Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trainz 2019 not working

Not sure it is working as intended. I directed my install of 2019 platinum to a folder on my external USB drive, and I DID get the main program path installed there - I think. At least there is SOMETHING there worth 13.5GB, but just Data and Resources folders. When I went to find the actual BUILD folder, it is at C:\Users\[User_name]\Appdata\Local\N3V Games\TRS19. It is almost 83GB. What disappoints me is THAT is what I wanted on the USB drive, but there was no control of that, so I will have to use the steps to move it.

However, for simking1, if permissions don't allow, I did not see anywhere during my install that will allow him to steer the build folder anywhere else, so unless that option is actually placed in the install, it may just be broken for him. I think N3V got the installer backwards on this one, because it does not appear to actually put the build where the user wants it, but defaults it to c:\Users.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Forester1 - There is always a text input box prompt to set the desired path in just about every Trainz installation and patch upgrade.
    To get your userdata away from the C:\Users directory, simply MOVE it over to your chosen, descriptively-named folder on a logical drive which has sufficient space.
    (Or COPY/ PASTE it in its entirety, then delete the original 'Userdata' folder on C:\Users when you have tested that the moved files are working properly and that the program is running them from the new location).
    You then SET the path to your new Userdata (Local data folder) location in the Trainz Settings Install Tab on the Launcher to point to your new desired location/ moved Userdata folders and files.
    The program will then record/ set the new location of your Userdata files in the userdata-redirect-map.txt script on C:\ drive.
    Last edited by PC_Ace; March 29th, 2020 at 08:32 PM.

United States of America, New York, Plattsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Ace View Post
    simking1 - You can direct any installation to install to a path destination that you specify in the dialog box that pops up during installation.
    For example, you can direct the installer to drop the program files into F:\TRS19 and the Userdata files into a folder named 'Userdata' at F:\TRS19\Userdata (or perhaps even on another drive, like E:\Userdata if you wish).
    Trick is to establish these folders beforehand so you can choose these destinations from the ellipsis (...) Browse to... option to the right of the path textbox on the installer dialog.
    One file MUST go to your C:\ drive, however. That is the userdata-redirect-map.txt file which will be installed in your C:\Users\[User_name]\Appdata\Local\N3V Games\TRS19 folder so that Windows and TRS19 knows where the TRS19 executable and Local Data folders reside on your storage disks.
    I did that I installed it into where I wanted it AND in the settings where it asks where you want the content installed I set the new drive however its STILL installing in the C app data.... it's like its ignoring where I told it to install content so i'm getting drive out of space failures because it filling up the C: NOWHERE am I telling it to do this EVERYTHING is telling it to install in my F: terabit drive the game did but the content as i said dispite me setting it to F: still goes to that c: I'm am getting quite fustrated at this by now.
    The light at the end of the tunnel ,is the light of an oncomming train.

simking1 - Sounds like you need to do this manually. Transfer all the files contained inside your Trainz Userdata folder on C:\Users\[User_name]\Appdata\Local\N3V Games\TRS19\build xxxxxxx - (it will likely have a Build name like 'build cqkshvqm1' or similar). Copy the contents, not the build folder name itself.
    Drop them all into a new folder on your F: drive called 'Userdata' (or similar).
    Open up the TRS19 program executable installed on your F: drive by double-clicking it. In the Launcher Trainz Settings dialog, SET the location of your Userdata folder to the new local data folder established on F:\Userdata.
    This way, you are SETTING the path to your new Userdata (Local data folder) location in the Trainz Settings Install Tab on the Launcher to point to your new desired location/ moved Userdata folders and files on F: drive.
    Once this has been achieved and tested thoroughly to ensure that it is working entirely from F Drive, you can delete all the Trainz-related data on C: EXCEPT for the userdata-redirect-map.txt found in your C:\Users\[User_name]\Appdata\Local\N3V Games\TRS19 folder.
    Note: Be careful not to delete the similar redirect-map path for your T:ANE Deluxe installation in the same N3V Games subdirectory. You can place its Userdata folders on another larger hard disk drive too.
    Last edited by PC_Ace; March 29th, 2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added caution re. T:ANE installation also on C:

@PC Yes that is what I did so everything installed this time so we shall see it took two times doing it hopefully it worked .

PC_ACE, I understand your response to my post, but it beats me why it can't just install to my USB drive if that is where I tell it to install. What is this thing N3V has of needing to install it to C: where I distinctly did not tell it to? If it is not going to install the build where we want it why ask?
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Forester1 - Confirming that the only files that absolutely MUST go onto your C:\ drive's AppData directory are the tiny userdata-redirect-map.txt scripts for each Trainz installation. That way the program knows where the executable resides and where your local userdata folder is located. Trainz program folders and Userdata folders can be stored on any other system drives.
    As far as I'm aware, it should be possible to use a USB 3 external data drive for such Userdata storage purposes. There are a few people here who have done so successfully, though it is hardly a good permanent solution due to bandwidth issues. (Probably better if the external drive is an SSD, of course). Unfortunately, most conventional external backup drives are pretty slow old mechanical beasts and many are USB 2.0 or older...
    Did you confirm that you had the path pointing to the correct, desired location by browsing to it using that ellipsis browse tool? Only when that path shows correctly in the Install dialog text box should you click on OK (or similar) to Continue... with the installation (or patching) process.

TRS19 has two folders, the one you direct your new install to and one with all the content which goes to C as default.

Folder 1 has
    data, resources, .dll and TRS19.exe

Folder 2 has
    userdata-redirect-map.txt and build **********.

Once installed just copy or cut the build folder only and paste on another drive. Reset the settings/install to the new location.

I am understanding you guys perfectly, and I will do this as I did with T:ANE, I don't think you are understanding me. If I direct the install to my USB drive, and the only file it needs on C: are the "userdata-redirect-map.txt scripts, then why does N3V insist on installing the build folder there? Why don't they put the build folder where I directed the install to be? It's just an annoyance, it is not that big a deal, but it just seems odd that they don't put the build where the users directs the install.

The reason it defaults to the C:\Users.... for the local data is a Microsoft requirement, changing it after installing however is OK.
    Malc

OP here all is working for some reason I had to redo the steps twice but it works now thanks all!