TRS 2019 Platinum Edition keeps removing assets from routes.

ministerfarrigut

Owner of Keaton's Trainz
I bought 2019 Platinum 2 weeks ago and I've been pretty happy with it. What I am not happy with is 2019 Platinum *removing* assets from my routes in sometimes large quantities. It happens randomly, so it is hard to pinpoint the problem.

Here is an example. I will work on a route and save it periodically. This example took me about 8 hours ( a lot of free time out of work and school :hehe:). I will save it for a final time, run some engines on it and come back to it.

Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019_4_8_2020_1_57_28_PM.png

In this picture, you see the completed diorama.

Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019_4_9_2020_10_43_07_PM.png

When I come back to it. This almost always happens after I save it as a cdp and also do the same to it's dependancies. I'm thinking it's possibly related to another problem; that when I submit edits for faulty content, they become "untitled."

This is a less severe example. I've made entire routes recently that have had all of the assets but the textures disappear, and by that, I mean there are no visible assets. They are not faulty. There aren't even spline points. My backups is set to 1 per the advice of a fellow Trainz user regarding a different problem. Keep in mind, I'm only complaining now because it goes on and on and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm 95% sure it's not the game and it's user error, but I'm lost.

Ok, it seems like you may have been building in the session layer rather than the route layer. A switch from driver to surveyor with UDS will automatically put you on the session layer upon return to surveyor. Always check the layer you are in when returning to surveyor.
A likely fix is to merge the session layer into the route layer.
cheers
Graeme

Hello, grazlash. Thank you for the tip. I have 16 sessions and only one is the correct one. But for some reason, it won't let me merge them. Session layer wont work and even saving the session as a new route won't work.

Last edited:
.... A switch from driver to surveyor with UDS will automatically put you on the session layer upon return to surveyor. Always check the layer you are in when returning to surveyor.....

cheers
Graeme

I agree with Graeme. This is a real trap for UDS Newbies, and one I also learnt the hard way. I now try and make a habit of switching layers as the first thing I do on entering Surveyor. But I still occasionally get caught out.

It would be nice if UDS automatically started in the layer you were last editing.

Last edited:
I'll definitely be more aware next time. It irks me how random it is. With some it's fine, but others like this? Nah.

So begs the question: Since what graeme suggested didn't work, should I just wish the UDS gremlins away? :hehe: What would be the logical next step?

Wait, you said backups.

Could me having 0 daily backups be the culprit?

I'll definitely be more aware next time. It irks me how random it is. With some it's fine, but others like this? Nah.

So begs the question: Since what graeme suggested didn't work, should I just wish the UDS gremlins away? :hehe: What would be the logical next step?

Wait, you said backups.

Could me having 0 daily backups be the culprit?

Yikes 0 backups isn't good, and it's not the culprit, however, it's like walking on a tightrope without any net underneath and doing it daily until things get messed up. Well not that bad, but you get the idea. These backups are a bit cumbersome to work with. They require finding the tzarc file in the backups folder and copying that to the edit folder and running a DBR in Content Manager.

What I do is export my routes to CDPs more often than not with an extra one or two when I am making extensive changes on a route. I will also do a save as on my route and create a new version by calling it something else - usually a version number and date like Enfield & Eastern Ver. 5.6 --- 04-10-2020. I'll then exit Surveyor and then open up the new copy and continue editing from there. The process continues with each change. I'll backup the previous versions after a bit of time to CDP and delete them from Trainz to save disk space and make room on the route menu.

What I do is I create my route in Surveyor and do all my work in Surveyor. If I need to test something, like signals, or the look, I'll switch to driver and drive then go back to Surveyor and continue building without saving.

If I am in Driver, I will jump into Surveyor to fix things, but do not save the session when I do this. This is because this can ruin a good-working driver's session by putting everything out of place.

I'm taking a look at said article now, JCItron broight up the point I was trying to make. I tried saving the session as a new route, but it didn't work. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what. The session I tried to save was the one with the edits on it.

You can't save a session as a route, two totally different things, which is probably where your problem is. The suggestion was I believe to merge the session layer into the route layer, and make sure you don't have a ton of sessions. So, load the session where everything is present, open the layers and select to merge it into the route layer. You could save as, with a new name so you now have a back up which should become the main one.

You can't save a session as a route, two totally different things, which is probably where your problem is. The suggestion was I believe to merge the session layer into the route layer, and make sure you don't have a ton of sessions. So, load the session where everything is present, open the layers and select to merge it into the route layer. You could save as, with a new name so you now have a back up which should become the main one.

Yes, this is the best way out, IF you realise what you have done before exiting your editing session. However, I usually select the 'save route and not session option' out of habit as otherwise you run the risk of stuffing up your session. Which means that unfortunately I don't find out that my intended route changes were actually made in the Session Layer until its far too late.

I posted a suggestion on all this in the Suggestion Forum, but I don't think I did a great job of explaining the issue.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...veyor-switch-set-layer-to-the-last-used-layer

With my career background I believe in backing up the backups of my backups. Send them off-site. Send them to the cloud. Send them to your mum to look after! One day you WILL be glad you did. However no strategy for backups can save you if you accidentally/unintentionally discard your changes !

Hopefully either Tony or Chris will read this thread.

Last edited:
Hello, grazlash. Thank you for the tip. I have 16 sessions and only one is the correct one. But for some reason, it won't let me merge them. Session layer wont work and even saving the session as a new route won't work.

I already did say that merging the two didn't work, so I'm grasping. I suppose there really isn't a way to fix it, and if so, ah well.

The merging process involves two or more routes but only a single session attached to the first route can be in the merge. In other words you cannot merge sessions, only routes.

I haven't seen any thing missing from my route but I am missing some items from content. I am sure I downloaded a few days ago some fixed track assets and today I wanted to use them and they were gone, I have to download them again. And I am just beginning into the world of TS19....

Back