What does this signal do. Hi Res Images?

This signal is located at the Steeles Avenue crossing at Milliken GO station, it is a part of the CROR signal rules but I don't know what it does. It never lights up, and unlike most one headed signals it does not have a R plate n the bottom for restricting. What does it do? And this signal appears to be only able to show one colour. If I need it for my route I won't understand it. I don't think it is deactivated as most deactivated signals have their heads facing to the left or the right.

Here it is for reference.
hqlEwTPENom5uGX4OlR3jD6rXGXCShF74lOSJXeh4ssa4OheI5MFpfXPxzfUEp2XbR6oKjSL2CeYAOrPSNSbVFPVitmyoGXNyc3zh0nQOyiZXQD_K42PHNrYo83_dt8foK8WDQ2Vp-mJ22gthdCCxOnoLb6ZY0uifPsRrZqD9HO0-LEZDWE39aC8KEG2keckv97BDBbO-L5BunyIDg00oS4yUuXvwSM479SCjQgfIcM1aZcnxJDXJi1x3FYjhcAD32BmX7L3v2z4ZdFoa3TYcZvTL0hiNJBK_0y0MAbFQNT3NAdArS6ex-VWdF6SOhTNgb70R8lcM1lsfC3RKygXaq3aVRaWwkokwBErPE8EqJ9hktxbjtNakUSIcaO6J6E-NA55cQwqG8Sz2KHK3KWzwTLanB68V3IPRUR7bK7Mr7F76UCvIbKAIYnDGb9w7nlrqtDT_pcxNpEgNx-sIe9xnh2tu1l-BuqP37q0XqKsqWntkDP1o23HPi3HOpo0OoyFf3y0mfpyEpoJOIc_MDs2H6aSMfimzeV0L4rHdV-X8G58Cg9HnYtIcvMCq839kvGAhD25Ckyg7WavxGP9fGlaqtbGZBk-VuvvNpENIO62z6wbbcUaVC-7IJa3AtJV5zY9E-YXdB9d-VFdfGkso9I22XCu4G4vRjnQGTTEttffbTuj2TMTYqG41yIsWbKZNg=w1723-h969-no

We can't see the picture. You need to use a host such as imgur.com. Use the share image, copy the information for forums and paste it here.

Maybe it is a distant signal, and only lights up when an oncoming train is approaching from behind it, or when another train is stopped in the same block ahead ?

That would make sense, but from what I know I don't think distant signals are in the CROR.

That would make sense, but from what I know I don't think distant signals are in the CROR.

It could be an advance signal, aka distant signal that so happens to be approach-lit. Approach-lit signals are used to save power and only come on when a circuit turns the signal on. I used to use this as a way to determine whether I would sit trackside at an ice cream stand I used to frequent near the railroad, or grab my ice cream and continue to the nearby park located away from the tracks. Most of the time, I sat trackside and enjoyed the passing trains. The approach-lit signals would light up like crazy and I could tell if something was coming. One direction was a dual-headed US&S searchlight that protected the single-to double track and the other direction was a distant signal.

https://www.railroadsignals.us/rulebooks/cror/

This explains the various aspects.

Did you notice the orange boxes on the left. in your photo? I think they're missing some dependencies! :D

It could be an advance signal, aka distant signal that so happens to be approach-lit. Approach-lit signals are used to save power and only come on when a circuit turns the signal on. I used to use this as a way to determine whether I would sit track side at an ice cream stand I used to frequent near the railroad, or grab my ice cream and continue to the nearby park located away from the tracks. Most of the time, I sat track side and enjoyed the passing trains. The approach-lit signals would light up like crazy and I could tell if something was coming. One direction was a dual-headed US&S searchlight that protected the single-to double track and the other direction was a distant signal.

https://www.railroadsignals.us/rulebooks/cror/

This explains the various aspects.

Did you notice the orange boxes on the left. in your photo? I think they're missing some dependencies! :D

John as always, you are a fountain of knowledge,

I have a few Signal Rule books, but this one I did not have.......

Thank you Sir for adding more knowledge to trainz experience.......

John as always, you are a fountain of knowledge,

I have a few Signal Rule books, but this one I did not have.......

Thank you Sir for adding more knowledge to trainz experience.......

You're welcome, Blue! What else do I have to do in my spare time these days except help my fellow Trainzers. :D

It could be too that I love signals and the electronics that makes them work. I even applied for a signal maintainer's job back in the 1980's but didn't take it because the pay was pretty awful compared to my tech job I had at the time.

Well I used to like approach lit signals myself, but I'm not a big fan of approach lit control points. CP uses quite a bit of these on various subs and CN uses them further east on the Kingston Sub. Thankfully from Niagara I still have ATCS which is a lifesaver. Unlike our friends just over the border from me for CSX which has gone satellite.

Thanks

Sean

I take it that picture is of the Newmarket Sub, or Bala? Can't make it out. I'm familiar with both subs but I'm not familiar with that location in particular.

Thanks

Sean

I take it that picture is of the Newmarket Sub, or Bala? Can't make it out. I'm familiar with both subs but I'm not familiar with that location in particular.

Thanks

Sean

Actually that is the CN Uxbridge Sub(or the GO Transit Stoufville Line).

I am bringing this thread back because I found another signal that I don't know its meaning
Cywdvnb.png

This signal is north of the Richmond Hill GO Station on the CN Bala Sub. I can't see the aspects but there is a small 4th light below the three main ones, I have heard of a illuminated S on certain signals but I think that's only for sidings and yards and this is on a mainline, does anyone know what the fourth light means?

On the Bala it's likely a flashing arrow, but I can't say for sure. CN has been using these to represent direction of the path when a speed signal would not display routing. This is also true at Snake on the Oakville Sub to help engineers get ready for the escarpment if heading in advance of the Dundas Sub.

Thanks

Sean

Also show an image looking the other way. I believe this might be indicating the direction of an advanced approach to the wye at Doncaster. You get a routing 3 directions here. South to Union, West towards Kingston or East toward Toronto MAC & BIT. The West East directions would get the same advance speed indication I believe.

Thanks

Sean

I am bringing this thread back because I found another signal that I don't know its meaning
*Pic Removed*
This signal is north of the Richmond Hill GO Station on the CN Bala Sub. I can't see the aspects but there is a small 4th light below the three main ones, I have heard of a illuminated S on certain signals but I think that's only for sidings and yards and this is on a mainline, does anyone know what the fourth light means?
That 4th signal indicator illuminates the letters DV when a train is lined into the Richmond Hill Commuter Track. DV stands for DIVERGING which indicates do not exceed 25 MPH passing signal and through turnout. Here is an example of what im talking about. The illuminated S doesn't exist on CN.

dvlights.PNG

This signal is located at the Steeles Avenue crossing at Milliken GO station, it is a part of the CROR signal rules but I don't know what it does. It never lights up, and unlike most one headed signals it does not have a R plate n the bottom for restricting. What does it do? And this signal appears to be only able to show one colour. If I need it for my route I won't understand it. I don't think it is deactivated as most deactivated signals have their heads facing to the left or the right.

Here it is for reference.

That light is a high water indicator for the tunnel under Regional Road 71 and the CN York Sub. If the light is illuminated (lunar color), the tunnel is clear of water. Extinguished, means there is flooding (or the other way around i dont remember). It does not display any signal indication. For it to be a real signal that displayed restrictive indications, it would require a number plate.

Sorry once again for bringing this thread back but I found another signal that I don't know the meaning of, this setup is north of the crossover from the CN Newmarket and the CN York Sub. It is already odd as the signal(137W) is on the far left from the track. And if you look between signals 137C and 137W there is a small light in between them. What does it mean? It isn't lit up like the other heads and there isn't a water tunnel unlike at Milliken. Does anyone know?
cVuWqHB.png

I'm trying to figure out exactly where that is. Is there a connecting track to one of the other subs coming up. Probably the same type of lighted arrow or DV again. So it's mile 13.7 (I am at work so I'm not sure) but is this heading north towards the York Sub where the connecting track to York is located at the overpass by Mac Yard? If so that would make sense.

It is odd that the center track C or perhaps connecting is to the left of the W signal. Don't have the latest timetable of the area to verify this either.

Thanks

Sean

Back