Is Trainz 19 better optimized for Nvidia or AMD Graphic Cards? (Upgrading my GPU)

Hi all. I recently upgraded my old 1080p monitor to a new 1440p 144hz one, and my GTX 1060 doesn't hold on very well with Trainz in 1440p with high settings, so I've been looking to upgrade it. I'm deciding between the RTX 2060 Super, possible the more expensive RTX 2070 Super even, or the AMD RX 5700 XT. The 5700 XT has performance in most games similiar to the in-between spot of the 2060S and the 2070S, although some games are better optimized for 5700 XT and some are better optimized for Nvidia. So, my question was: was is the best choice here regarding playing Trainz 19 in 1440p at High/Ultra settings with a smooth frame rate? Would love to hear some of your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance!

One point to consider is that the TurfFX grass effects (and possibly the ground Clutter effects as well - but I am uncertain on that one) is an Nvidia product (not N3V) and only works on Nvidia cards.

One point to consider is that the TurfFX grass effects (and possibly the ground Clutter effects as well - but I am uncertain on that one) is an Nvidia product (not N3V) and only works on Nvidia cards.
I thought that too, but was informed by nv3 that these features work on amd cards as well as Nvidia Gpus , but they do not work on the apple version of 2019 as the os doesn't support it.

If your motherboard has a Nvidia chipset then it is likely that a AMD card will have trouble if it works at all. Download the free program CPU-Z to see who made your chipset. The mainboard tab will tell you.

William

Haven't seen any Nvidia chipsets for a long time discontinued in 2009 due to legal issues with Intel. Prior to that Nvidia chipsets were used in both AMD and Intel PCs.

As far as Trainz is concerned Nvidia seem to be the better choice at present for high end cards that of course can change.

I thought that too, but was informed by nv3 that these features work on amd cards as well as Nvidia Gpus

Thank you for that. I was tossing up whether to include TurfFX in my current project because of my belief that it would not work on AMD GPUs. I will now go ahead and try it out.

Back