Industry Link Asset

valbridge

Rail Tragic
Can someone please explain to me the purpose of this asset.
<kuid2:160293:11001:1> Industry Link(TANE)

I have placed the above to a session where a coal mine supplies a power station, using coal of course. The asset has been configured as such but I have no idea what/why/how it does anything. Will the asset automatically supply coal to the power station with no need for a delivery consist full of coal?

Advice appreciated.
Val.

Yes, there are often details that a developer puts as comments. Read it with a text editor. Be sure not to save it unless you intend to.

Found this with a web search:

Transfer products from one industry to another

This asset was made by MiZi and repaired by trev999.

There is no guarantee that it will work properly.

If trev999 fixed it, it almost surely works. Can you tell how it is supposed to work from editing it in the rules section in surveyor? I assume it needs a user interface .

Well I never....
In session surveyor I configured the power station to almost zero coal reserve. Fired up a a quick drive and presto the power station was full of coal. So I am assuming after the initial configuration of the asset, it works automatically.

Maybe discovering how it works has now been discovered. Simple really.

Nope, nothing the config file to explain its use.

In mizi's original asset, <kuid:122381:10007> Industry Link, the config file had this helpful description;

"Automatically transfers product produced at Industry A to industry B. Place the Industry Link anywhere on the layout (but preferably near to both the source and destination industries). Both industries A and B must be fully set up and include non-zero amounts of materials in their queues for the Industry Link to be able to recognize which product is being transferred."

I don't understand why trev999 didn't include that.

In mizi's original asset, <kuid:122381:10007> Industry Link, the config file had this helpful description;

"Automatically transfers product produced at Industry A to industry B. Place the Industry Link anywhere on the layout (but preferably near to both the source and destination industries). Both industries A and B must be fully set up and include non-zero amounts of materials in their queues for the Industry Link to be able to recognize which product is being transferred."

Well it wasn't there maybe it was just overlooked.
In the description you posted it mentions that both A and B are preferably placed close to each other...I placed the asset at the colliery which is a good 20 baseboards from the power station. Yet it still worked fine. So maybe that part of the description is a caveat to its operational conditions.

@ Pitkin - Thanks for the vote of confidence, Paul.

@ Deane - I have just downloaded the original <kuid:122381:10007> from the DLS and it contains no description whatsoever so I don't know where you found that description.

Usually I suggest to users that they double-click the asset in Content Manager, which presents a window displaying the description and the icon associated with the asset. This is a convenient way of reading any instructions provided with an asset. Doing so in this case results in a picture of what is supposed to happen and I guess I thought that would be sufficient information.

The Industry Link should be placed near to at least one of the industries, possibly the one that supplies the product, so that it can be found when needed.

Best Regard - Trevor

To Trevor and valbridge

I must apologise then. It's likely that I inserted those instructions into my local copy as a reminder to myself of how to use the thing. I first downloaded the asset many years ago, then obviously forgot about the edit. :confused:

To reply to the question of why this asset works the way it does, it was made in the days before there were industries that had multiple product queues. So for instance, you have a sawmill where you deliver logs and a warehouse where you produce finished lumber. You could link the two together so the logs consumed produced the finished lumber.

William

To reply to the question of why this asset works the way it does, it was made in the days before there were industries that had multiple product queues. So for instance, you have a sawmill where you deliver logs and a warehouse where you produce finished lumber. You could link the two together so the logs consumed produced the finished lumber.

William

Yes, I have figured that out. Well after a fashion.
I have utilised the power rule in a session, several industries are configured to the power station rule. I found that with the colliery so far from the power station I needed to run a number of coal trains to keep the lights on during the session run time.
The industry link has made the coal trains redundant, much to the dismay of train crews.
Configuring the coal output/production to that of power station consumption was fiddly but eventually got the balance right.
It's neat asset once it has been configured correctly. Disappointed it took me so long to discover such a useful asset.

Thanks trev999 for creating such a useful tool.

I use it at the steel mill on my route. Coal is unloaded in one spot, scrap metal and crushed cars in another, these are all unloads. I then have 2 tracks that load, one steel beam and the other coils. The link moves the unloaded items to the loading tracks to produce the items. If any one of the inputs are depleted the whole operation stops.

Back