.
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Dark Menu - trouble

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville
    Posts
    3,633
     

    Thumbs down Dark Menu - trouble

    ANOTHER -, the dark menu for Save As to save a session caused me trouble. I spent several minutes until I discovered a dark selection box on a dark background to name a Save. Is this going to be changed? Or do I have to continue to either make errors or spend time fiddling until I uncover the dark box on a dark background. My PC screen is adjusted to provide proper flesh tone on several TV network feeds.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 4gb video card

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Sydney
    Posts
    6,833
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    Dick, welcome to the Colour Vision Challenged Club, we always welcome new members.

    In the meantime here is a couple of keyboard shortcuts (Win 10) that might alleviate your suffering.

    Press WINDOW LOGO Key and PLUS key to turn on Magnifier. Press WINDOW LOGO Key and MINUS key to turn it off. While the magnifier is ON, press

    CTRL ALT I

    to invert all the screen colours, press them again to return the colours to normal.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia, South Australia, Barossa Valley
    Posts
    90
     

    Default

    I would also like to apply for membership to the club.
    Cheers
    Bob

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Sydney
    Posts
    6,833
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert65d View Post
    I would also like to apply for membership to the club.
    Granted. Membership is free.

    PS. I just heard that your state will be closing all its borders with the other states (are we really that bad?) from 4pm Tuesday. You will have to attend the meetings via Skype.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia, South Australia, Barossa Valley
    Posts
    90
     

    Default

    Yes, and with 10 American tourists in the Barossa with the virus, the area has gone into shutdown mode.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Last edited by Robert65d; March 22nd, 2020 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Correction

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    United States of America, Fl, Vero Beach
    Posts
    31
     

    Default

    I would like to join this club. Got anything for the Mac??????.
    Jim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW, Sydney
    Posts
    6,833
    Blog Entries
    3
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimboN View Post
    I would like to join this club. Got anything for the Mac??????.
    Unfortunately no. Macs are not an area I have any experience with or knowledge of.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville
    Posts
    3,633
     

    Default

    Thanks, I keep forgetting about the magnifier and recoloring. I am under self-quarantine, not because I am ill, but as a safety precaution. No one can enter the house. All exchanged items are via the garage. So, Trainz, etc... is my prime entertainment. I also have an Amateur Radio (Ham) station. I usually keep a very small window open to the news when I am playing with virtual trains. So a train may be moving along but the sound is TV news. I have to keep both windows at moderate size or I hit the thermal ceiling of the CPU at 98c. I have inadvertently run at that throttled level and my very old 2500K 4.2ghz cpu is still running. Big Cooler Master case with 4 fans. I still want N3V to start using more reasonable color combos. Attention to style is marketing. You sold me, so now allow me to adjust the coloring to suit my taste.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 4gb video card

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Crewe, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    16,095
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    ANOTHER -, the dark menu for Save As to save a session caused me trouble. I spent several minutes until I discovered a dark selection box on a dark background to name a Save. Is this going to be changed? Or do I have to continue to either make errors or spend time fiddling until I uncover the dark box on a dark background. My PC screen is adjusted to provide proper flesh tone on several TV network feeds.
    I used to have to adjust for flesh tone on TV, however not since getting new monitors. Were LG now ACER if that has any bearing. I hadn't noticed how bad the originals had got until one died and I replaced it, so replaced the other one as well.

    I don't have a problem seeing them but is Interesting that the text boxes are slightly different colours, in save route is pure black and save session a dark grey, would have thought the would be the same colour?

    Also a Radio Ham by the way, seem to be quite a few of us on here!
    Malc


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    770
     

    Default

    This has been a problem since (at least) TANE. N3V has been made aware of the interface problems, including, but not limited to, dark on dark words and check boxes. The entire color scheme of the Save and SaveAs options are a confusing disgrace.

    N3V continues to ignore the interface problems. Instead they take the time to make [sarcasm]really cool[/sarcasm] avatars with weird eyeballs.

    However, I still pay for new stuff. I guess that makes me the dummy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Ohio
    Posts
    4,095
     

    Default

    I am having a great deal of trouble reading menus what with the colors being so close in hue. For most of the scripted crossings, there is just a big, blank area below the top stuff in white. The rest is black on a very dark blue. Impossible to read.

    I didn't you you were a ham, Malc. I've been one since 1956. Currently WB0HYQ (got that in 1963). Best one was in Thailand: HS5IS (all dits, no dahs) - try that on a bug.

    Bill
    Last edited by HiBaller; March 22nd, 2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Name: Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 55 years
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (SP4)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill
    Posts
    27,449
     

    Default

    If you don't mind, I would like to join as well. Due to a vision problem, I too have a problem with low contrast colors. I was using the magnifier before, but recently I've been running TRS19 on my 1366 x 720 TV. The text is big enough and being a TV, the contrast settings work, however, there is still that difficulty in seeing check boxes, and some text.

    I find if I can highlight the text in a dialog box, I will get a reverse color and be able to see the text against the darker background.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    182
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Thanks, I keep forgetting about the magnifier and recoloring. I am under self-quarantine, not because I am ill, but as a safety precaution. No one can enter the house. All exchanged items are via the garage. So, Trainz, etc... is my prime entertainment. I also have an Amateur Radio (Ham) station. I usually keep a very small window open to the news when I am playing with virtual trains. So a train may be moving along but the sound is TV news. I have to keep both windows at moderate size or I hit the thermal ceiling of the CPU at 98c. I have inadvertently run at that throttled level and my very old 2500K 4.2ghz cpu is still running. Big Cooler Master case with 4 fans. I still want N3V to start using more reasonable color combos. Attention to style is marketing. You sold me, so now allow me to adjust the coloring to suit my taste.

    Dick, let's start another club:'The Trainzers self-quarantine, because we care club'.

    Ron

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Crewe, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    16,095
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    If you don't mind, I would like to join as well. Due to a vision problem, I too have a problem with low contrast colors. I was using the magnifier before, but recently I've been running TRS19 on my 1366 x 720 TV. The text is big enough and being a TV, the contrast settings work, however, there is still that difficulty in seeing check boxes, and some text.

    I find if I can highlight the text in a dialog box, I will get a reverse color and be able to see the text against the darker background.
    Doesn't work on the Save Dialogue, leastwise not in TRS19 I tried it yesterday as I had done that in the past with my knackered old monitors!

    @HiBaller, Bill, first licenced in 1984 as G1DVL then 1985 after passing the morse test as G0DRN. Had to downsize now I'm living in a flat, so HF is out at the moment, restricted to 6m, 2m and 70cms unless I go portable and not much chance of that now with this virus mess.
    Malc


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill
    Posts
    27,449
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Doesn't work on the Save Dialogue, leastwise not in TRS19 I tried it yesterday as I had done that in the past with my knackered old monitors!

    @HiBaller, Bill, first licenced in 1984 as G1DVL then 1985 after passing the morse test as G0DRN. Had to downsize now I'm living in a flat, so HF is out at the moment, restricted to 6m, 2m and 70cms unless I go portable and not much chance of that now with this virus mess.
    Yeah... I go with position and squint.

    We have a tower up the street from me located up on Powder House Hill. A group of amateurs used to run the tower including a former coworker of mine from Polaroid.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •