What USB Throttle controllers work with Trainz

brlowe

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone is using some kind of throttle control. Not the raildriver controller as that one is a bit pricy and I really would just like a throttle lever of some kind or even better does someone mage a USB controller that looks and works like a model railroad throttle? That would be great to have something with a dial like that.

mrc0001278.jpg

or like this
mrcah601.jpg

Any USB controller can be used as long as you enable the interface in your settings. During testing, I borrowed an XBox controller from my nephew and it worked as intended. Having something with a bit more rail focus is better, but the cost of the Raildriver is a bit too high for my budget as well. Like MP242 I use the keyboard, although it's not as "realistic", it works very well and you get used to the controls really quickly.

Personally, instead of a Raildriver control stand, I'd would find a way to connect an actual control stand from a scrapped locomotive, like that in MP242's video, to my computer, like the simulators railroads use to train engineers on. And I would make sure all the gauges work correctly and react correctly whenever I made any adjustments to the controls.

Last edited:
Personally, instead of a Raildriver control stand, I'd would find a way to connect an actual control stand from a scrapped locomotive, like that in MP242's video, to my computer, like the simulators railroads use to train engineers on. And I would make sure all the gauges work correctly and react correctly whenever I made any adjustments to the controls.

That's very possible using an various tools such as Analog to Digital converters and other electronics to convert the manual switching mechanisms and other pressure gauge readings into computer readable format. Using the Trainz Native Interface, this information can be read into T:ANE and up and used to control various functions. Part of this information can also be read through the USB port and a game-controller type interface. This hardware part is complicated and it takes a bit of an electrical engineering background to make it work along with an understanding in programming, especially in C++ and other scripting languages.

Back