Strasburg Railroad

pequeajim

I love the Trainz software, but am a little dissapointed in the response that I get on this forum when I ask about getting the Strasburg RR Trainz layout. Is this a taboo subject? I mean, I am willing to pay for it, I just want to get it on my computer. I belong to the Strasburg Model Railroad club, so it would be a big hit and good promotion for the Trainz franchise. NObody seems to want to point me in the right direction, even if it was "You can't buy it, so you'll have to build it yourself" type of answer.

Thoughts?

Jim Langley

Hi Jim,

I thought there was one you can download from the Download Station, but I maybe mistaken. If not you can create one yourself; I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's true unless there's one elsewhere, but I've seen no mention of it in the forums which I read quite often during the day, and searching the forums is lousy and doesn't always bring up the results you want. The other thing too is someone may have started the project and let it vaporize, which happens all to often with Trainz routes due to many reasons so in that case too you'll be out of luck.

Note creating a good route takes time, but the results can be very rewarding. If you want to go fairly prototypical, check out TransDEM. It's a $25-30 program from fellow Trainzer Roland Ziegler.

http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm

There's a bit of a learning curve here, but the end results are worth it. With this you can import actual topographic maps, orthographic photos, and the actual DEM data to create the underlying terrain ready for route building. With the group you belong to, this kind of route might be the way to go since the terrain is very noticeable and people do get a kick out of seeing that.

Anyway these DEM files, used in conjunction with historic topographic maps placed in place, will allow you to trace abandoned routes as well, or do as we do and use the DEM data as a basis for our own creations. Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself, but once you use TransDEM, you'll never go back to the "old way" of doing things.

I never saw the other thread...

The one on the DLS shows no textures in TRS19, there is however, one in production. See Youtube for detail.
The links on the page MP242 posted are mostly dead, 403's or 404's
Graeme

Last edited:
Not that I don't appreciate what you suggested, JCitron, but I just want to install it and drive it and I'm willing to pay for it.

Jim,
There is a version out there. I can point you to its location. There are three buildings that show up faulty in TANE, and there seem to be some missing assets; but otherwise it works, and is pretty accurate. I have no idea what the source was for all the assets, so it would only be for your own private usage.
Ron

I love the Trainz software, but am a little dissapointed in the response that I get on this forum when I ask about getting the Strasburg RR Trainz layout. Is this a taboo subject? I mean, I am willing to pay for it, I just want to get it on my computer. I belong to the Strasburg Model Railroad club, so it would be a big hit and good promotion for the Trainz franchise. NObody seems to want to point me in the right direction, even if it was "You can't buy it, so you'll have to build it yourself" type of answer.

Thoughts?

Jim Langley
Jim I think I listed this one, <kuid:717802:100039> Strasburg Railroad 2, in response to another thread you started (see screenshot of route from TRS19 below). I just DL'd it from the N3V down load station and I have only 6 missing assets 3 are by Steve Lorro (K&L owner) so probably payware from his site but that's just a guess. The others are all "unknown" so will require tracking down thru kuids. Your success at getting all dependents will probably vary and be different from mine.
[EDIT] This route by roadrunner268 looks like an update of an older route by SRR89 but not acknowledged in the config if it is. The older route is on the DLS and I would have a couple of dozen missing trees to replace if I wanted to use it.

It costs nothing for the route - it is a free down load from N3V servers.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but it looks to have all the main track from the terminal across from the Railroad Museum up to an including the connection with the PRR at Paradise (about 4.7 miles).

No license data or info in the description about moding and redistribution is provided so will require asking the author for any permissions to use for anything beyond your personnal use on your computer.

I couldn't get the link in the post in the link MP242 referenced to load on several tries so can not say if that route is still available.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Bob Pearson

PS. I'll add that as far as I am aware there is no "official" Strasburg RR Trainz layout as you imply in the OP. All that I know of are made by users for use by other users and are in various stages of completion and clearly vary in degree of accuracy as to the track and terrain and quality of the work. If you have heard otherwise maybe you could provide me with some details of what you know.

PPS. Another route I also listed in the same post I mentioned is <kuid2:776577:20017:1> Strasburg RR. It is a version with the terrain created using Transdem from DEM data of the area. It includes the track work but that appears to be created from vector data supplied as part of the Transdem input. That can be useful but particularly with curves and junctions it leaves a lot of work to correct it. This one might be a good starting point since the track probably could be fixed up fairly easily. You could in fact use the route in the pic above as a source for a lot of the scenery and ground textures if you didn't want to re do or research it all yourself. However it to lacks license data to permit mods and redistribution. Which begs the question why upload a dem and track only route if you don't want to allow others to mod, finish and redistribute it. Just add in a license that allows it. Not all that difficult.

Last edited:
Back