Weird clicking on a centerbeam?

acyunczyk

Virtual railroader
Hello,
Earlier this evening I was out railfanning in North Charleston, SC. A manifest came out of the yard and stopped short of a grade crossing, at which point something under one of the centerbeam flats, possibly around the middle of the car, started clicking. It lasted for about 20 seconds, then reduced in frequency before it stopped. The train reversed about two car lengths, then stopped, and the clicking happened again. I thought it might be a defect on the car, but a few minutes later the train left. I've been around a lot of freight cars, and I've never heard this before. Any ideas on what it was? I can provide a video once I have it edited and uploaded.

Sticky brake piston perhaps? I have been around many trains and have never heard that either. The only other things I can think of would be loose chain or vibrating pipe.
cheers
Graeme

Sticky brake piston perhaps? I have been around many trains and have never heard that either. The only other things I can think of would be loose chain or vibrating pipe.
cheers
Graeme
I don't think that something vibrating would be the cause, as it only clicked when the train was completely stopped, and there was no wind to rattle anything. If it helps, the car was maybe a fifth into the train and fully loaded.

I wonder if the air is being pumped into the cylinders to keep the pressure up. What you are hearing is the pipe expanding a little with the pressure increasing.

Loose pipe clamp or sticky valve would be my guess

I'd be more concerned with the nearly worn out brake shoes

Back