ITE (Interlocking Tower Extended) questions

horacefithers

Hey...

I found that two opposing AI trains would usually deadlock at Hampton on my BC&SJ route (I expect there are likely several other places).

Hampton has a main and 3 full length sidings (loops).

In the test case I set up an eastward train approaches Hampton (from the right). The AI sez, "Hey that first siding track is shorter than the main, lets use it!"

(Note: the inner two sidings are marked with priority 3 track marks to try to keep thru trains off them. This seems to work, I've never seen an AI on them since I installed the track priority markers)

Then, before the eastward train gets to the end of the siding a westward train approaches (from the bottom left).

It also decides that I should make use of the shorter siding track. However the signal is red, so it sits and waits. And waits. And presently the eastward trains shows up and the two artificial idiots glare at each other across the signals at the east (left) end of Hampton.

So I thought, "I should use a tower here..."

So I installed a Enhanced TRC3 invisible interlocking Tower (SP2 and later) and configured four paths through it as follows:

Hampton, West on Main

bcsjv_200328_hampton_ite_01.jpg

Hampton, East on Main

bcsjv_200328_hampton_ite_02.jpg

Hampton, East on Siding

bcsjv_200328_hampton_ite_03.jpg

Hampton, West on Siding

bcsjv_200328_hampton_ite_04.jpg

However, the AI keep fighting over the siding. No attempt is made to use the main.

Is an ITE not suitable for this?

Am I tilting at windmills here?

Do I need to do something ugly like mark the main as eastward and the siding as westward?

Enquiring minds need to know...

Horace Fithers

Even without an EIT, your main should be P1, your sidings should be P2 or P3, your locos should be P1.

I solved the problem.

A combo of
signals mislabeled for diverging and straight route
marked the main priority 1, the passing siding priority 2
marked the locos priority 1 (thanks ecco)
replaced Drive-Via commands with Navigate-Via commands

Result? A flying meet at Hampton

Yay.

Horace Fithers

Back