Content creation during a pandemic.

sOW2BeN.jpg

Dave Snow, you mean you might "retire" from making Trainz content for the DLS? You made great buildings, reskinnable diesel locomotives, and stuff. Sorry about your illness. I found some nice buildings on the 3D Warehouse, and there is a program to convert Sketchup models to Trainz, would I be able to download those buildings as long as the polys aren't too high and and convert them into Trainz files?

Last edited:
Not to mention the way that SketchUp created assets can severely drag system performance right down and set the frames per second rate to single digit figures. The assets created from the SketchUp 3D warehouse are not optimised for any games.

I know that there are those who will disagree but that is my opinion (and experience).

Staying at home - no choice. All except essential services are closed in Norway, and the oil is not doing well either. Hopefully our esteemed leaders will take the opportunity to tackle climate change since CO2 and damaging gases have been massively reduced in major cities and industrial areas since the lock-downs started. When we rebuild it would be a good idea to rebuild clean!

The models on the 3d warehouse tend to be very detailed and have high poly counts because why not. This makes them nice to look at but unsuitable for upload to the DLS. But am I correct in saying that now N3V requires LODs for assets over 500 polys which makes it a moot point?

I saw some assets on the DLS that were made in Sketchup and imported with Ruby. So I guess it can be done but with lower poly models.

But am I correct in saying that now N3V requires LODs for assets over 500 polys which makes it a moot point?

There was some discussion over this a while back but I do not know if it has been implemented in the latest asset builds (4.6) or if it is just being considered for a future build. There has been no outcry in these forums from those creators who routinely use SketchUp and the 3D Warehouse for their creations. Such a restriction could be easily circumvented by always creating to a lower build number that did not have that requirement.

There was some discussion over this a while back but I do not know if it has been implemented in the latest asset builds (4.6) or if it is just being considered for a future build. There has been no outcry in these forums from those creators who routinely use SketchUp and the 3D Warehouse for their creations. Such a restriction could be easily circumvented by always creating to a lower build number that did not have that requirement.

Still just a warning at present, however historically, warnings at some point turn into errors.

Good morning everyone, I hope you are well and the virus has not attacked you. For my part I continue more or less as always and doing things that
I will post later.

Here we are in quarantine and the people are quite disciplined, there are no big problems to get food although in supermarkets I have to keep my shift on the street and only a limited number of people enter; small grocery stores are also open but everything else is closed; cars only to work and only one person, buy food only one person and close to home. Of course there is no toilet paper :confused:
Please, it is very important that people at risk (with health problems) do not go outside.

What I bring today in the bag is something for those who want to entertain themselves for a while in quarantine, a bar, the Bar-Tolo (a pun, Bar-tholo-mew). You can repaint or rename it at will (no policy please) and if you want to publish the repaint do it on the DLS.
Download on my page (buildings) or on DLS (24h) https://sites.google.com/site/fantreskinstrainzcomes/home

A big hug to everyone.:)
Javier

2020-03-20-101919.jpg

2020-03-20-102916.jpg

All is well in my neck of the woods, which is nowhere close to NYC. Hope everyone is healthy and many blessings to you.
Estate-in-Remsen%2C-NY-1885.jpg

Great pic you did Deane to get this thread rolling ! Seeing how big those coronavirus are makes appreciate once again that God didn't make skunks the size of cows......(there's a connection there somewhere...)

JCitron: I still haven't found those pics of the B&M branch behind Church st. They're on a external hard drive I still have buried in a box somewhere....I WILL them and get them uploaded.

Last edited:
Not letting the current problems stop me from content creation. I will be "hunkered down" for the duration and keeping my "social distance" - unlike some who seemed to think that sun-baking in large numbers at Bondi Beach on a warm Autumn day was a good idea.

A screenshot from my Soon(TM) to be released TS19 update of my TRS2006 route "SAR Peterborough Narrow Gauge Division". This is a shot of Booleroo Centre on the Wilmington branch line - still very much a WIP.

Booleroo-Centre%2C-Wilmington-Line-under-construction.jpg

Great pic you did Deane to get this thread rolling ! Seeing how big those coronavirus are makes appreciate once again that God didn't make skunks the size of cows......(there's a connection there somewhere...)

JCitron: I still haven't found those pics of the B&M branch behind Church st. They're on a external hard drive I still have buried in a box somewhere....I WILL them and get them uploaded.

That house is awesome.

No worries on the pictures. They'll show up in due time.

Back