Developed Performance Issues

Developer on top launcher menu not Trainz Settings Dev, although you may need to enable the Enable advanced debug tools in the Trainz settings first, can't remember but mine is.

While it's going smoothly... if I point the camera straight down (no textures or scenery visible) I'm getting 29.1. When I'm moving around working on my layout, it's about 19-21fps.

I have exited Trainz and reopened... it's now choppy, regardless of what I'm looking at. and it's rendering 30fps

I'm now in Driver, smooth display... getting 21fps. After about a minute...
I'm back in Surveyor, still smooth display... 30fps

Thinks....... OK where is the camera pointing when the stuttering starts? Could be looking at something some distance away that's causing it?

Thinks....... OK where is the camera pointing when the stuttering starts? Could be looking at something some distance away that's causing it?

It has nothing to do with what I see on the screen or what the camera is pointing at. That's why it's so strange. I go into Driver and the same scenery... it's fine. I come back to surveyor, same scenery, it's fine. But if I close Trainz and start it back up, it's choppy. But only on the big route I'm working on.

That was exactly my issue with my route. Those tiny intsy-weentsy, little bitty buoys caused a big pause.

It has nothing to do with what I see on the screen or what the camera is pointing at. That's why it's so strange. I go into Driver and the same scenery... it's fine. I come back to surveyor, same scenery, it's fine. But if I close Trainz and start it back up, it's choppy. But only on the big route I'm working on.

Have you tried "walking" around in driver?

Let your train go under AI control and look around at ground level using the free camera.

What I found is there will be a burp-like hesitation and then the next time I went through the same area everything was fine. This made things very difficult to find.

From my experience I have found the following causes of stutters and lockups.

An old Ground Texture.
An old Wire mesh fence.
A 1930's car, fixed by deleting and re-downloading it.
A Speed Tree caused crashes.
A few SpeedTrees are FPS killers even in TRS19.
A very high poly magnolia tree, not a SpeedTree.
A junction that went downwards below the base board, didn't have a lever so wasn't obvious until I went to wire frame, where it was going downwards but in line with the main track, not sure how that happened.
Very high poly people, clearly 3ds max or similar models made for static use not games imported to Trainz with no Lod and used in large numbers.
Forget which ones, but models that had a massive bounding box for a small item, probably a stray vertice or vertices not noticed when exporting, those can be picked up for im meshes using Pev's mesh viewer, they look very tiny and the detail show a ridiculous size. I'm pretty sure TRS19 now picks these up as a warning now.

Back