The New York Jersey Rail Car Float Operation

SharkNose

:wave:

Here's quick 4 minute video that I don't think has been posted here before. From Feb 2, 2017.

The New York Jersey Rail Car Float Operation from NYC to New Jersey

Enjoy!

That is really, really cool. I had seen videos (not on YouTube) of older operations in Brooklyn. They used small saddle tank locomotives for the work in the video I saw. The New Haven had their own docks and used electric locomotives with overhead wires that went right up to those hoists and cables. There used to be operations in Boston as well run by the New Haven subsidiary the Union Railroad. This little switching operation served East Boston and the docks and industries along Atlantic Avenue, Fort Point Channel and other well gentrified places these days. For years the tracks poked their heads out of Atlantic Avenue and out of the middle of Northern Avenue bridge. All of that is gone now of course including the docks.

I wonder if they have to be careful how they load that float.

Towards the end of the video, it looks like it is listing to port a little bit... :confused:

I wonder if they have to be careful how they load that float.

Towards the end of the video, it looks like it is listing to port a little bit... :confused:

I was wondering about that too. I felt my heart thump a bit too as they shoved those gondolas on to the float. I expected them to fall off the other end, which probably happened at some point in the past. Hmm. I wonder how many freight cars are down there underwater near the piers still connected to each other like a chain.

Back