Train car was working fine last night but today...

SHOPlanB

Hey all. Jumped in my route today to do some more work and I noticed a train that was wonky. Upon looking closer, I noticed a huge gap between car segments. Dug around more, and found out that a few cars I got last night off the DLS were now flagged as red. And to make matters worse, they are now invisible and I can see the directional arrows for them, but I can't uncouple, nor delete them. And I can see the consist from satellite view. The cars are as follows :

2BayCflowHopper C&0 605051 LARS <kuid2:56063:102912:1>

and

2BayCflowHopper Hershey Cocoa HFC 6010 LARS <kuid2:56063:102911:1>

More than anything I'd like to remove them from the route and I'm stumped on how. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

In Content Manager, select both assets and then either Delete them or Disable them (this will not delete them but will render them inactive)
Load the route/session into Surveyor and select Delete missing assets, resave the route/session
If you had selected the Disable option, then in CM select the two assets and Enable them

Were they red because the were faulty, or because they had missing assets? We may be able to help with either... Those are some really old (2.5) assets by majekear, and some of the texture stuff may need some adjustment, like creating texture.txt files, but that is just a wild guess. Could also be tag changes such as region or other things. IF I get time tonight I will download them and check...

Pware, Thank you VERY much! That did the trick. I was sweating that one as the cars in question were on the mainline with no way around them. I did the delete thing also.

Forester1, that kinda stuff is above my pay grade. I've gotten gun shy trying to edit things or adjust them in the game. I'm not worried if I can't use those particular cars. Just thought they looked nice. Plenty more options to chose from. :D And thanks for you help also!

Plenty more options to chose from.
The problem is not the traincars you listed - it is <kuid:-10:199> 54ft_covered_hopper, so many others might be affected. It needs to be upgraded and run through the AssetX repair functions (although just PM2IM might be enough) and the load animation changed from 'load' to 'topdoor'. It appears to have been incorrectly converted from an open hopper. The dependent assets work fine once the dependency is fixed.

SailorDan is correct, it is possible to fix many such faulty assets, but like you I tend to delete them instead of fixing them. While the repair is often quite simple (SailorDan's remedy is a bit more complex as it involves using 3rd party software) if you repair them then the repaired assets would only exist on your system. If used them in a route or session that you upload to the DLS for others to use, then anyone who downloaded your route/session would get the original faulty assets and would have to perform exactly the same repair to get them working as well.

Only the original creator (or a group of overworked and unpaid volunteer "troubleshooters" called the CRG, Content Repair Group) can repair faulty assets so that the repairs become "updates" to the original and therefore available for everyone to use.

So far, I've only seen those 2 have issues. As for fooling with it to get it functional....Aint NO way that's happening. :D WAY WAY above my paygrade. The ones I have on the route are working, and I'm content with that.

Thanks again for the help and info pware. Again, I have zero intention of fooling with anything that requires me to go and edit anything. I tried once to add cars to roads and ended up with a hot mess so I've decided its far easier to just deal with what I have available and make the best of that. I wasn't planning on uploading the route so I don't have to worry about anything there and I also have nobody to join in on multiplayer so for now its just me and the AI on the route.

So far, I've only seen those 2 have issues. As for fooling with it to get it functional....Aint NO way that's happening. :D WAY WAY above my paygrade. The ones I have on the route are working, and I'm content with that.

Running Images2TGA is pretty easy.

Open asset for editing in Content Manager.
Run Images2TGA. Use the file open and browse to editing folder and open up asset's folder.
Import a .texture file. Choose Save_As and save the file as a .tga
Repeat for other .texture files.

When all is done, close program and submit the asset in Content Manager.

As an FYI... There's another issue that can cause red consists. If you had placed track in a Session rather than a route then moved the track to the route layer, this will cause the consist to derail and turn red on the map. Sometimes the consist can be recovered in Surveyor - it's derailed usually, but not always. I have successfully recovered from this by running delete missing assets on the session, but it doesn't always work.

Eh, I'm still gunshy about fooling with anything in Trainz aside from what I know. Aside from some weird code showing up in the messages area of driver, nothing seems to be amiss. Aside from what seems like every time I load the route to edit it, I get hammered with caching shaders and a variety of other game related stuff at first. But, it all comes out in the wash so to speak, so as long as I can edit the route, and drive when the notion hits me, I'm content. But thank you for the input on how to fix that. Hopefully someone with more gumption will find it useful.

Back