Would a Macbook Air be decently capable of running Trainz?

I used to play a lot of Trainz on an old Mac desktop and later on a beefier Windows laptop that still wasn't too fast, those have both broken and all I have left is my computer for school, a Macbook Air I got a few months ago, new. How well would this run Trainz? Is it worth spending the 60-odd dollars to buy it? I miss playing, and I had an idea for a model railroad I wanted to make. (Funnily enough, I just noticed on the version branch that TS 2 Mac is now showing up, and it never did when I used to play.)

I used to play a lot of Trainz on an old Mac desktop and later on a beefier Windows laptop that still wasn't too fast, those have both broken and all I have left is my computer for school, a Macbook Air I got a few months ago, new. How well would this run Trainz? Is it worth spending the 60-odd dollars to buy it? I miss playing, and I had an idea for a model railroad I wanted to make. (Funnily enough, I just noticed on the version branch that TS 2 Mac is now showing up, and it never did when I used to play.)
Depends on the graphics card, what are the specs of the air? You say it's new, they only appear to have iris plus built in graphics which don't have a lot of oomph.

I think that would be the main bottleneck, but I prefer smaller routes anyway which might be able to keep it running ok. I checked the other specs and they at least meet the minimum requirements.

I would think that a Macbook Air would be totally inadequate specs for running Trainz

Well Middleton was designed to run on Intel integrated graphics series 4000 or better. It costs nothing to load it and try.

Cheerio John

Maybe, but it's not guaranteed. I play Trainz on a used 2017 MBP 13 that is the base model (I seriously need better storage), and T:ANE works... fine. If I don't play Trainz for about 2 days or more, my Mac is gonna have to verify it even though it's done that multiple times before, which is... quite annoying, to say the least. A Macbook Air is probably not ideal, but it could work. However, N3V did say on their store T:ANE need an Intel i5 for Mac, and same with TS19. Also, it does say for TS19 on N3V's site it requires an AMD graphics card, which for Macbooks is only available in the 16-inch model. So... possibly. Hopefully, but I'm not entirely sure.

What model year is the air? I’m using a 2014 Mac Mini with 2019 and Catalina.

I downloaded and installed Trainz 2019 on our AIR this morning and it does run without any problems I noticed in the short time I ran it. I tried driver and surveyor. I don't have much storage on our Air, so I had to delete it.

Last edited:
Back