timsergey switch / turnout, junction templates

nicke

Appreciative Trainzer
At the time of writing this some 40 of us have downloaded all or some of timsergey's templates.
I'm wondering if anyone has sorted out how they work.
I've spent almost all my allocated "Trainz Time" on them today - without success.
I've assumed they work pretty much the same as previous templates, using the connection points to join the rails to the template and then delete the template.
Doesn't want to do that for me, even though the connection points all seem to be there.

They look like they will be a good quick way to get turnouts looking right, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any success attaching tracks.
Appreciate your comments.

Stay Safe
Cheers
NickE

There appears to be something missing, or we're not interpreting their use due to lack of destructions.

If anything, I would take the track "templates" and lay the track splines over them rather than use them as components for the switches.

At the time of writing this some 40 of us have downloaded all or some of timsergey's templates.
I'm wondering if anyone has sorted out how they work.
I've spent almost all my allocated "Trainz Time" on them today - without success.
I've assumed they work pretty much the same as previous templates, using the connection points to join the rails to the template and then delete the template.
Doesn't want to do that for me, even though the connection points all seem to be there.

They look like they will be a good quick way to get turnouts looking right, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any success attaching tracks.
Appreciate your comments.

Stay Safe
Cheers
NickE
I'm not entirely sure about timsergey's templates. They are fixed track assets but I think they work pretty much like a set of templates that I'm making for my own use. The pics are from an older version of one of my templates that can be used to make either a right, left or wye turnout from a single template. Each template represents a single frog number (a numeral based on the tangent of the half frog angle). Since the turnout is a function of track gauge there is a series of templates based on track gauge. Also there are several other factors such as length of switch blades, heel and point offset and length of tangent sections built into the turnout - all based on which design agency or railroad specified the design. So separate series of templates based on RR or design agency are also possible.

I can see some difference but the following pics show how mine work. I place a scenery asset (it's a kind buildable which is a scenery with track asset) in this case a SG #6 frog template and move and rotate it into position. I then "wire" up spline track sections to form 3 stub section of track. I use the straighten track tool on the 3 stub sections then I delete the scenery asset, connect up 2 sections of spline track, add a turnout lever and then connect the turnout up to the rest of the route.

In the following pics I use a procedural track to "wire" and connect up the turnout but standard spline track could be used and decorated with track-side frogs but they wouldn't have movable switch blades like the procedural track.

The important thing to recognize in the following pics is you can't "wire" up a single section of track between 2 vertices in a fixed track template or the buildable type template I use. It has to be done in 3 steps:
1) Connect 1 section of track from a vertex on the template to some point away from the template.
2) Connect a 2nd section from the end of the 1st track section to the 2nd vertex on the template.
3) Delete the intermediate spline vertex you just made and you end up with 1 section of track between the 2 vertices on the template.

Why all this extra work - only N3V knows so ask them - I don't have a clue.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

[NOTE: The template with the straightened track stubs attached (bottom left above) can be copied and pasted anywhere on the route. You can wire up a set of frog numbers (angles) you want to use from the series and then copy and past anyone of them as needed close to where you need it. You can then move the template with attached track around and rotate it into position or copy and paste a rotated one if several are needed and move into position and finish as described above.]

Maybe that gives you some ideas on how to use timsergey's templates.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
There appears to be something missing, or we're not interpreting their use due to lack of destructions.

If anything, I would take the track "templates" and lay the track splines over them rather than use them as components for the switches.
John I took another look at timsergey's templates and the following is how I'd wire them up not knowing anything else about them. Basically following the method I use for my own templates per the previous post. The #6 frog turnout on top in each shot is mine from my previous post. I used timsergey's 1/9 R template (I think this a #9 frog as the frog angle looks right for that number)

Bob Pearson

Long ago I, with permission, uploaded 3D Trainz tools which included turnouts, yard jigs, and directions. I also updated the wiki page which I linked below.

Those jigs, I lay the straight bit, and anchor the siding. Then delete the jig and connect the siding bit to the straight bit, then the main line to the joint of the two previous segments.

Wiki Page

Last edited:
John I took another look at timsergey's templates and the following is how I'd wire them up not knowing anything else about them. Basically following the method I use for my own templates per the previous post. The #6 frog turnout on top in each shot is mine from my previous post. I used timsergey's 1/9 R template (I think this a #9 frog as the frog angle looks right for that number)

{pic removed }

Bob Pearson

Thanks Bob. That makes sense now.

Bob Pearson - thank you so much for your effort.
My memory failed me. Now I'm on it with your much appreciated assistance.

John - interestingly, when I did what you suggested I couldn't get the curve to fit exactly.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Frogpipe - thanks, you reminded of your uploads. I'll check them out.

MP242. I was asking for help with a problem I have with something I want to do. Your position on templates is of no interest.

Have as happy an Easter as you can.
Bob it's pretty scary watching what's happening across the river, so close.
Stay safe!
Cheers
NickE

Back