the other before you get bored? In my case, very quickly. It leaves little to do.

How long have you had TRS-19? I see you joined the forum over a year ago. There are so many routes available on DLS for free that have so many industries and so much to do. Surely you have come across some that you like?

Well I'm more into making sessions and routes and I have a heap of freeware routes. Been around over, well exactly 2 years I see. I like to make sessions for routes I know people have, my own route (WIP) has 30+ industries, over a 96 km mainline and very short branch lines. I shall have a look at UMR2020. Thanks.

When I ran the 2 rocky mountaineer sessions, it was noted that there was a missing switch (points) lever.
Also, iirc, a missing track marker.
For the passenger service, one could simply (manually) adjust the commands and the switch was ok.
If you're trying to set a route, then a missing switch lever will produce the "no route" message.

To rectify this problem, you need to examine the route you plan switching switch, then edit the session layer. It's a bit tedious.

Colin

I have a dumb question:
Does TRS19 SP1 get automatically installed with new installations of TRS2019?

The latest version of TRS19 SP1 will have the latest updates for the program its self so there's no need to download any additional patch once installed if that's what you're asking.

When you finalize your content through the in-game content downloader, or Content Store in Platinum and up, you'll receive the latest versions of everything that's available at the time.

The latest version of TRS19 SP1 will have the latest updates for the program its self so there's no need to download any additional patch once installed if that's what you're asking.

When you finalize your content through the in-game content downloader, or Content Store in Platinum and up, you'll receive the latest versions of everything that's available at the time.

https://store.trainzportal.com/products/trainz-railroad-simulator-2019 but when you buy this you still get SP1 automatically right?

Dear Alikiwi,

1 before we go into the details of why and wth, let me know what is the route's exact name and kuid.
Than i can see myself if for the xx time tracks,switches,switch levers,trackpoints,markers etc get a life of their own and are gone or simply stop working.
Any of my routes has been carfeully and long time tested before release so it is not just simple negligence of a sort.

2 if you are familiar with the route and the geographic location and the fact this is a prototypical route than one should understand that in the mountains it is obvious there are few industries but for sure more than 2 and most are forest related and or mining or in my case also a lot of large consist east and west bound coming from Vancouver or Calgary on their way thru.

3 Hkoster1 has made interesting sessions on this traffic east and west bound and also allows user to pickup a stranded consist and or loc along the route.

4 Since TRS19 my real Subdivisions where much larger and as such had than of course many more industries to serve but unfortunately these very large Subdivisions succumbed to N3V TRS19 resulting in any given route was suddenly 30% or more heavy and the at that time limit of =/-1.3 GB upload packaging route for DLC made my big routes useless for the time being.
Had as such for the last 1.5 to 2 years being busy creating sub sections and made them as good as possible functioning with industries and activities.
The good news is that probably end of this year i can think of recreating the full Subdivisions again when tzarc will allow up to 4 GB of uploadable content to the DLC....
The bad news is this is a lot of work for me once more to handle but that is for later.
Driving trains and large heavy consists over the mountain passes is not just sit and lean back enjoying the beautiful scenery but involves skills not to get stuck.
Anyway awaiting you response at your ealiest convenience and see how we get this cow of the track.

Did that, and... only 2 real industries sadly. One of those merely points to another location in LP Engineering, the other to a building near the "disused" timber yard. That really makes the route useless IMHO, which is a shame given its beauty. But how many times do you drive from one end to the other before you get bored? In my case, very quickly. It leaves little to do.

another stupid question: Is there a list of all of the stuff built into the North American version of TRS19? (that includes locomotives, rolling stock, commands, scenery, everything)

But how many times do you drive from one end to the other before you get bored? In my case, very quickly. It leaves little to do.

With no real destinations the route is probably best suited to switching scenarios. The yard at Golden is mostly concerned with servicing coal hoppers. I was considering a scenario where an arriving coal train's cars are inspected and some cars are marked for repairs which the player then sets out for servicing. There are also wayfreights between Golden and Cranbrook on the Windermere sub so there is some potential for more colourful switching scenarios there too, e.g. preparing those for departure and sorting incoming trains.

There is also the silica plant at Moberly though I'm not familiar with the way it's rail access is operated.

Last edited:
With no real destinations the route is probably best suited to switching scenarios. The yard at Golden is mostly concerned with servicing coal hoppers. I was considering a scenario where an arriving coal train's cars are inspected and some cars are marked for repairs which the player then sets out for servicing. There are also wayfreights between Golden and Cranbrook on the Windermere sub so there is some potential for more colourful switching scenarios there too, e.g. preparing those for departure and sorting incoming trains.

There is also the silica plant at Moberly though I'm not familiar with the way it's rail access is operated.

I've made my own sessions based around these routes. They're not spectacular but they keep me busy for hours sometimes. These are similar to other sessions I have put together for my own routes. With yard at Golden, I allow the AI to run through trains while I switch the yard and setup consists to go 'elsewhere'. I'll stop AI trains, uncouple the locomotive and have the AI drivers drive their engines to the engine servicing area while I switch in and out various freight cars. Once I'm done, I have the AI couple on and continue on their routes. This process can be quite complicated especially if there's a tight window between other AI-driven trains passing through the area such as the "Canadian" CP Rail premier passenger train I setup as a run through on the mainline.

Rob,John,

exactly run your own little sessions/scenario's as Golden offers especially a lot of long haul go thru consists and hot wheels or loco's to repair. Also like you said and what i did a lot in Revelstoke sessions is rebuild consists from incoming long haulers and send them east or west.
Revelstoke has a 'lot' of industries and for sure more than 2 so there is a lot of action if you into that.
I did setup the sessions there in such a way that you not required to supply or load from industries that request for it and there is no order and as such no time constraint or pressure on a user. The request keep coming in and it is up to the user what he does with it and when.

Back