Authorization

Bill69 - simply a misspelling of 'efficiency'. Unfortunately, MANY config.txt files have more than their fair share of such errors, exacerbated by the fact that so many of our wonderful creators do not speak English as their first language - and many who do - don't speak (or write) it well in any event!

Many verbs that end with the suffix -ize in American English, end with -ise in British English. ... Both are perfectly correct English spellings. Typically British English speakers prefer 'authorise' and American English speakers prefer 'authorize', but in fact both spellings are correct 'British' usage.

What ever spelling works properly in Trainz without errors, and if that same spelling is used by all of N3V, then whichever of those spelling(s) is correctly used in Trainz, that is correct for Trainz

British (English) spelling predated US American dictionaries Americanized spelling, and if that same Australian spelling is in Trainz, the decision is N3V's choice

Funnily enough, we British used to use the "z" spellings some centuries ago. It may even be that the Yankers continued with it whilst the Limeys adopted the "s" just to annoy them (which is easy). :) The dafties still use imperial measurments an'all. Imperial, as in "subjects of the British Empire". Hee hee heee.

Lataxe

Funnily enough, we British used to use the "z" spellings some centuries ago. It may even be that the Yankers continued with it whilst the Limeys adopted the "s" just to annoy them (which is easy). :) The dafties still use imperial measurments an'all. Imperial, as in "subjects of the British Empire". Hee hee heee.

Lataxe

Yup and we too use imperial measurements as well. Go figure there was even a fight to adopt metric and the gov't thought people would be confused because metric is too hard. Seriously.

The spelling thing started in 1806 as a way to make spelling easier and consistent.

https://www.mic.com/articles/67657/5-ways-noah-webster-made-the-english-language-american

RE: "to make spelling easier and consistent)
For most of the worlds history there has been no "rules." I was shocked when reading a railroading book that Time Zone were essentially a Railroading necessity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone

Before that, for the history of the world, each town, city, hamlet, whatever, could set the clock however they wanted. Imagine that. Something as important as "the time" and there were no rules. How did we manage?

For most of the worlds history there has been no "rules." I was shocked when reading a railroading book that Time Zone were essentially a Railroading necessity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone

Before that, for the history of the world, each town, city, hamlet, whatever, could set the clock however they wanted. Imagine that. Something as important as "the time" and there were no rules. How did we manage?

Interesting isn't it! How did we manage? Everything I suppose is relative. Up until the modern times, clocks didn't even have a seconds hand, and the minute hand was non-existent until the mid-19th century. This was also the same with tuning musical instruments. Some regions and even cities had a different pitch than their neighbors so musicians going from Wiemar to Leipzig for example, would be faced with two different tunings. Wiemar may have used A=450 while Leipzig used A=438, and there were higher and lower pitches in each and every town in between. The thing is when everyone is in tune no one knows the difference because everything is relative and in relation to the other. The same is true for the overall pitch of an instrument. I tune my clavichord to A=415. When playing a C on the instrument it sounds like a C, but when compared to a modern piano tuned at A=440 hz, it sounds flat because A=415 hz is a semi-tone lower.

Yes, time, as in clock-watching, time & motion, timetables etcetera .... is a filthy invention of The Victorians (like work). :) Personally I haven't worn a watch since I retired 14 years ago; and I have no phone or other personal device that might mention "the" time. It can make a surprising difference to how you "feel" the world when it isn't mediated via minute-by-minute style time allied to some sort of schedule. In fact, I often don't know (or care) what day it is; and this makes life even more "natural" feeling.

Mind, the collies insist on telling me the time. Time to get up, for the morning walk, for the the lunch, the afternoon walk, the tea, the .... etcetera. Them dawgs have an internal clock far more accurate than any railway one!

Lataxe

Since it would be rare for most people to go five miles beyond their village it didn't matter what the time was thought to be anywhere else.

As a kid we never had watches all we knew was we had to be home before the sun went down behind the mountain

Back