Shaders - any tips to using the highest quality setting?

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
I ask because if I change the shaders to the highest setting the terrain gets "trippy" where ever I make a cut and the terrain drops sharply.

I hate to miss out on the terrain eye candy that the newer textures provide but the effect seems over done. Like they cranked the effect up so high to make it obvious on flat ground and it makes terrain contors warped.

I ask because if I change the shaders to the highest setting the terrain gets "trippy" where ever I make a cut and the terrain drops sharply.

I hate to miss out on the terrain eye candy that the newer textures provide but the effect seems over done. Like they cranked the effect up so high to make it obvious on flat ground and it makes terrain contors warped.

The mouse is a bit more sensitive, or perhaps quicker moving, in TRS19 than other versions, but it works fine here. Try slowing down your mouse and try again.

frogpipe - you've nailed it there! There's not a lot of subtlety applied by some developers to many of the parallax & PBR effects, which only really becomes apparent when you are using 'Ultra' shader quality.
Nevertheless, to see all of the 3D 'eye candy' as intended, you do need to leave the Shader Quality setting on 'Ultra', otherwise it won't be properly rendered.
In time, as the novelty of this new toy wears out, we'll doubtless see some more subtle effects applied to assets using more mature and artfully-applied PBR techniques.

The mouse is a bit more sensitive, or perhaps quicker moving, in TRS19 than other versions, but it works fine here. Try slowing down your mouse and try again.

No it's not a mouse thing, it's a visual thing. Terrain that looks ok at lower "post processing" settings looks like an acid trip on ultra.

frogpipe - you've nailed it there! There's not a lot of subtlety applied by some developers to many of the parallax & PBR effects, which only really becomes apparent when you are using 'Ultra' shader quality.
Nevertheless, to see all of the 3D 'eye candy' as intended, you do need to leave the Shader Quality setting on 'Ultra', otherwise it won't be properly rendered.
In time, as the novelty of this new toy wears out, we'll doubtless see some more subtle effects applied to assets using more mature and artfully-applied PBR techniques.

I was hoping there was some way to "dial it back" but maybe not :(

There are several methods to get around that problem.
Try using non pbr textures for cuttings and cliffs taking care to keep away from splines when blending in pbr or
Hide the acid trip inside a cliff spline. Dangavel has a great range start with DG on the DLS
cheers
Graeme

How about a vidya? A still won't do it justice. :confused:

link removed

Oh yeah I see what you mean. That's the PBR jellyfish guts thing. Avoid PBR on steep slopes and set the radius as small as possible should you want to use the textures elsewhere. I still use the old textures which work perfectly fine, well mostly.

rayfry -
Is there no 4K settings in trainz.

There used to be, but N3V has for the past few months restricted the top display resolution in TRS19 to a max of 2560 by 1440 (Quad HD Resolution) for reasons they've outlined in other posts on this forum.
Suggest use the Forum Search facilities up near the top right of this screen. You can choose to search this thread or conduct an Advanced Search.
This thread is about Shader Quality and PBR effects and not screen resolution.

Here's a quote from Tony_Hilliam in a T:ANE forum dated 13th February 2020, for example:
We removed higher resolution fullscreen options to reduce the number of people using ultrahigh resolution without having the hardware required to run the game smoothly.

The number of complaints about performance have plummeted, and the number of people wanting the high res option back has increased.

We're considering the options for future updates, but meanwhile you can use windowed mode which will be at native resolution.

Last edited:
Back