Is it possible to have SLOW loading and unloading?

dght64

I've been experimenting with interactive industries (mostly the customizable multi-industry tracks) and I was wondering if it's possible in the config files to slow down the loading/unloading to be more realistic?

The way it is now, let's say I have a log clinch that holds 10 longs. I pull the train up to the sawmill, lining it up so 4 cars are in position, and in just a few seconds they're all magically empty.

How I'd like it to be, is I'd park the cars there, uncouple the loco, and go do something else. While the cars are just sitting there, the 40 total logs would be unloaded one at a time, about every 45 seconds (so it would take a half hour to unload all four cars). Then later I would come back and move the train so the next 4 cars are in position and so on. Loading cargo would work in the same way.

I believe "msgsapper" industries have a "speed" setting. If not his, the setting does exist. Others have commented on the rapid loading/discharge of industries.

64 --

ProtoLARS does exactly what you want. Some find it devilishly difficulty to configure though.

Phil

I use Protolars all the time. As phil says it can take a while to get it to dowhat you want but it is worth it.
I have just lately come across an something I would like to find if it is possible to slow down the fill time.
It is the Chinese Light Oil Tankers. They have they have a sequence where a loading unit appears and goes through process of loading.
Usually it happens very quickly, but sometimes it will run longer. I use the Multi Ind 10M track to get single load action.
Cheers,
Mike

64 --

ProtoLARS does exactly what you want. Some find it devilishly difficulty to configure though.

Phil

Thank you, it took me a while to figure out how to set it up but it's working now.
If I want to add a product to it, can I just add a line in the <kuid> table to the config file? Or do I need to change something else?

Down at the bottom where it has things like:

prod0 <kuid:-3:10014>
prod1 <kuid:-3:10041>
prod2 <kuid:49267:35004>

EDIT:
I worked it out. What's needed to add products is to add a line to the <kuid> table like I said, and also near the top increment the products count field.

I figured out that the products must also be in the default "allowed products" list of the rolling stock in question -- adding them using the "?" button in Surveyor isn't good enough, they have to be listed in the config file. This is a little disappointing, as some of the rolling stock I'd like to use is payware, but I can work around it.

I'm also using Industry Link to move visible products between the ProtoLARS and a regular industry -- so for example I move logs from PL to a regular sawmill, they get turned into lumber, and then I move the lumber to another PL track to get picked up. It's all working pretty seamlessly, although the linker has its own 60-second delay, but it still looks much more natural than having an entire train load of cargo appear/disappear at once.

Last edited:
Why is it so difficult to change the speed of loading/unloading? Who made this into some mysterious and complex parameter exercise?? The relevance to real railroad operations is completely lost as customers are required to each learn an undocumented process. Do real railroads do this? Seems like this is an item to be addressed in the Wiki.

I use <kuid2:45324:400001:2> JR Multi Industry. It lets you set the time lapse from the time the train stops at it, till the time it start loading. It also let you set the time between the loading of each car. Very simple to use and does not take a lot of learning to set up.

Seems like protolars or protolars2 let the engine uncouple and the loading would continue, does JR Multi Industry do that as well?

Seems like protolars or protolars2 let the engine uncouple and the loading would continue, does JR Multi Industry do that as well?

Yes it does.

However you might run into an issue with the JR multi industry in anything newer that TRS12. Unless someone has a fix that I am unaware of.

Why is it so difficult to change the speed of loading/unloading? Who made this into some mysterious and complex parameter exercise?? The relevance to real railroad operations is completely lost as customers are required to each learn an undocumented process. Do real railroads do this? Seems like this is an item to be addressed in the Wiki.

It seems that while the developers claim to be adding more 'realism' to every new incarnation of Trainz, they have completely forgotten that there is an actual purpose for railways to exist. Many of the industries operate in EXACTLY the same crude manner that they did in the first version that I purchased in 2005. [Trainz v1.3] Many of the older industries have been culled from the DLS With little consideration to replacement leaving track-only assets as the only way to handle some commodites. It's been years since any new interlocking industries that only output when materials are delivered have been added.

Trainz started out as a very broad platform, with opportunities for content creators, freight enthusiasts, city planners and locomotive engineers

It's fast becoming little more than eye candy.

Thanks for the replies. I remember a version or the UMR where a auto plant had a siding for general auto parts and 3 sidings for auto loading. You could drop a loaded consist at auto parts and they would unload while you collected load auto carriers, thought it much more realistic.

Rob

Thanks for the replies. I remember a version or the UMR where a auto plant had a siding for general auto parts and 3 sidings for auto loading. You could drop a loaded consist at auto parts and they would unload while you collected load auto carriers, thought it much more realistic.

Rob

It is. Hence why I use the PL industries set to start loading/unloading 10 minuets after I drop off a car. My route is rather large, and my operations are continuous, so I have some set that they take up 8 hours to unload a car.

Your other option, and its a bit more work, is to use CMTMS.

Back