Horseshoe Curve (Altoona) - What's up with all the tank cars passing through?

1611mac

- - . -
Anyone else watch the Virtual Railfan "Horseshoe Curve" cams? There has been an unbelievable amount (at least to my eyes) of tanks cars go through there lately. Seems like much more so than normal. Just seems interesting since things have slowed down so much and people are at home.

N/S

They were running both directions. So busy yesterday tanker trains were having to wait on each other. I noted that at least one going East had springs compressed so it must have been loaded.

Here's a screen shot of video capture from yesterday. It was like this all day long.... and they were not short!

Interestly, today has been slow.

CREDIT: VIRTUAL RAILFAN

tanks_pass.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe mty's one way and loads the other. Or maybe it just like shipping coal to Newcastle.

The world is fast running out of storage facilities for oil. Storage tanks, tankers, railcars whatever can hold it. Pump it out of the ground and now we talk of dumping it back into the under ground strategic storage caverns. We don't want to mix different types of crude so we need different facilities for the basic types.

Who's in charge - people who love chaos I guess. I can't see how any of the madness around us benefits mankind.

Bob Pearson

PRR

By the looks of it there might be a few horseshoe curve/PRR routes that could be released here soon. Railwoodman is completing almost a whole portion of the prr mainline from philly to pitts and maybe an extension to the Conway yard course it's gonna have the curve. Also hopefully soon JR finally releases the horseshoe curve route that's been in development for maybe over 5 years so here's to hoping that at some point that gets released here soon.

And that has what exactly to do with a discussion about prototypical tank car consist spotted on that route half a year ago... in the Prototype Talk section? :eek:

Back