Redundant assets listed in session config.txt

Piere

G'day All,

Horacefithers has identified an issue where redundant assets still seem to be listed in a session config.txt file, in discussions about his wonderful Bear Creek & South Jackson route, Here

I went and looked at the config file for the sessions for my own mega-merged-route and discovered that I also have a ton of stuff listed that shouldn't be there.

When I first began populating my route, my intention was to have all the good quality locos and rolling stock available on it to run as I pleased. But this seemed to overwhelm the game and it was just too slow. So I have been gradually deleting more and more stuff to try and get it running smoothly but it is still very slow (If I just open the route and place a consist by itself, it runs nice and smooth, so I don't believe it's the size of the route that is the issue).

Looking at the config file shows that everything I put on there from the very beginning is still listed. Does this mean that the game is still loading up all those assets every time? That could explain why the game still seems so bogged down, no matter how much stuff I delete (although there is still a lot of assets on there). I should also note that I began this in TANE, ages ago, before I imported it into 2019 a couple of months ago. So all the excess assets were originally placed in TANE.

I have tried deleting missing assets in Unified-Driver-Surveyor and saving it as a whole new route and session, but everything is still listed in the config file.

Does the game try to load all the assets listed in a session config file? Would that explain why it gets bogged-down when I run my sessions?

It would be very handy to know how to fix this without having to delete each item one-by-one (which I would have no chance of doing as I wouldn't know which ones of the various assets were the ones still on the route).

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for dealing with this?

Cheers,
Piere.

The assets listed in the config file are only there so the game knows what to download.
What assets the game actually loads is based on the other files in the route or session asset (and in later versions of the game: where you are on the route).

I think it is bad that the game leaves no longer used assets in the config file (if it does so; not checked myself) and I do think it is a nice gesture to remove those out of it (as it saves people a lot of useless downloads), but I fear they will all be back in the list on your next save unless N3V fixes this bug.

Did you report this already as a bug to N3V? If not, could you please consider doing so?

The assets listed in the config file are only there so the game knows what to download.
What assets the game actually loads is based on the other files in the route or session asset (and in later versions of the game: where you are on the route).

I think it is bad that the game leaves no longer used assets in the config file (if it does so; not checked myself) and I do think it is a nice gesture to remove those out of it (as it saves people a lot of useless downloads), but I fear they will all be back in the list on your next save unless N3V fixes this bug.

Did you report this already as a bug to N3V? If not, could you please consider doing so?

G'day Oknotsen,

Thanks for the info. Do you think there's any chance that the redundant assets are still referenced elsewhere in the session file?

I haven't raised it as a ticket, but I've seen that HoraceFithers has done so, so I won't clog up the system with a double-up. I'll wait and see what he gets back.

Cheers,
Piere.

Yup this has been an issue for a very long time. I mentioned it ages ago but never got a response from those in the know at N3V way back in the TS12 or earlier days. I was thinking at the time that the list keeps appending, therefore, taking longer and longer to read at start up of the session, but after I recreated a session for a longtime route of mine, it didn't seem to make a difference. With that said, it still shouldn't happen.

Back