TRS19 has been crashing... a lot...

This might be helpful too. How much RAM do you have in your system, meaning the DIMMs not total disk space?

Whatever amount you have, double your page file size. That will help with long DBRs since this is a very intensive memory and CPU-intensive process.

Good luck and let us know the progress.

I have 16GB RAM on my PC, so I'm assuming that I should set the page file size on the disk drive with my Trainz content to 32GB, then try and run the DBR?

Just a thought - from my experience with TS19 platinum.

I decided to install all my purchased routes (plenty disc space, plenty bandwith etc). After the evening waiting for the downloads, I found that many routes were marked as "missing assets". The reason behind that was that - for example - Cornish mainline exitst in two versions - one for TS19 Platinum, one not. By loading both, it had caused problems with the non-TS 19 Platinum edition, it couldn't find the built-in assets that were obsoleted by the later built-in assets of TS19 Platinum...
Both versions complained, soI had to delete both and only download the later version. Is this a possibility for you?

Colin

I have 16GB RAM on my PC, so I'm assuming that I should set the page file size on the disk drive with my Trainz content to 32GB, then try and run the DBR?

Yes this is correct. At least that size. 1.5 times is the general rule and is even better.

The concept of having to continually do DBR's is ridiculous.

Back in 1979 a programming language called DBase was introduced. It was excellent for accessing (then) large files. One of the problems was index creation and maintenance. If care was not taken, files got out-of-sync. The "fix" was to rebuild the database and the indexes - a lengthy process.

A reworked product named Foxpro fixed the indexing issues. The need to rebuild went away. That was 35 years ago.

Now we are still being told no one really knows the reason for CTDs and maybe rebuilding the data base will solve the problem - it doesn't.

I went back to T:ANE. It is far more stable.

Trainz still seems to be crashing 1-2 times per day. Sometimes they happen while I'm not even actively doing anything, and sometimes while just CM is open. I am running downloads very often, but that's because there are errors downloading some of the assets every time, which is a whole other problem.

Last edited:
The concept of having to continually do DBR's is ridiculous.

Back in 1979 a programming language called DBase was introduced. It was excellent for accessing (then) large files. One of the problems was index creation and maintenance. If care was not taken, files got out-of-sync. The "fix" was to rebuild the database and the indexes - a lengthy process.

A reworked product named Foxpro fixed the indexing issues. The need to rebuild went away. That was 35 years ago.

Now we are still being told no one really knows the reason for CTDs and maybe rebuilding the data base will solve the problem - it doesn't.

I went back to T:ANE. It is far more stable.

The Database I used at work from Oracle often got out of sync and needed rebuilding and that was only 11 years ago, was an enormous database though used in the public sector with thousands of users consequently was incredibly slow.

In some but not all cases a database repair can fix crashes, depends on what the cause is, if you keep needing to do it then something else is causing it, maybe file corruption or more likely one of the rogue assets on the DLS that causes crashes but are not apparently faulty, there was a list of such items one needs to avoid on here somewhere at one point.
Probably less likely but bad sectors on a drives, defective memory, overheating of CPU or GPU or a dodgy PSU can also cause crashes.

At a minimum when anything crashes here I check the disk or disks for any problems before assuming that xyz program is responsible or running a DBR, crashes can corrupt files.

My TRS19 also crashes very frequently. Sometimes it seems clicking two things too fast confuses the game and results in a CTD. I've become used to it, saving very frequently and crossing my fingers at every little "hiccup". Surprisingly, it very rarely throws and automatic DBR up.

Matt

Loads of download errors

I wasn't sure if this belongs in this same thread, but it might be related to the crashes I've been having. On top of the crashes, (which have settled down to a manageable 0 - 2 per day after I tried to keep myself from exploring the DLS) I get frequent errors when I do download things through Content Manager. Often something like half the assets in the download fail with the message "connection interrupted" or "please check your MyTrainz login details". Also the download window frequently displays speeds as low as 500 bytes per second. The errors might have something to do with my internet connection, but I'm not sure.

Actually, Trainz crashed for the third time in the exact same way today, while I was in CM and started the sim to test something out. Maybe 😬🤞 this is a specific bug, at least for this case?

neilkitt

Your not alone, I have Plus version 105100 and really regret even loading Plus. I like to build routes and run AI control trains and Plus is not built for that. I also get frequent crashes and most for no reason. I have seen the game crash doing nothing put just looking at the screen. I have seen and what might be vertices related crashes because of frequent crashes when I attempt to grab a vertices to move a track. I have tried everything to fix or reduce the crashes. I even started a new route with Plus just to see what is going to happen. So far the crashes are still present but not as frequent like on my older route. I would submit a bug report if I could isolate more what the cause is. I even deleted the upgraded version of Plus and redownloaded Plus version 105100. Started the new route and saw it crash with hardly anything even on the route. Believe me, I am ticked off cause I am paying a monthly fee for trainz and its just not working out for me. Anyways, good luck finding the solution with your problem.

This isn't a bug. I recommend running a database repair. If that doesn't fix it press CTRL while selecting rebuild database to run an Extended Database Repair (EDBR).

What's happened is you've had previous crashes that have corrupted the database and now when that's read in the program crashes.

Just today ran a DBR after it crashed, restarted the computer, and ran an extended DBR. It crashed ten minutes after I reopened it. :(

Create a new data folder.

Setup a new folder on your disk. Don't put in the User data folder area (C:\users\yourname\app data\local, etc. Instead put it in another location, preferably on another drive.

Go into the settings on the Launcher.
Go to the install tab, click on the ... in the right corner. (Take note of your old location just in case this doesn't work).
Browse your hard drive for you new data folder, which is empty.
Select that one.

You'll see a quick dbr run and you'll have to restart.

Close the Launcher and wait a few minutes...

Start up again.
Go into settings.
Go to internet tab
Put in your Username and password.
Go to Dev tab and check advanced debug options - to get logs, etc.

You might have to restart again (can't remember - brain fart!)

Restart if you have to. Check settings.

If all okay, start Trainz and see if it works even if you only have Kickstarter county installed. We only want to test this.

If all okay, download your DLC and extra built-ins.

If all okay, then there's something seriously wrong with your data folder and let's hope you have a backup.

I got a ctd testing a new loco on KC2, first time it ran fine, second time ctd, 3d try ctd with the train at the same spot. What I found was I had two locos not one, found other loco under water with no track, do not know how that got there. Made new session and it all worked as normal.

Create a new data folder.

Setup a new folder on your disk. Don't put in the User data folder area (C:\users\yourname\app data\local, etc. Instead put it in another location, preferably on another drive.

Go into the settings on the Launcher.
Go to the install tab, click on the ... in the right corner. (Take note of your old location just in case this doesn't work).
Browse your hard drive for you new data folder, which is empty.
Select that one.

You'll see a quick dbr run and you'll have to restart.

Close the Launcher and wait a few minutes...

Start up again.
Go into settings.
Go to internet tab
Put in your Username and password.
Go to Dev tab and check advanced debug options - to get logs, etc.

You might have to restart again (can't remember - brain fart!)

Restart if you have to. Check settings.

If all okay, start Trainz and see if it works even if you only have Kickstarter county installed. We only want to test this.

If all okay, download your DLC and extra built-ins.

If all okay, then there's something seriously wrong with your data folder and let's hope you have a backup.
To clarify: this would be to test if an asset in the data folder is causing the crashes, or the folder itself? And if it's an asset, it would have been corrupted at some point, and is there any way to find out if that has happened and to what files?

To clarify: this would be to test if an asset in the data folder is causing the crashes, or the folder itself? And if it's an asset, it would have been corrupted at some point, and is there any way to find out if that has happened and to what files?

This is the more drastic approach of cutting losses and moving on I suppose.

If you want to look for bad assets in your current install:

1) Go to open for edit folder and revert everything in there that's open for edit.

2) Check for faulty assets and either delete them, or repair them, your choice. It could be one of these too ya know that's causing the CTD.

Be careful of faulty assets. Missing dependencies in this case don't count as faulty. I mean truly faulty.

3) Search for Installed, AND NOT Built-in.

You can add the additional filter choices by clicking on the + on the far right of the screen. If you need to, and this is highly recommended, add in all the columns in Content Manager.

4) Sort by Kuid with lowest first.

I would say sort by date installed, but that gets a bit messed up with fresh installs and updates.

5) Highlight a bunch of assets, perhaps 10 at a time.

6) Click on Content on the menu bar.

7) Choose disable.

8) Run Trainz.

Does it crash?

If not, go back to your list and unhide one at a time. Test and if nothing, move on to the next bunch. Repeat disabling, testing, enabling, until all the assets are covered.

You'll run into something that's hosed, and you can then delete that asset and redownload it again.

Now do you want to do this, or cut your losses, create a new folder, import the routes you created/modified and then download only what you need for those routes again from the DLS. You may also need to install stuff from CDPs if you purchased something from Jointed Rail, or downloaded stuff from third-party websites.

But anyway, this is the long convoluted process. Pick your poison.

I read somewhere (possibly Steam) that there's a surefire method to stop the crashes.

And it's simple: run in windowed mode. I have yet to test this myself, but it sounds like the only solution we have until the hotfix is released.

I read somewhere (possibly Steam) that there's a surefire method to stop the crashes.

And it's simple: run in windowed mode. I have yet to test this myself, but it sounds like the only solution we have until the hotfix is released.

That's possible and related to the video card or GPU they are using, or even heat related if running on a laptop. The other issue too is sometimes minimizing the program while switching to something else can cause the program to crash so it's best to run windowed. With that said, I recommend running windowed anyway even if it's maximized. The title bar doesn't get in the way, and with the windowed mode the user can open up a browser or some other application at the same time without minimizing and causing the program to crash. It's great having multiple displays with one being used for a browser and Google Earth while the other is running TRS2019. With that setup, I can measure things on the fly in Google Earth while laying track in the program at the same time.

Last edited:
Welp . . . I decided to create a 'clean' database with the help of these posts (thanks JCitron) and the Trainz wiki page. While I was in the process of redownloading some of the official Trainz content I had purchased, Trainz did quit once again. But maybe it was because of fullscreen mode - I guess I'll avoid that from now on. I'll see if it crashes more or if this will be the solution.

May have found out why I got a ctd, I was using an old trainz build 1.3 engine file that had a corrupted number in it.

Back