Tennessee Pass may be reopened someday.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
This is great news, let's hope it happens and both freights and passengers ride the rails from one end to the other!

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/feds-asked-to-direct-union-pacific-to-sell-tennessee-pass-line-to-agriculture-company/

I was wondering about the status of this great line last night because I've been exploring, again, on the possibility of building the route in Trainz. It's a huge undertaking, and something I started a few years ago and gave up on due to many reasons.

From reading the article, I saw that a group of investors wanted to purchase the dormant line from the UP, but the UP ignored their offer because they don't want the competition. This line will directly compete with the UP and BNSF as a grain and goods hauler across the Rockies. For that reason, the investors are asking the Surface Transportation Board, (STB) to intervene and assist because of the unfair advantage that the UP has. Hopefully, with my fingers crossed, and hopefully all of yours as well, the STB will rule in favor of the investors and they can get the route up and running after investing nearly $300 million into the route.

Anyway I was excited to see this article come up in my search. It's a rare thing these days to see a route like this become a viable rail line again instead of a useless NIMBY bike trail with stuffed locomotives and signs about what used to be there. Let's hope it comes true.

Reading a bit more on the Trains Magazine news wire, it seems that there is a possibility that the first group are mostly real estate speculators. There is at least one other suitor in this drama.

Reading a bit more on the Trains Magazine news wire, it seems that there is a possibility that the first group are mostly real estate speculators. There is at least one other suitor in this drama.

The real estate speculators part scares me because they like things such as rail trails. Let's hope the other suitor is interested in running a railroad as well.

I am sure they would not spend that kind of money to have a trail. They could build a road and sell lots, depending on how their holdings were platted.

Weird that Union Pacific has done what it has and dare say that freight may be the premier corner unlike this side of the pond where passenger is the main thrust. However letting such a long route be left does not make sense and can only hope that it is rescued and used once again.

Back