New PC, old hard drive?

2995Valliant

I am just in the process of building a new PC. The current machine served me well, but it's getting on a bit now and it became very apparent when I upgraded from a GTX970 to a GTX1080ti earlier this year that the i7-2600 was now something of a bottleneck.

The new machine has a M.2 Samsung 970Evo plus for the OS and a 2TB Crucial MX500 for everything else.

However, I have a less than 18 month old 1tb Crucial MX500 in the old PC which is dedicated to Trainz - what pitfalls am I likely to hit if I pull this out of the old PC and drop it into the new one rather than copying and re-installing TS12/T:ANE and TRS19 and the 500GB of content from one machine to another?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Other than setting up shortcuts and assigning cdp to TANE.exe or TRS19.exe and resetting the local data folder locations for TANE and TRS19 in the launcher settings, none I can think of so long as your local data folder is on that SSD, I've moved drives from one PC to another as well as copying installs to another PC.

Hi Malc,

Yes, the local data folder is on the same drive.

I'm just waiting for the OS to arrive now and then I can get on with it!

Many thanks,

Anthony

I transferred my 1TB Trainz SSD from my old to my new computer, assigned the same drive letter to it and had no problems

A shiny new copy of Windows 10 arrived this morning and all went smoothly from a Trainz point of view - the inability to install said OS due to an out of date BIOS on the motherboard was another thing entirely!

Interestingly, the CPU (now an i5-9600k) is still running pretty well flat out while the GTX loped along at 50%. To be fair though I'm seeing 45-50fps (never less than 37) on a very detailed route with everything including draw distance maxed out and custom post processing settings.

I've also gone for a basic watercooling setup (Corsair H45) and I can't get over quiet it is.

Back