False RED Signals Continue

boleyd

I purchased Platinum hoping that by some miracle a fresh load of the "latest" software would eliminate my false red signals.

By false red I mean, only one active train and that train encounters RED signals. An added feature is slowing the only active train a long distance prior to the RED which just adds to a very "sluggish" railroad. I am the only one with this and can't figure it out. New Platinum load but same as the older versions. There is no joy in fighting the same issues over and over. I can eliminate all signals but then an element of reality is eliminated. :(

Signals are Safetran C type. Only 04 and 06 and no gantry's.

Signals are not falsely red.

We understand how this has been a point of confusion but signals are not falsely red. You are conflating a standard real-world safety protocol that is reflected in some signals used in Trainz as a bug. This is not the case.

In the case where AI is used, the system does not assume the state is all clear by default. Instead it processes a nav command AFTER it has ascertained the route ahead is indeed all clear. In real world applications, AI operates within a radius around a vehicle. This is done with sensors that "ping" for objects based on sensor hardpoints. For ground vehicles this is approx 50m. After the asset traverses a portion of the path, it forgets it.

In Trainz, we only care about fore and aft. So if you approach a signal, the AI will evaluate it and proceed after the safety check has passed (now the signal clears ahead). AI does not see the route like a human does, it travels down the track like water running from a spigot, picking up data, checking for changes and processing it along the way, all based on heading. It cannot understand "I know I only have one train on this entire map therefore all signals shall be green". AI does not work\think that way in the game or in the real world, unless there is an overriding condition to tell it otherwise. Additionally, signals often do not update unless at least one asset is on the track within the proximity set either by the signal default or a user configuration (on signals supporting such mods). This is testable by placing track with 3 "standard US" signals, a track ends signal, and a run-around spur. Even with the two junctions aligned to the main track, and no loco on the track, signals will render red. Now place a loco on the track, the signals update "all clear" when the vehicle is detected.

If you want to create a path having priority for a train there are several rules you may use to tell signals how to behave. Optionally, add another train someplace to make the AI do additional checks or make the path a closed loop by aligning junctions in surveyor.

Another recent good resource covering this topic: ;)

Back