Unlock a junction

wbmfishman

How do you unlock a junction. I build it in surveyor. But when I go to driver it won’t switch I get a yellow circle with a lock icon and I can’t unlock it. Any suggestions?

Assuming you mean, you set it up in a session, you have a trigger set to activate it. Edit the session, and go to "set junction". You should find you have left it "locked" as this is the (odd) default setting. Everytime you set these up, you have to unlock them, assuming it's similar to Tane, which TRS19 is as well.

Hi, I'm using Trainz modelrailroad. I went to the edit session and cannot find "set junction". I can find a big drop down menu and can click on Icons and hit edit but cannot find edit junction. Still need help to unlock the junctions. Thank you

Normally junctions lock because an AI train is about to pass over them or a train is sat too close. If the latter is causing an issue you can decrease the locking distance form the 20 m default using the trigger radius tool in surveyor.

Thank you.

Watched real close and saw the locked when train was close to junction. Can you edit trigger radius for each junction individually or do you need to delete the junction and replace it with the trigger set to 1? Is trigger same as locking?

You have to change each junction individually. All new junctions you put down default to 20 m locking radius.

Triggers are an additional component you can place on the track in order to control things during interactive sessions, it just happens that trigger radius tool is the same one you can use to change the locking radius on junctions.

Thank you.

Watched real close and saw the locked when train was close to junction. Can you edit trigger radius for each junction individually or do you need to delete the junction and replace it with the trigger set to 1? Is trigger same as locking?

Yes you can edit the trigger radius.

Open track pull-out tab, or press F4.
Click on the trackmark mode tab - the one on the far right.
Click on advanced at the bottom of the tab.
You'll see 4 items:

Get trigger radius - default is 20 meters
A place to type in numbers
Set trigger radius
Adjust radius.

Type in a smaller number - 5 meters is good so type 5.00 (You can experiment later to find the best one to suit your needs).

Click on Set trigger radius.
Click on the switch.

This sets the radius of how close the consist has to be to lock the switch. Now keep in mind that this does not affect AI drivers who are setting paths to destinations on your route.

I set mine to 1 mt. Yes you have to do each of them, so I set the value and go around the yards clicking everything in sight (for triggers and trackmarks you should evaluate what is best for the intended purpose, so be careful). Once you have your points set, and you are satisfied, be warned: Next time you do a Data Base Repair, some of them may revert to default 20m ! and you have to do it all over again. Don't know why but it may happen.

I'd be curious to know why things like this, "global" settings of "default" trigger radius, or default switch lever are not items that can be set-up in the TrainzOptions.txt, or other "global" configurations, or some-such way.
-I know you can change the "default" switch lever and a few other things in "regions", but that really only affects a start from scratch route building. Even if changing an existing Route's "Region", it will not replace the switch levers, or environment variables, just the road traffic, or new additions to the route in Edit Route mode.

Also remember that although you have set the radius at say 1m the actual locking distance depends on the speed of the approaching train, i.e. for a fast train it will be a considerably further distance away.

Also remember that although you have set the radius at say 1m the actual locking distance depends on the speed of the approaching train, i.e. for a fast train it will be a considerably further distance away.
Totally agree. There is another situation: A train has a "Drive, or navigate To" command. It approaches a set of points from one of the diverging tracks. Normally, the command will switch the points so it can pass/continue the path. But I have seen situations where the point is switched to the wrong side, and the train will sit there waiting for a change that may switch or may never happen. This situation could be due to another incoming train from the opposite side of the line taking a diverging path, and once it passes, releases the lock, the switch changes and the stopped train proceeds. So far, so very good. But some times without a train coming, the points are locked the wrong way, and the only way to fix the problem is to set the stopped train to manual, the points unlock and you proceed manually until clearing the stubborn point, then you do a continue schedule and all is normal again. My conclusion is that "Nothing is perfect.."

I have started to have junctions locked while in surveyor. They can not change direction except by delete and replace. This is the base session I load and save before I go to driver.

Back