What does this signal do. Hi Res Images?

I'm trying to figure out exactly where that is. Is there a connecting track to one of the other subs coming up. Probably the same type of lighted arrow or DV again. So it's mile 13.7 (I am at work so I'm not sure) but is this heading north towards the York Sub where the connecting track to York is located at the overpass by Mac Yard? If so that would make sense.

It is odd that the center track C or perhaps connecting is to the left of the W signal. Don't have the latest timetable of the area to verify this either.

Thanks

Sean

It's north of the crossover, and south of the Highway 407 bridge, here to be exact https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7950...rcl_V8Gwq54F4jOpwJRw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Just grasping at straws here, could it be some form of indication for the switch here: https://goo.gl/maps/NDUpoP3XkUUxPGUp8 without tying into the primary control point directly? Definitely doesn't seem like a "normal" thing to do but it's clearly not a "normal" signal.

It is odd that the center track C or perhaps connecting is to the left of the W signal. Don't have the latest timetable of the area to verify this either.
Particularly given the limited aspects available on the "C" versus the "W" I assumed the "C" was for Controlled Siding. (Granted, a control point signal having a number plate is a foreign concept to me in the US anyway so I could be way off base)

Last edited:
Yeah in Canada number plates are on all signals. The original video here in Canada shows an intermediate on the far right signal (staggered aspects). The two on the left is part of a control point.

I'll check that location later.

Thanks

Sean

This is just a guess, but I think that it could be a lighted S, or rule 430 of the CROR rulebook. Because I don’t think it is a high water marker due to there being no water tunnel. Another possibility is that it could be a flashing arrow. That I don’t know what that means but I know it’s either on or used to be on the Bala Sub. Here is rule 430
bb507531-dd7b-41b9-9ff6-aa1ee706033a

Last edited:
I am bringing back this thread once again because of another signal I don't know the meaning of, these types of signals were on the Newmarket Sub when GO Transit started building double track sections before the CTC was implemented in 2014. This isn't a signal that can show restrictive indications due to the fact it doesn't have a number plate, it has two heads along with some kind of satellite thing on the side, what's odd is that these signals are facing away from the track. This was taken in September of 2011.
K8MfcQs.png

The tower is ATCS. Usually when signals face away from the track they are being put in service but are not in service yet. What is odd is I only see 1 head thus far. Is this what it looks like today? Stamford Sub ATCS finally just went online this month. For those unfamiliar this is a codeline over airwaves that ATCS software can code to display TD3 dispatch boards. In other words you get to see what the dispatcher sees for the most part (not counting data errors on how far you are from the signals). There is a server for Southern Ontario. The Newmarket Sub has been ATCS for some time but I'm not sure how far. What is also odd is this is right at a switch which normally would not be the location of a signal for interlocking. Are there are signals nearby?

Thanks

Sean

OK now this makes sense. This is the control point at Kirby now.

If you look at a recent image you'll see the same switch point and heater but the manual switch has been removed with no sign of the former signal.

That image you had was right as ATCS was going into service. The manual switch was removed and replaced with the electric switches you see at the switch now, and is ATCS. So that ABS signal with heads facing in both directions was taken out of service when the image was captured.

Thanks

Sean

Back