Looking for great model railroad layouts in download station *** New builder ***

brlowe

I have owned Trainz for a long time and a few versions but not played with it too much. I keep wanted to build a model railroad of a layout my grandfather had published in Model railroader back in the 1940's. I have the issue with it in it. For now I want to see and download a few good ones from the download station to see what others have done.
Also can someone point me to some good tutorial videos I can watch?

If you search my username on the DLS, you'll find a few that I've uploaded. Wouldn't call them great though but gives an idea of what can be done.

brlowe --

To answer your second question first, this is the video that inspired many of us to get started with model trainz:

As for the first question. I see that my name has been mentioned above. I've probably uploaded as many model layouts as anyone. Whether they qualify as " a few good ones from the download station" I'll let others decide.

I do a reasonably detailed posting in the Forums describing the layouts and the sessions I upload. Here is one example:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151679-TRS19-layout-The-Hoofhearted-amp-Smelz-RRCo

To find others you might like to do an "Advanced Search", thus:

Advanced%20Search.jpg

And while my latest route, "Rivercide", isn't actually a model layout, it has that certain feel to it:

Rivercide%20CPR%20D10_01.jpg

Rivercide%20N%26W%20A%20Class%202-6-6-4_04.jpg

Rivercide%20PRR%20FG-1%202-6-6-6_01.jpg

Phil

YouTube has many videos, just search for Trainz.

The N3V and Approach Medium channels spring to mind but there are also others worth checking out.

William

Thanks for the answers.
Phil your stuff looks great. I will use it to inspire me.
The railroad I'm going to build I started as a kid in N-guage but then life took over, I found girls and now we have grandchildren. No time, Money or space to build what I would want to do so this is the next best thing. I'm going to expand the railroad and add some things my grandfather and I talked about as space and money are not really an issue now. I will try to post the article later.

*** EDIT ***
Here are the pics. The railroad will be expanded and spread out quiet a bit. I will keep the basic track lines but we had changes we were doing when I was a kid that I will put into this. The elevation changes are going to be larger too.

Last edited:
LOL! Reminds me of what I always tell people. If I had the time, space and money I would restore old cars, but so far I have had not had even one of the three. At least with trainz the money and space are not to hard, if you have a powerful computer, a monster graphics card, and terabytes of space to start with.... :p

P.S. That's a nice looking layout!

LOL! Reminds me of what I always tell people. If I had the time, space and money I would restore old cars, but so far I have had not had even one of the three. At least with trainz the money and space are not to hard, if you have a powerful computer, a monster graphics card, and terabytes of space to start with.... :p

P.S. That's a nice looking layout!

Yes if I had time and money I would restore old airplanes or build homebuilt airplanes.
As for my computer I have a nice gaming system, i7 8086, RTX 2080 Super, 32GB ram, 4TB M.2 drives and watercooled. I have 3 Ultrawide 29" monitors too. SO I think I have the system part covered.

This is a great model railroad to work with!

You can easily scan this in and come up with the route to work on with the track plan in place by using BaseMapz. That comes as a separate application and is included with TMR2017.

As a Trainzer, you'll find that space is no longer a problem when building the layout of your dreams. :)

I too have N-scale equipment all tucked away in boxes in part due to the lack of space.

Phil has a post or a video which shows his method of building a layout. I found it quite interesting. Perhaps he can point you to it. Many of his routes are based on model railroad plans that are expanded to fit a larger area. Sounds like that is exactly what you want to do.

If you want to try Basemapz, I would suggest you go to the website to download it. The one included with TMR17 has a bug that can cause you trouble.

https://dhobh.net/Trainz/Basemapz/basemapz.htm

William

Back