Developed Performance Issues

jcardana

Trainz Enthusiast
I'm not really expecting a solution, wondering if I'm alone in this...

I haven't had any problems until a few days ago. Probably something between a Windows Update or a bad asset/texture.

Driver is fine and running smooth. I'm getting a choppy display in Surveyor. Even if I zoom in and point straight down at the ground. It's like 3-5fps.

If I go into Trainz Settings/Dev Tab and select Compatibility Mode to Max Performance, my display is fine but then I get script errors trying to open the properties for the TRC crossings.

If I select Max Compatibility, I get the choppy display. But I don't get script errors.

If I select Stream Objects (not knowing what this setting is for, or does) I get a good display, I can edit properties without script errors... BUT, my track vanishes and trackside objects move to the edge of the map.

If I reboot, I have no problems until I close and reopen Trainz. Then the choppy comes back. It takes 4-7 minutes to reboot. I have thinned out my background services to about 140.

Anyone else get these problems or have I been Trainzing too long?

Thanks for your time,
Joe

Code:
Trainz Settings/Performance settings...
ShadQlty:    Off
MainShadRes: 2048
ShadQual:    Standard
TexDet:      Normal
PostProc:    High
H2OQual:     High
DetailScen:  Clutter + TurfFX
AA:          8x
DetailRate:  Ultra
Using Texture Streaming
No PhysX
Processing Objects behind Cam

What graphics card are you running? There was a Nvidia/Geforce Experience update a day or two ago (which I declined) maybe that has killed it?

A while ago, I noticed that my pc wasn't running well - after a new graphics card.
Turned out that the CPU overclocking had been turned off...

It's worth checking the clock settings of both CPU and GPU. Also check the cooling - both will throttle down if they start to overheat.

I'm assuming that Trainz is excluded from your virus checker ( and its temporary files)

You can always download a previous nVidia driver from their website & reinstall.

Colin

Uninstall the GF Experience, it'll suck the performance out of your system because it constantly talks back to NVIDIA. I noticed a BIG difference myself when I disabled, actually uninstalled it from my system. When updating, I choose the new drivers from the website and install with out GFE.

Check you haven't got 442.74 installed, it's full of issues one being large fps drop according to the Nvidia forums. 442.50 or 442.59 should be OK, 74 is an update for the just released Doom Eternal.

Last edited:
Check you haven't got 442.79 installed, it's full of issues one being large fps drop according to the Nvidia forums. 442.50 or 442.59 should be OK, 79 is an update for the just released Doom Eternal.
Just checking..... I have 442.74 installed. Did you mean 442.74 or was 442.79 taken down?

If I go into Trainz Settings/Dev Tab and select Compatibility Mode to Max Performance, my display is fine but then I get script errors trying to open the properties for the TRC crossings.

If I select Max Compatibility, I get the choppy display. But I don't get script errors.

Maximum Compatibility is "normal mode" and is what most users should be using all of the time.
Maximum Performance is "developer mode" and exactly what its function is I do not know, but it will produce script and other errors. That is why the Compatibility Mode setting is in the Developer tab.

Maximum Compatibility is "normal mode" and is what most users should be using all of the time.
Maximum Performance is "developer mode" and exactly what its function is I do not know, but it will produce script and other errors. That is why the Compatibility Mode setting is in the Developer tab.
Thanks you for this info. That's helpful!

I have uninstalled Geforce Experience. Rebooted. Started TRS19. Edited my 60mi long Railrunner route... Ran smooth... changed to a small route to experiment with something... ran smooth... went back to my RailRunner route... Choppy again.

I'm looking at the Surveyor Performance stats...

Worst Buffer Count and Index count refer to kuid-25:1062, which is the Tane 1trk Wood
Worst Script Library: trc close.gs

I'm looking at the Surveyor Performance stats...

Worst Buffer Count and Index count refer to kuid-25:1062, which is the Tane 1trk Wood
Worst Script Library: trc close.gs

Only need to worry about the worst buffer count if it is over 100, not a lot you can do about Index, track is 99.99% usually the worst buffer count and can be ignored.

Odd that its OK then not OK which probably rules out a caching issue. Maybe looking in the wrong place, maybe disable indexing on the Trainz drive? Check your GPU temperatures?

And if Win10 is using Game mode, get rid of it, slows things down here!

I will add, really check assets in particular areas. I found the stats to be difficult to work with and instead used general area and point of view. I used the walk around camera and watched the FPS in the profiler. - Click on the developer menu item on the Launcher. Ensure you are running Windowed instead of full screen in the settings. Ignore all the other stats and numbers, and focus on the FPS in the upper part of the profiler window.

As I said, I put myself on the ground and moved along and looked around on a route that I kept getting awful stutters and some real hesitations in one section. It took me a couple of days of testing because I had other things to do, but I eventually found the culprits. In my case the asset was a red buoy and a bunch of them.

<kuid2:60238:26121:1> Navigation Buoy Red

Once I deleted multiple of these along a navigation channel, yeah they were a pain to place too, the frame rates on that part of the route jumped up in line with the rest of the route.

What I did was delete a suspected asset, test, and if things didn't improve, I put the asset back in. Eventually after a lot of trials and more than a lot of errors, I found this little tiny innocuous asset. There are no errors with the asset, however, there are several warnings about uniform colors.

Only need to worry about the worst buffer count if it is over 100
It's sitting at 6
Odd that its OK then not OK which probably rules out a caching issue.
After I run in Driver Mode for a couple minutes, I go back to Surveyor and it's fine.
Maybe looking in the wrong place, maybe disable indexing on the Trainz drive?
Doing that now...
Check your GPU temperatures?
Avg GPU temp was 116ºF
And if Win10 is using Game mode, get rid of it, slows things down here!
I'll have to look into this. I'm still new to Win10... Game Mode huh?

Found and turned off Game Mode. Still choppy... then I go in Driver, come back... not choppy. Very strange. Still turning off indexing.

Developer > Show Profiler.
That Option isn't listed.
Trainz Launcher... Trainz Settings... Dev Tab... list of checkboxes are...
-Enable advanced debug tools
-Show script Exception notifications
-Log script output
-Log script message handling

I don't see that option in the Debug render list either

Back