Basemapz

Will Basemapz work with TS 2019 Platinum Edition? I am having no luck moving the basemap to baseboard and anchoring it.

Thanks for the help!

Bruce

No problems here... The baseboards are on the tmr-basemaps layer. If you want to modify or move them, you need to unlock the layer.

Thank you anyway for asking about this. I've been meaning to import a model railroad plan I've eyed for decades and now I can attempt to build it.

If using the Basemapz programme, I find it easier just to create and export the maps rather than have the programme generate the route too, avoids issues with the weird corrupted KUID that I've mentioned previously. Set up a new route in Surveyor then create a new layer for "Base" or whatever and place your basemaps within that layer, remembering to lock it before returning to the main layer.

If using the Basemapz programme, I find it easier just to create and export the maps rather than have the programme generate the route too, avoids issues with the weird corrupted KUID that I've mentioned previously. Set up a new route in Surveyor then create a new layer for "Base" or whatever and place your basemaps within that layer, remembering to lock it before returning to the main layer.

I had no corrupt KUID, but ended up overwriting one of my baseboards with the route I generated because I fiddled with the KUID range and set the route also to the same KUID as one of the basemaps. Doh! Once I figured out what I did, I regenerated my baseboards and went on to build my model railroad.

Thanks to everyone who answered my post!!

My problem is when I put the basemap on the baseboard, I can not align the basemap on the baseboard, the basemap will not move, so I can align the basemap. I made a layer under the Route Layer, and called it Basemaps. I am following the tutorial: New Trainz Tutorial: Importing Google Earth Images into Trainz for Route Building. More help would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Hi all,

Me again, Is there a tutorial out there for using Google Earth Images in Basemapz? I have already tried: New Trainz Tutorial: Importing Google Earth Images into Trainz for Route Building by Flamerailzzz. I looked on his website as for some help. No place on his website to ask any questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bruce

I had no corrupt KUID, but ended up overwriting one of my baseboards with the route I generated because I fiddled with the KUID range and set the route also to the same KUID as one of the basemaps. Doh! Once I figured out what I did, I regenerated my baseboards and went on to build my model railroad.
John there's a known problem with the revised BaseMapz program, ver 0.9.03. It writes out the wrong KUID for the world origin asset in the config of the route it creates (easy to fix in CM so not a significant problem). Ver 0.9.02 is the original released version (IIRC it comes packaged with TMR17) and it writes out the correct KUID. However ver 0.9.02 has an error with the world coordinate system it uses so you should use ver 0.9.03 if correct N-S orienatation is important or you have more than 1 baseboard created.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Bob,

Could you tell me where you found v1.01 of BaseMapz? I've only been able to find v0.9.03.

Respectfully,
Shaun

John there's a known problem with the revised BaseMapz program, ver 0.9.03. It writes out the wrong KUID for the world origin asset in the config of the route it creates (easy to fix in CM so not a significant problem). Ver 0.9.02 is the original released version (IIRC it comes packaged with TMR17) and it writes out the correct KUID. However ver 0.9.02 has an error with the world coordinate system it uses so you should use ver 1.01 if correct N-S orienatation is important or you have more than 1 baseboard created.

Bob Pearson

Thank you Bob. I'll have to look for that. Is that on Mike's website? I only see the 0.9.3 there.

Bob,

Could you tell me where you found v1.01 of BaseMapz? I've only been able to find v0.9.03.

Respectfully,
Shaun
Sorry Shaun & John - my bad - v 0.9.03 is the latest. I'll correct the v1.01 "typo".

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to TS19 but the tutorial that I had seen from a Google Search values were off. They were the 2 videos mentioned here. You wind up getting these borders because it doesn't fit the grid properly in Basemapz.

I did a livestream the other day which is long, but I cover how to do this in the beginning and what to do in Google Earth to help you in the process.

Google Earth is not perfect as it's difficult to measure out 720 x 720 and not have a bit of a value of error. However this method will give you the best 1 grid at a time creation of basemapz.

With my resolution I can take 2 grids in Google Earth and do 2 up at once (1 at a time in Basemapz). But everything in my Niagara build has been matching up pretty good with a margin of error of only a couple of meters in 5 miles so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVER9w_Q994

Thanks

Sean

Last edited:
Seane2c,

I have watched your video a few times. The only thing I am having trouble is plotting out the 720M x 720m squares in Google Earth Pro. I can't seem to get lines of the square straight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for the help!

Bruce

Well the ruler should do a straight line. You want to hit the R key to make sure you are looking straight overhead and facing 0 degrees North. Try to aim for 90 180 and 270 when plotting the grid.

Now if you mean the line gets curvy or anything that is likely due to the terrain changes. I had that happen on a bit of a slope in the Welland Canal. Gradual changes in more flat surfaces don't show up as much.

Thanks

Sean

Seane2c.

Did you draw straight lines that equal 720 meters on all sides or did you use the polygon?? By any chance did you do a Tutorial on this?

I like your tutorial on this, unfortunately you had the 720m x 720m square already when the video started.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bruce

Basemapz Download Location

Hi All,

I'm wanting to build my layout in Trainz 2019. I've tried to find Basemapz but keep getting a 404 message for the link from YouTube.

Has anyone got the current link so that I can download it...

Cheers,

Jason.

Back