New to TRS19 - Change locos in a session?

doc2015

Is there a way to change out a locomotive for a different one and not have it affect how the session plays out? When I try to change out locos, the session never registers the new loco and never progresses.

I'm new to Trainz 2019 and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately the identity of each locomotive is more often than not "hard wired" into the session rules that controls the operation of the session and sometime into the driver commands of other drivers which affects their operations. So swapping one loco for another and then starting the session will more than likely lead to the problem you have described.

There are ways around this but but they will require you to go into the Session Editor to locate and edit the assigned locos and/or drivers to get the session to work with the new locos. It is not impossible but does require a good knowledge of how session rules and some driver commands work so that you know what to look for and what to edit.

Exactly as Pware says. What you are looking for covers at least two areas. The navigation display (in edit session) may be set to a specific loco, so you need to change that to the one you want to use. Also it is likely most if not all "triggers" are set to that loco. Any that are, need to be changed to the one you've selected. Once that is done the session will run.

Usually the locomotives are identyfied by their name. Before deleting the original locomotive, copy its name from the property dialog. After adding the new locomotive, paste the original name in the properties dialog of the new one.

Peter

Usually the locomotives are identyfied by their name. Before deleting the original locomotive, copy its name from the property dialog. After adding the new locomotive, paste the original name in the properties dialog of the new one.

You should also use the same Driver name as in the original loco.

But unfortunately, some session rules allow a loco to be identified by its Class (e.g Class 47), not its name or its driver name.

Hi doc --

I'm assuming it's the locomotives that you drive? Not one controlled by AI?

If so, yes, you can swap out locomotives and rolling stock from within Driver. You need to use "Edit Trains". The following video was made pre-SP1. The Edit Trains is still accessed from the upper left of the screen, but you may have to do some digging to find it. You may also have to mouse click on the replacement locomotive to be able to drive it. Sometimes, not always.

Phil

Phil,

The swapping part is relatively easy. The problem is that when you do this as part of a session with session rules and driver commands running that depend on the loco not being swapped (i.e. the same loco always being present), then you can run into the situation described by the OP.

Ah, yes. Not my Chuck & Joe sessions where The Dispatcher tells C & J what the end result has to be, and off they do and do it.

It's those scripted sessions. Damn pop-ups, bubbles, direction arrows, scoring. Do it all in the correct order or it's "Game over man, game over":

watch

Phil

Thank you to everyone for the responses. I wish swapping session engines wasn't a complicated task.

Hi,

The locomotive is no longer available for these sessions: https://forums.auran.com/threads/sessions-for-santa-fe-needles-district.144201/#post-1658959

<kuid2:45324:110003:1> ATSF F7B
<kuid2:45324:110002:1> ATSF F7A

This is not a player's locomotive, but just to drive in a circle. It cannot be deleted because it is invisible.
I moved it to another track, and put a similar one from Auran with the same name in this place, but it stands still, not move.
How to properly replace a locomotive in a session if it is not available at all?

And thanks for all the previous helpful tips.

I deleted non-existing objects, the route and the session became version 5.0 instead of 4.6. After that, everything works as it should, but the cinematic camera stopped working.

Error: an attempt to change edit modes has been denied, as the necessary camera is disabled.

I deleted non-existing objects, the route and the session became version 5.0 instead of 4.6. After that, everything works as it should, but the cinematic camera stopped working.

Error: an attempt to change edit modes has been denied, as the necessary camera is disabled.

Make the original route and session your own by cloning them.

Open the session up in the Session editor.
In Trainz, click on the route.
Click on view sessions.
Click on that and click edit session.

With the session open, click on File then Save As

You'll be prompted to save either the Route and Session, or just the Session. Choose Route and Session.

This will give you a copy of the current session and the route that you can do as you want with and preserve everything that's already there.

Make the original route and session your own by cloning them.

Open the session up in the Session editor.
In Trainz, click on the route.
Click on view sessions.
Click on that and click edit session.

With the session open, click on File then Save As

You'll be prompted to save either the Route and Session, or just the Session. Choose Route and Session.

This will give you a copy of the current session and the route that you can do as you want with and preserve everything that's already there.
I've already done it all, the sessions are working, but the cinematic camera stopped working in the sessions.

Only the cinematic camera remains to be fixed, but I do not know how.

I've already done it all, the sessions are working, but the cinematic camera stopped working in the sessions.

Only the cinematic camera remains to be fixed, but I do not know how.
Hmmm.... I'm not familiar with the camera, but I wonder if that camera is connected somehow to the train it's following. If that's how it works, then that would make sense if there's an error even if the message doesn't make sense because the target is no longer there to follow.

Really, really, really stupid! For a game that the original maker sells tons of DLC for, not to mention the zillions of third party DLC. Just to use the DLC better there should have been an easy way to do this built into Trainz years ago. Poor value for money without and easy way to use DLC with exisiting content. Very very poor.

Really, really, really stupid! For a game that the original maker sells tons of DLC for, not to mention the zillions of third party DLC. Just to use the DLC better there should have been an easy way to do this built into Trainz years ago. Poor value for money without and easy way to use DLC with exisiting content. Very very poor.
I don't understand what you are saying. If you are referring to modifying DLC routes and sessions, then modifying a DLC route and session is no different than doing the same to one installed from the DLS or even from a third-party website in fact, there is nothing wrong with the original route and session. The OP wanted to modify the session and substitute a different locomotive.

When modifying someone else's content, whether it's DLC, from the DLC or installed via CDP files downloaded from some other website, the content will automatically be cloned when saved. This is by default since the person saving the modified content is not the owner of the original content.

This has always been the way it is.

Hi,

The locomotive is no longer available for these sessions: https://forums.auran.com/threads/sessions-for-santa-fe-needles-district.144201/#post-1658959

<kuid2:45324:110003:1> ATSF F7B
<kuid2:45324:110002:1> ATSF F7A

This is not a player's locomotive, but just to drive in a circle. It cannot be deleted because it is invisible.
I moved it to another track, and put a similar one from Auran with the same name in this place, but it stands still, not move.
How to properly replace a locomotive in a session if it is not available at all?

And thanks for all the previous helpful tips.
As it turned out, there is a better and simpler solution for this, which JCitron suggested: https://forums.auran.com/threads/missing-kuids-post-them-here.111942/post-2008193
Just dowload JR repaint from here: https://narailm.wixsite.com/narm/gaurcf7set
and change kuid to JR default <kuid2:45324:110003:1>,<kuid2:45324:110002:1>
After that used original session without changes, it works fine, including the cinematic camera and everything else.

Back