Field of View

BrianPacos

Creator, BMP Trainz
Greetings, everyone

I got sick of T:ANE's bad weather effects (it's not supposed to be sunny when it's pouring!) and have been impressed with what I've seen from Trainz 2019 in terms of rendering scenes. One complaint I have with Trainz 2019 is that I can't seem to change the "field of view" or perspective of my screen like you could in A New Era (Ctrl+mouse scroll would change the "perspective", I liked it zoomed all the way in because to me that makes everything look the most realistic). I've included screenshots of what this looks like in A New Era but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the same thing in Trainz 2019. Someone please tell me they didn't axe that feature!

This is the zoomed in view-
YBX99Bk
YBX99Bk.jpg
2020-03-30-032349.jpg

This is the zoomed out view-
2020-03-30-032410.jpg

Like I said, please tell me they didn't get rid of this function because I might just uninstall Trainz 2019 right now if they did, that would be very disappointing. :(

I got sick of T:ANE's bad weather effects (it's not supposed to be sunny when it's pouring!) and have been impressed with what I've seen from Trainz 2019 in terms of rendering scenes

I think that you will find that "sunny rainstorms" (we do get them here down under) have not changed in TRS19.

One complaint I have with Trainz 2019 is that I can't seem to change the "field of view" or perspective of my screen like you could in A New Era (Ctrl+mouse scroll would change the "perspective".

I never noticed that so I tried it (Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel) in TANE - its a terrible effect! It was like riding a bicycle with a wheel that was always jamming and that is on a machine with a GTX1050Ti. I checked the TANE keyboard map and there was nothing about using the Ctrl key with the mouse scroll wheel.

In TRS19 using the Ctrl key with the mouse scroll wheel works just like it does without the Ctrl key - a blessing:). Using the Shift key with the wheel slows the movement right down.

Sorry to bring the bad news (unless I am totally wrong - a common occurrence) but I certainly won't be uninstalling TRS19 just because that "feature" is missing.

My opinions.

To use FOV in TRS19 SP1 and upward versions, go into the control settings and scroll until you find an option called "Field of view modifier". It will be unassigned by default. Simply assign whatever key you want to hold down in combination with the scroll wheel to adjust the FOV like you could before.
tutorial_fov.jpg

Greets, Mika

Thanks for that Mika.

That's one of many things I like about Trainz, no matter how long you have been using it, there is always something new to learn - or something that has always been there but you never noticed before.

I am missing something: I see the Field of view modifier. And it says None and None. That is an indication that this control is not there anymore? In the real World (of mine), the scroll wheel zooms the image !?? A clarification is in order..

It says none because there is no key assigned to action it. You need to add one.

Otherwise in the settings under general I think there is a slider for FOV

It says none because there is no key assigned to action it. You need to add one.

Correct. I just tried it. I had to use the Left Alt key because the Ctrl key was already taken by something else (it was shown in Red when I initially selected it). Just highlight the Primary Key entry (shown as "none") and press the Left Alt key.

Then back in Surveyor I tried it by holding down the left Alt key and moving the mouse scroll wheel and it worked.

What you are saying is that these "None" are configurable keys. User selected. Have I read about this somewhere else? mmmm. No, I haven't seen anything about this in the Wiki or anywhere else.. Anyhow, thank you..

Are you sure that is correct??? I thought the "none" key was right next to the "any" key as in "Press any key to continue". :hehe:

Sorry, too many years of doing tech support.

William

I have some assigned keys coloured red in the control settings window in my TANE. What that does mean?

Different context within the game or outside the game in OS? I have Alt+C marked red and it works for me only in cab mode for example.

Different context in the game. Like same key combination having a different use in driver and surveyor.

Peter

Bumping a somewhat old thread, but how in TANE can one control the Field-of-View?

Ctrl-Mouse Wheel only zooms in an out, same as scrolling the Mouse Wheel alone. I cannot find a slot in the keyboard mapping for Surveyor which relates to Field-of-View.

I assume you are talking about making the FOV wider without moving the camera. I had a quick look and I didn't see a way to do this interactively. I used to use surveyorFOV=65 in the trainzoptions.txt years ago to get a nice wide angle view. Now I run in windowed mode and have two monitors so I can widen the view by stretching the window over both monitors but other than taking wide screenshots this isn't really useful for route building.

Last edited:
You assumed rightly. A pity TANE has no way to control FOV.

My situation is this; I've been given a beta copy of a TANE route that is both extremely crowded with scenery assets and physically very hemmed in by mountains and 3D cliff assets everywhere. I've been making assets by request for this route and want to take screenshots of them in the route. Placement is very constrained (a pain actually) but I can get the camera into position easily enough using the Fly mode (Alt-U). However, the field-of-view often gives a lot of perspective distortion that I don't want. I can compensate for it a bit later in Photoshop, but it would be nice to have in-game control over the FOV.

Last edited:
The field of view is now controlled through the settings in Trainz itself.

Click on Interface Settings and adjust the slider.

Back