Content creation during a pandemic.

And here is that same building today .....yes........that's the same building . Sad, isn't it ? (some call this progress)
The-Pierce-House.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now here's The Pierce House from a couple weeks ago.
The proprietor acknowledges that " business is pretty dead lately" and went on to tell me " around here we don't say " social distancing"...we say " get the hell away from me." Very down to earth and straight forward folks here.
The-Pierce-House-...........business-is-dead-lately..jpg

Last edited:
I've determined that the length of my walking stick and my arm when pushed against the chest of an incautiously approaching person is exactly two metres. (two metres is the social distancing measurement here in NZ). Fortunately because I don't go anywhere I haven't had to test the method.

Yes i wonder about 'progress' too sometimes JimDep. The model you have made of Pierce House is an excellent piece of work and has certainly done the building justice in recalling its heyday.

Thanks so much, KG. You're a jewel.
The pic of my model above looks a little stretched to me. I don't know if it's this pic or the model. I'll go back and give it an adjustment if needed.
Here's another real pic of this once great establishment, now run down apartments. It's amazing to me to see photos and read stories of what society was like a hundred or so years ago. So much beauty let go to waste..and they sure don't build them like they used to. I wish you well with your health and well being.
Remsen-Pierce-House.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
That Pierce House is similar to what Australians would call a "Queenslander" but most of them would be single story and often on stilts so you could walk underneath. The deep verandahs provided some shelter from the sun and helped cool the house. Many of them were knocked down in the name of progress but then folk recognised their heritage value and restored those that remained. You now get a house built to that style.

Not doing much content creation but I sure have caught up on a few jobs languishing on my todo list

That Pierce House is similar to what Australians would call a "Queenslander" but most of them would be single story and often on stilts so you could walk underneath. The deep verandahs provided some shelter from the sun and helped cool the house. Many of them were knocked down in the name of progress but then folk recognised their heritage value and restored those that remained. You now get a house built to that style.

Not doing much content creation but I sure have caught up on a few jobs languishing on my todo list
Interesting, especially a Queenslander on stilts. You don't see those here. Glad to hear that style making a comeback. One thing that impresses me about a lot of these old homes, built back in the 1800's through the early 1900's, was the quality of material they used, both structurally and cosmetically. Great foundations, sometimes with river rock and thick lumber, built to last. Very expensive now days to build them that way. As you mentioned, those large porches (verandahs) really did give some extra protection from the elements and so nice to sit outside, especially in the evening during the warmer months. Just add some Citronella to your kerosene, light those lanterns and keep the pesky bugs away.

I've been busy music making... Here's one that's appropriate for these times:

Louis Gottschalk (1829 - 1869) Morte!! She's dead!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yw4hi5vi9n01p9u/Gottschalk - Morte!! She's Dead!.wav?dl=0

It's a funeral march.

Very nice piece, JC and well done. I couldn't help but imagine Snoopy standing on your upright, bawling his head off and totally losing it. At my funeral, I think I'd rather have something like "Roll out the barrel" playing, so that way while I'm looking down ( hopefully not up), I'd know IF people were crying, it would be because they actually miss me and not because of the music.

Bradley, the best way to get what you want, is to do it yourself. It's not hard to do and the longer you are at it, the more your skills will improve.
cheers
Graeme

I'm busy uploading all the assets I've reskinned the past several years, no good keeping them to myself , I may very well snuff it in the next few months , so I'm getting them out there whilst I can . Its not the most enjoyable of tasks but necessary nevertheless if anyone else is going to be able to run my routes or use the assets for their own .

A small amusing story. I phoned our local pharmacy to ask them to deliver my next lot of meds and about an hour later there was a knock at the door. Just as I was about to open the door I suddenly had an almost overwhelming urge to cough. Somehow I managed to swallow it down and I opened the door. The young woman from the pharmacy was well aware of social distancing so she had placed the packet of meds on the porch rail and then had stood well back so she could observe that I had collected them. I thanked her very warmly and she departed, but I would have been so embarrassed if I had actually given vent to a cough. It was just an old lady cough, but in the present situation any cough for whatever reason is completely and utterly unwelcome for obvious reasons.
The strange thing is over the months I have been having my meds delivered I have never had the urge to cough before when answering the door.

The obvious questions to ask - Where is Tasmania? Does it actually have any trains? Is the place full of Devils from the Bugs Bunny cartoons?;)

Haha exactly. Tasmania is a little island south of Australia with a 3ft6 narrow gauge railway for freight trains. There's some really nice locations on the line whether it's along the coast/next to the beach, or around heaps of tight curves with the flanges squealing their heads off or extremely remote areas. There's Tasmanian Devil's also yes.

The obvious questions to ask - Where is Tasmania? Does it actually have any trains? Is the place full of Devils from the Bugs Bunny cartoons?;)

Easy to understand why you would ask. It's often omitted from maps. However, I have it on good authority that it does exist, somewhere to the south of the Australian continent, and that Tasmanian Devils are frequently seen wandering the semi-mythical Salamanca markets in the company of small yellow birds (said birds have a reputation for spending a lot of time on Twitter)..

Last edited:
Gee, I always thought south of Australia, it was next stop Antarctica, where the Cascaderailroads play. :p:hehe:

Back