How can I backup downloaded content?

brlowe

I have downloaded quite a bit of stuff. What folder does it get installed to and how can I back it up so it could be restored if needed or copied to my other gaming computer?

Does anyone else do this? It's far from a fool proof solution, but for items I find and want to download directly myself I click on "Download Details", then "Download FTP", copy and append the name of the item to the front of the kuid and save to a separate folder as an archive. Not the dependencies, just the item I want. That way I have the item and a description saved for reference. The item can then be identified and installed manually as necessary, with any dependencies installed after the fact via Content Manager. Yes, its a bit anal and redundant, but I still prefer maintaining my own backup of individual items. (One of my major peeves with the system as is, is the complete disconnect between a kuid and its description until installed.) And yes, it requires some extra disk storage (which is really cheap now) - but so far it's worked nicely for me and saves me from having to remember the appropriate search criteria to find an item for a newer Trainz version. Or for items that were used in an older version, but still listed for a later version that are now vaporware. (I was an "on again", "off again" user for years until I retired so continuity between versions was not always maintained. And I prefer trying to maintain a single game version vs multiple versions as some do - less complicated in my view, but that's just me.)

Whether or not that helps versus just doing a backup of the Local Data Folder is your decision. That is likely the easiest solution, but I'd like to think I have more control over the items that I want to keep. I'm an old IT guy, so what do I know. I still get irritated that I can't delete obsoleted payware/built-in items.

Last edited:
Right there with you MP242 - I certainly agree about external drive failure, it happens. Multiple backups over more than one drive, or on DVD, are certainly best if one can, but trusting some other entity in the ether to be your sole back up of your stuff no matter what claims they make is foolhardy. More than one 'cloud' entity have already failed, with their customers losing everything. Be responsible for backing up your own stuff, end of story. I didn't mention it in my previous post, but my archive is on more that one drive. Again, old IT guy who doesn't necessarily buy the ready made solutions of the 'cloud'. If you must, use that as a backup to your backup.

I have two backups of the build folder on another internal drive and an external drive. I use Solway's plain backup to keep them up to date. The free software will allow you to backup newer folders/files only so avoiding copying the entire folder.

I actually have my userdata in the a userdata folder in the Trainz folder, In my case there are a few installs, TANE, TRS19 normal, TRS19 plus, TRS19 Plus Beta and TS12.
I actually backup the whole Trainz install to an external Drive which is backed up to a second drive. Plus my main working installs are mirrored to a second PC as well. Chance of two PC's and two backups going down are extremely unlikely.
Advantage of backing it all up is it's easy to just copy back if something gets badly broken or you get a drive or PC failure.
I also keep system images of the operating systems also backed up to external drives again double backed up.
Important though is not to leave the backup drives permanently connected.

I wouldn't trust the Cloud as it's just a silly name for servers which like all computers can fail or get hacked.

Important though is not to leave the backup drives permanently connected.

I wouldn't trust the Cloud as it's just a silly name for servers which like all computers can fail or get hacked.

Different philosophies and ways of working.

I have two external backup drives permanently attached to my system. The second drive has an ON/OFF switch that I leave OFF until I am ready to transfer backups to that drive (so I guess you could say that it is not permanently connected). The ON/OFF drive is a mirror image of the first drive that is permanently connected. I perform backups so often that it suits me to keep backup drive No 1 permanently attached and on - despite the risks.

The only backup drive that has ever failed on me was an NAS attached to my router.

I also backup to the Cloud (Microsoft's OneDrive). I understand the issues that people have with backing up to servers that are well outside their system (and even outside their country) and are most definitely outside their control. I do not backup any personal, financial or security data to the Cloud and the Cloud is never the only storage place for any of my files. Using the Cloud has been particularly useful for Trainz. I have two main Trainz systems at two different locations about 30 minutes drive apart. Using the Cloud is the prefect way to keep both Trainz installations in sync and it easily beats dealing with USB memory sticks/drives.

My Trainz backups consist of

• .cdp files for my current and past projects - backed up to both external backup drives and to the Cloud.
  • Picklists - backed up to both external backup drives and to the Cloud
  • User Data Folders - backed up to both external backup drives only
  • Trainz install files - backed up to both external backup drives only

Back