Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me get into this game

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Trainz, any version, is more like a hobby than it is a video game. There are so many aspects of it ranging from full route and session creation all the way down the gamut to asset creation, script writing, and everything in between. With that said, it's one of these things that is only as good as one puts the time and effort into learning and doing.

As a Trainzer, I started my journey with TRS2004 Sp0 in December 2003. From the get go, I opened up other people's routes and even sessions, which were called scenarios back then, to see how things were done. It took a bit of time before I started to build my first route and then that route was supposed to be a small test route. That 4-board route ended up being the core to a much bigger empire which still exists today. Like many model railroads of this size, this route has gone through many updates, changes, and renovations, but the core theme is still there. To illustrate the longevity of the program, I took my ca. March 2005 version of my original route, trimmed parts and imported that route in and merged that portion into the current TRS19 version. The basic theme was there of what I wanted, but the track work was pure garbage. After a lick and a promise, it doesn't look so bad, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

Creating sessions for your own work is not without surprises. After the session is done, you'll spend days, weeks, or even longer troubleshooting the session. There are tweaks needed, signals to be adjusted, consist timing worked out, additional track marks needed, and so on and so forth. When it comes time to running the route, unless you have the memory of an elephant, you won't remember where each and every signal is, but you should. You see real engineers are supposed to qualify for a rail line. They go through an extensively supervised learning process of any route they drive, and are not let loose until they know where every signal, crossing, whistle post, speed limit, and all other line side details inside and out.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Quote Originally Posted by schweitzerdude View Post
    I recently bought Transport Fever 2 and am trying to learn it, but in the final analysis I did accounting my entire life and not having to think about taxes etc is a plus for me with Trainz.
    You can turn off the money aspect of Transport Fever and build to your heart's content.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by ecco View Post
    You can turn off the money aspect of Transport Fever and build to your heart's content.
    Well almost. If you still don't have a balance in your company account, otherwise you can't build.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618