Another sale lost to low resolution

fruhj

I was on discord with my friend today - he's not as interested in trains as I am but there is some interest.

We both have the same monitor - the LG 34" 5120x2160 display. He has an RTX2080 Super card.

I brought up the Trains2019 site in discord and showed him the features,
The old vs new, the nvidia turf, the editor, the 6 included routes.
He was pretty excited and at one point said "I'm ready to buy it right now!"

It's the first train sim he's said that to.

Then I told him the game was capped out at 2550x1440

And then he wasn't interested.

That is a bummer, but he's not a huge train buff, so it's not a big deal to him.

It impacts me more - I've been with trainz since nearly the beginning, and really wanted the product.

Reading through the history of Trainz2019 there was a point in time where it supported higher resolutions, they seemed to work just fine for those users who could support it.

I understand that if it was causing support headaches, limiting our access to higher resolutions might have seemed like a smart move, but you rarely get to hear about the sale you didn't make and why, and I think it's important that Tony hears about this and understands there's a sales impact.

Looking at the history of Trainz on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N3V_Games It's clear to me that Tony has been an early fan of the game and then eventually its savior when he bought the assets out of bankruptcy and helped bring Trainz to where it is today.

I believe Tony wants what's best for the franchise, and I hope he'll help push his team to some kind of compromise solution in the short term, like editing a .ini file.

I agree. After reading the history (thanks for the link btw!), I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade to platinum though. While I'm bummed there's no more 4K (I had built this computer specifically for Trainz) I can deal with the window mode and stretching. It still looks great to me. I'm passionate about this sim, but I'm also understanding and I know there's a lot going on under the hood so to speak that only Tony and Co know the limitations of. That they keep pushing that envelope is awesome and I'll continue to support the endeavor as best as I can. On an off topic note, I see your from Lisle! My brother and his wife live there and I'm in Tinley. Hope you are staying safe during this chaotic time. And that goes for EVERYBODY.

I'm in Tinley.

We used to live down that way - Have you ever been to the Illinois Live Steamers? If you're a train fan it's an absolute must! https://www.illinoislivesteamers.com/ It's not far from you - maybe a 20 minute drive.

I'm a little sad I refunded this one so quickly. But also sad that they removed support for higher resolutions.

I've used nearly every version of trainz, and for my entire life I always had a machine that was a few generations old, so it never ran great for me.

I'm finally at a point in my life where I have the top of the line components and now it just happens to co-inside with Trainz removing the option to use those components.

I'm hopeful that Tony will see a few of these posts and put in a backdoor way for power users to adjust settings.

They only removed the option for FULL SCREEN 4K, windowed 4k still works natively. At 4k windowed, you barely see the frame anyway.

I really do not get this mania for high resolution , cripes we used to have just hundreds of colors and under 1000 pixels , surely 2500 is enough for viewing ? Many older asset items don't stand up to scrutiny on standard HD , in 4k they must look appalling .

We used to live down that way - Have you ever been to the Illinois Live Steamers? If you're a train fan it's an absolute must! https://www.illinoislivesteamers.com/ It's not far from you - maybe a 20 minute drive.

I'm a little sad I refunded this one so quickly. But also sad that they removed support for higher resolutions.

I've used nearly every version of trainz, and for my entire life I always had a machine that was a few generations old, so it never ran great for me.

I'm finally at a point in my life where I have the top of the line components and now it just happens to co-inside with Trainz removing the option to use those components.

I'm hopeful that Tony will see a few of these posts and put in a backdoor way for power users to adjust settings.

I have not been to I.L.S. However, my roommate works for the B.R.C. in Chicago so I get to hear all sorts of wild stories and on occasion get to see some fantastic pictures. As for hardware, I know what ya mean. This was my first true powerhouse computer. I've been piecing them together for years but never all at once for a super build and one that was intentionally built for one particular program. Sure it's a disappointment that 4K isn't available any more, but it won't take away from the other aspects that keep this sim amazing. I did without 4K for all the other prior versions and I can live with out it. That being said, I'm just happy there's a sim such as this that lets me be as creative as possible and enjoy the fruits of my labor. And I would highly recommend the platinum edition. Don't let the lack of 4K discourage you. Even in windowed mode, it's still drop dead gorgeous.

I really do not get this mania for high resolution , cripes we used to have just hundreds of colors and under 1000 pixels , surely 2500 is enough for viewing ? Many older asset items don't stand up to scrutiny on standard HD , in 4k they must look appalling .

Yup there's that and the fact that text will be even more difficult to see since it'll fall below the size of ant footprints.

Ya know running windowed has its advantages. With that you don't need to minimize the game, end up with screwed up graphics or other weird things happen while you go off to browse the web, check email, or even better research information for your mega-realistic route on Google Earth.

Ya know running windowed has its advantages. With that you don't need to minimize the game, end up with screwed up graphics or other weird things happen while you go off to browse the web, check email, or even better research information for your mega-realistic route on Google Earth.

Agree. My dual monitor desktop system, from which I am now isolated, displays TRS19 Surveyor on one screen and Google Earth on the other which is only possible if TRS19 is running windowed. In my current location where I have my gaming laptop I am required to manually switch between the TRS19 window and any other window I need - again only possible in window mode.

Ok everyone, you've convinced me that I am missing out on something and it was a mistake to get a refund!

That said, are we SURE there isn't some way to mod the software? Maybe a hex editor? Even 3440x1440 would be a step up, as I messed with this resolution in another product and since I'm on widescreen it does look better than 2560x1440 which was all stretched out.

Also what would you all recommend for product sku? I think I bought and returned the stand alone (Non-subscription) Platinum edition - is that the one to get? Do you know if that edition works with Raildriver? I thought I read there were issues with Raildriver and TRZ2019, that were fixed, but the fix was only available to subscribers.

- Jack

I run windowed for the same reason that JC said. And I don't really have an issue with the resolution. Yea there is some fish-eye around the edges, but its at the edges where my focus isn't at.

Then again, with my setup, I maybe a bit biased as I am running 5760X1080.

Ok everyone, you've convinced me that I am missing out on something and it was a mistake to get a refund!

That said, are we SURE there isn't some way to mod the software? Maybe a hex editor? Even 3440x1440 would be a step up, as I messed with this resolution in another product and since I'm on widescreen it does look better than 2560x1440 which was all stretched out.

Also what would you all recommend for product sku? I think I bought and returned the stand alone (Non-subscription) Platinum edition - is that the one to get? Do you know if that edition works with Raildriver? I thought I read there were issues with Raildriver and TRZ2019, that were fixed, but the fix was only available to subscribers.

- Jack

Hi Jack,

If you got the Platinum before, go for it again. There's nothing wrong with it unless you want to go full Monty and subscription and get all the DLC, access to pre-release stuff, product beta, and other features, you can go for the Gold-plus edition known as Trainz-Plus. The subscription runs about $14 a month. Remember they have sales...

We recommend purchasing directly from N3V for many reasons including patches which take their time to filter through Steam. All versions work with the RailDriver.

Well this whole thread took an interesting twist!

Not only did I end up re-buying Trainz 2019 platinum, but I showed my friend and he bought it as well.

I expected he's go in small with one of the regional editions, but I had showed him the drone camera and mentioned it was only in Platinum and he ended up buying that (with his own money)

He seemed pretty excited and probably played around with it for 2 hours the other night.

Well this whole thread took an interesting twist!

Not only did I end up re-buying Trainz 2019 platinum, but I showed my friend and he bought it as well.

I expected he's go in small with one of the regional editions, but I had showed him the drone camera and mentioned it was only in Platinum and he ended up buying that (with his own money)

He seemed pretty excited and probably played around with it for 2 hours the other night.

That's awesome. I just got done driving a long, well over 2-hour session, myself. I quite when I decided to do something else but the session was still going along fine. With all the quirks, the program can work well when it wants to.

Back