TRS19 has been crashing... a lot...

I also have this problem, have a new laptop with ryzen chip and backed in vga, also a nvidia rtx 3070 is in the laptop, installed latest driver.
Going to test now on my intel laptop with gtx 2070.

Make sure you have adequate cooling for starters. A lot of heat inside will make the circuits and chips unstable and cause the machine to crash. The machine will slow down more and more and eventually crash or shutdown. There are various cooling pads you can put under your laptop to send cool air into the intake fan. I had to do that with my Alienware laptop because that machine started slowing down drastically while Trainzing.

The other thing to check is ensure your laptop is in fact using the GTX 2070 and not your built-in graphics. I can't remember the name of that chipset, but my current Alienware laptop has that and I needed to press FN-something to enable it before loading up TANE at the time.

Hi all, my TRS 2019 has been doing the same. Have tried virtually all your suggestions to no avail, going back to TANE!

Try reducing the graphical settings and ask for more things.

Does it crash when you load into a specific route(s) or place a specific locomotive(s)?

My Map is Randomly freezing when I go into the Driver mode and I have to force quit TRS19 in the ctrl, alt, delete to Task Manager and end task the Trs19 processes.

I have the Trainz Build 112778 as I could not revert back to the 111951 as my Custom Map was saved tin the 112778 and I did not have the Map backed up for the 11951 and almost lost my Map of many Years of Work.

I managed to get the 112778 installed again and my Map was saved and good again.
The issues that I am getting with the 112778 is several Ghost assets found in the bottom depths of my Map at 0.00 ground level that can not be removed or indemnified.
Those Ghost assets are not faulty and are working on other parts of my Map perfectly, and not a Layer misplacement issue.

The strange issue is that I found a large Building looking thru the Grid and it is not just in one place, it moves around and I can chase it all the way across the Map until the end of the ground World and it is floating in empty Space. I cleared them, by deleting some of those assets and doing a Delete Missing dependencies and they are gone until I re install them again and then they come back again as they did, and are then Ghosted again in the lower grid.
So I gave up not wanting to replace all of those deleted assets, hoping that is was an issue with the 112778 build and i will wait for the next Patch.

Also when saving my Map as I always use the save as I have for many Years without issues.
I reload my My Map to find a huge bunch of missing assets such as Roads, Xings and other assets are gone.
So I opened the Session Map file I see them in there, and I never placed those assets in the session Layer.
I did move them back to the Route Layer and saved again and they did come back to the saved Map route layer.

What happened to the save as option not saving the route correctly it is now randomly moving assets to the sessions layer, causing them to be hidden in the main Map reload.
I wanted to post this here as this may be what is causing the Trainz 2019 to crash so often to the ctd issues.
All in all 112778 is very bugged and I will delay anymore Custom Map work for now,
I wait & hope for another good patch.
Cheers
jjeff1955

Last edited:
My Map is Randomly freezing when I go into the Driver mode and I have to force quit TRS19 in the ctrl, alt, delete to Task Manager and end task the Trs19 processes.

I have the Trainz Build 112778 as I could not revert back to the 111951 as my Custom Map was saved tin the 112778 and I did not have the Map backed up for the 11951 and almost lost my Map of many Years of Work.

I managed to get the 112778 installed again and my Map was saved and good again.
The issues that I am getting with the 112778 is several Ghost assets found in the bottom depths of my Map at 0.00 ground level that can not be removed or indemnified.
Those Ghost assets are not faulty and are working on other parts of my Map perfectly, and not a Layer misplacement issue.

The strange issue is that I found a large Building looking thru the Grid and it is not just in one place, it moves around and I can chase it all the way across the Map until the end of the ground World and it is floating in empty Space. I cleared them, by deleting some of those assets and doing a Delete Missing dependencies and they are gone until I re install them again and then they come back again as they did, and are then Ghosted again in the lower grid.
So I gave up not wanting to replace all of those deleted assets, hoping that is was an issue with the 112778 build and i will wait for the next Patch.

Also when saving my Map as I always use the save as I have for many Years without issues.
I reload my My Map to find a huge bunch of missing assets such as Roads, Xings and other assets are gone.
So I opened the Session Map file I see them in there, and I never placed those assets in the session Layer.
I did moved them back to the Route Layer and saved again and they did come back to the saved Map route layer.

What happened to the save as option not saving the route correctly it is now randomly moving assets to the sessions layer, causing them to be hidden in the main Map reload.
I wanted to post this here as this may be what is causing the Trainz 2019 to crash so often to the ctd issues.
All in all 112778 is very bugged and I will delay anymore Custom Map work for now,
I wait & hope for another good patch.
Cheers
jjeff1955

Floating objects have been reported already as a bug. We have all experienced those in this build.

It's too bad you didn't save your data at least, or better yet setup a test version. A test version is the way to go because you can break things and still have your content just in case things get trashed. When the time comes, after the beta goes through multiple iterations and is released, you can then upgrade your working copy. This process is not unusual even in the real world when it comes to system and server upgrades.

Keep in mind that backups are a good thing and are really your best friend. Programs and settings can be reinstalled and reconfigured, but the critical part of any computer setup is your data. Data is really the most valuable part of your computer ecosystem. Without that, you only have a nice setup of expensive hardware.

Yes John, I have learned a hard lesson form these issues, and I will now always have a backup of my Map, and local folder from the stable version.
I will still pursue the beta testing for the Dev's as I do enjoy doing it, and from now on it will be the Test Format.
All is good for now, when the next stable patch comes out i will re save my Map and then store it in a safe place. Lol.
Cheers!

Hello, so I've been having almost the same problem as him but almost entirely different. I recently bought a new laptop,
Dell G15 5515
Device name DESKTOP-FVG8BI9Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

And that I just started testing Trainz 19 with it, everytime I start with some, or just one of the routes, currently using a Steam Platform Platinum Edition, everytime I go to driver mode, when just starting the mode, the entire game crashes. Already tried a Database Repair, Storage Capacity has enough space, Heating only shared a little release. Anyone care to answer please?

Kind Regards,
cprak.

Hello, so I've been having almost the same problem as him but almost entirely different. I recently bought a new laptop,
Dell G15 5515
Device name DESKTOP-FVG8BI9Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz

And that I just started testing Trainz 19 with it, everytime I start with some, or just one of the routes, currently using a Steam Platform Platinum Edition, everytime I go to driver mode, when just starting the mode, the entire game crashes. Already tried a Database Repair, Storage Capacity has enough space, Heating only shared a little release. Anyone care to answer please?

Kind Regards,
cprak.

There are other causes and one of the things that helps is increasing your virtual memory. Go to your System and then advanced settings and increase the page-file to at least twice your system ram. In your case, set the page file to be 32000 MB. (32 GB).

The other issue is this could be heat-related. Most laptops don't have adequate cooling for games and programs such as TRS2019 and will overheat and crash, but I would try the page file settings first and see if that helps.

You need to buy an extra cooling path to put your laptop on, had the same happening and since i bought that extra cooling path it works great. Also the build in vga chip is not great, is there an extra nvidia of amd video chip inside the laptop ?

Dell G15 5515

Kind Regards,
cprak.

Seems a good laptop for TRS19

try Launcher [Trainz Settings] /Performance\ tab
-use multiple render threads on
-texture streaming off
-PhysX off

and see if behaves the same

also check in /General\ tab if the the settings match your card/screen

Okay. I've tried all of those. But nothing changed, but however, months ago, I saved and downloaded SP2 installer of the game (just installed it just now) and recreated the bug that usually happens with SP4, and... it didn't crash. My theory is that the SP4 stabilisation is probably still unstable, possibly the bug from the SP3 Steam Platform. I'm now currently in the purchased SP2 Non-Steam Platform. But thank you all for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Hello,

Since this week my version of Trs19 ( build 117009 ) crashes when using paint and changing height ( using F2 - topology) on my tram/train route. No crashing when using paint or changing height on a another route. Database repair and extended database repair doesn't change a thing.

Anyone else has had this phenomenon?

Kind regards

Kurt :wave:

Last edited:
Hello,

Since this week my version of Trs19 ( build 117009 ) crashes when using paint and changing height ( using F2 - topology) on my tram/train route. No crashing when using paint or changing height on a another route. Database repair and extended database repair doesn't change a thing.

Anyone else has had this phenomenon?

Kind regards

Try a database repair first but if it doesn't work this means something's corrupted in the route. Sometimes merging the route that crashes into a new blank route will solve the problem.

Create a new route. A single baseboard is fine.

Merge in your crashing route.

Save with the same name as your old route - I usually put in a version number to know the difference.

Exit to route menu and load up the new route.

If this works, you're good and you can then adjust your environment and region if necessary, and you can delete the old one too, but I would make a backup of that one first just because.

Try a database repair first but if it doesn't work this means something's corrupted in the route. Sometimes merging the route that crashes into a new blank route will solve the problem.

Create a new route. A single baseboard is fine.

Merge in your crashing route.

Save with the same name as your old route - I usually put in a version number to know the difference.

Exit to route menu and load up the new route.

If this works, you're good and you can then adjust your environment and region if necessary, and you can delete the old one too, but I would make a backup of that one first just because.

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and solution - very much appreciated :).

It is the first time, I had this phenomenon using paint and changing height and strangely, those strange things happen 95 percent when being busy with my tram/train route.

Can it make a difference doing EDBR twice ( consecutively )?

Kind regards

Last edited:
Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and solution - very much appreciated :).

It is the first time, I had this phenomenon using paint and changing height and strangely, those strange things happen 95 percent when being busy with my tram/train route.

Can it make a difference doing EDBR twice ( consecutively )?

Kind regards

Hi Kurt,

No, running an EDBR more than once won't do anything other than make have to check for false faulty assets and wait for precaching again.

How much RAM does your PC have? Try increasing your page file to at least 2.5 x the amount installed.

How about cooling? It's really, really hot and Trainz makes the CPU and GPU work harder when painting and working with terrain. I know because I can hear the heat pump speed up on my water-cooled PC when I do that.

Does this occur on other routes?

If not, then it's an issue with your route in some way including faulty assets, or something corrupted.

Hi Kurt,

No, running an EDBR more than once won't do anything other than make have to check for false faulty assets and wait for precaching again.

How much RAM does your PC have? Try increasing your page file to at least 2.5 x the amount installed.

How about cooling? It's really, really hot and Trainz makes the CPU and GPU work harder when painting and working with terrain. I know because I can hear the heat pump speed up on my water-cooled PC when I do that.

Does this occur on other routes?

If not, then it's an issue with your route in some way including faulty assets, or something corrupted.

Hello John,

It is a pity that there is no option available to see what really happens during an EDBR and to have a look at the database ( having a peek inside ).

I have 32Gb of ram.

When the GPU needs to do an extra power job, I hear the fans making their special noice, so I suppose the GPU and fans are still Ok.

The crashing of Trs19 only happens when using paint and height changing within my tram/train route.

As I don't see any warnings about faulty assets, and I don't have any faulty dependencies showing in content manager, it could well be that one or more assets is/are corrupt.

In the Tane version I have had an issue with an asset within my tram/train route. Tane crashed whenever I opened my route for editing. By disabling the asset, the problem was solved.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Hello John,

It is a pity that there is no option available to see what really happens during an EDBR and to have a look at the database ( having a peek inside ).

I have 32Gb of ram.

When the GPU needs to do an extra power job, I hear the fans making their special noice, so I suppose the GPU and fans are still Ok.

The crashing of Trs19 only happens when using paint and height changing within my tram/train route.

As I don't see any warnings about faulty assets, and I don't have any faulty dependencies showing in content manager, it could well be that one or more assets is/are corrupt.

In the Tane version I have had an issue with an asset within my tram/train route. Tane crashed whenever I opened my route for editing. By disabling the asset, the problem was solved.

Kind regards

Does this crash occur when you modify the terrain or paint any other route, or a new route?

If it doesn't occur, then the problem lies with your route.

Another issue I ran into with crashing I had is the problem only occurred in one particular area of a route. The culprit was a bad tree which was finally found when I was converting the route in TS12 to import it into TANE. That route was so bad that I couldn't even look in a particular area without the route crashing to the desktop. Eventually, the trees were all updated and brought into TANE, and the problem went away. The problem was so bad that I couldn't even look in that direction without crashing.

Another possibility is that you have a duplicated asset superimposed on itself. Can be tricky to detect without very close examination/ gentle moving of the selected suspect in Surveyor Edit... mode.
This can sometimes occur with large industry assets or platform splines at the time you're adding the initial scenery item to the route (where you inadvertently click twice to place to object if there's a slight delay in its appearance on the first click).
Difficult to hunt down, but can become apparent on selection and movement of the topmost object, or in the case of splines, careful examination of the animated joins.

Another possibility is that you have a duplicated asset superimposed on itself. Can be tricky to detect without very close examination/ gentle moving of the selected suspect in Surveyor Edit... mode.
This can sometimes occur with large industry assets or platform splines at the time you're adding the initial scenery item to the route (where you inadvertently click twice to place to object if there's a slight delay in its appearance on the first click).
Difficult to hunt down, but can become apparent on selection and movement of the topmost object, or in the case of splines, careful examination of the animated joins.

Hello PC_ACE,

Thank you for your information - very much appreciated :).

Very interesting -asset being superimposed on itself could be the possible issue. As the problem ( Trs2019 crashing ) only occurs since last week, I suppose the "guilty asset" must have been placed last week. Or is it possible that an earlier placed ( superimposed on itself ) asset has started the issue last week?

If that is the case, as my tram/train route is rather large, it will be a tricky job finding the "guilty asset".

Kind regards

Back