Content creation during a pandemic.

I have to chuckle when I read of folks' newbie experiences about being in lockdown. (not just on here).
I've been in solo 'lockdown' since December 2017 when I had a traumatic fall in a shopping centre (mall), it affected me physically and mentally, but that's another story.
I am now very much used to not seeing the outside world these days, so I make use of the technlogy available.
I use Google Earth for my outdoor adventures and sightseeing.
I have excercise equipment to keep me fit.
I use forums for chit-chat and serious discussions like Trainz :)
I love to watch my favourite football team play using live steams, but sadly, that's a pleasure that I no longer have due to Covid19.
Music is online too either via Spotify or YouTube videos.
All of my shopping is done online, including groceries.
I also use YouTube to watch trains in the real world via their 'Live Now' links, right now I am watching Warsaw Zachodnia station on another screen whils typing this out.
https://www.youtube.com/c/UrządTransportuKolejowego/live

The most important thing for me is that I have Trainz! What a lifesaver it has been for me.

Honestly, going out is so overrated :hehe:
Welcome to my world!

Stay safe my friends :)

Graham - much is the same as my world. In 2012 I found myself a pariah because I was no longer a useful worker in society. I went from an IT support person handling close to 700 people in an office to a twit unable to do much else but sleep. I had issues with falling, nearly fell at work, and developed some executive function issues. I essentially became a risk for my employer and ended up going out on disability which later turned into full-time disability and on a pensioner's budget with a nearly 50% cut in income.

I did make a couple of trips when I could afford it, but those ended when I fell on one of them. Freezing in place and doing a face plant in a restaurant was the most embarrassing thing anyone can do. After that, I became a hermit after that only venturing out when I had to, or going out with others so I didn't have to drive.

Like you I spend my time traveling through proxy. There are some gorgeous cab rides available across the British Midlands by Don Coffey whose videos I enjoy as well as some by others taking place in Austria and Germany. This is in addition to the numerous tram videos which are fun. I mean seeing Zurich and Frankfurt from a tram is fascinating!

When I'm not Trainzing, or chatting in the forums, I'm busy with my music. I studied piano for years and studied a bit virtually in 2017 with someone in Belgium. Those were the best lessons I had and we still do stuff together with various projects, and that inspired me to practice and play again and spend about an hour or two a day at it.

The thing is, like you, we did it. We found ways to keep ourselves busy without the need to be constantly entertained by others. My doctor asked me if I went out. I said I do occasionally but it's not necessary; I get along better with myself.

I'm not under any financial stress as I'm retired with ample super which I had in cash and neither are my family members as all have essential jobs , but I think we should spare a thought for those of us who are not in this situation. most workers in Australia at least have some superannuation payments that they can access, but there are those who had casual jobs or who were self employed who do not and of course most welfare benefits are woefully insufficient to cover daily expenses.
I send my sympathy to all who are now unemployed and have no or very limited incomes and who are facing eviction and financial ruin. Let's hope we do not lose too many of this community either to the virus or because their internet connections are severed due to lack of funds. It's going to be a very long road , many of us retirees are not particularly inconvenienced by this disease , we don't have to go out a lot and if sensible can probably avoid being infected, but many may not be in this position, trainz can help get us through the day as long as we can afford to play it, let's hope those who are not as fortunate can still get access during the months ahead so we can keep the majority of our community connected.

For the past two years not going out anywhere outside the house apart from medical appointments has been my world so a lockdown makes no difference at all to me, but as Dan says many folk and their families are having a rough time at the moment. I was poor as a churchmouse when my two now adult children were small and times were tough, but nothing like what many families are facing now. My heart very much goes out to them.
I'm supported by the OAP, but years of having to do without have taught me how to make a little go a long way. Even when I had a good well paying job after the tough times had ended old habits died hard and I was still careful with my money. I look on my high speed broadband connection as being an essential household expense since it's my main form of contact with the outside world. I count Trainz as being essential too since I've loved trains and railways ever since I was small. It's also good therapy, not only in that it gives me a creative outlet, but also with making my sleepy brain work to solve problems.
Having an invisible disability like I do can be a problem sometimes especially since in all other ways I'm fit and healthy. I have been called lazy more than a few times and suffered comments like, 'Perhaps you should try to go to bed earlier,' from folk who just don't get that the part of my brain that acts to keep human beings awake and sleep regulated is faulty and it can't be fixed.

People can be very quick to judge others - out of prejudice, ignorance or whatever. Unfortunately, that trait can also be found in politicians who often use their quick judgements to denigrate those who are not as fortunate as themselves as a way of making quick political capital.

In forums, such as these, disabilities are rarely obvious and they do not matter.

I am glad that Trainz is a helpful pastime for you Ann, we are very fortunate to have you and your creative talents here with us! I am work-from-home since early march, but I don't complain. I have some of the traits they put out as extra vulnerable, so I really don't want to catch it if I can avoid it. What bothers me is those that think they should be free to go out and do what they want. They give no thought whatever to those they may unknowingly spread the virus to, including members of their own family. I told a friend of mine that wanted his "freedom" that it was OK, but that I myself would have a hard time living with it if I brought it back to my loved ones and someone suffered and/or died from it...

I really don't understand the protestors who are baying for freedom. The ultimate cost could be their death or the death of their loved ones, - not to mention anyone else they might come in contact with. The historical lessons of the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic and what happened when social isolation was relaxed too early are something that can't be ignored.

I really don't understand the protestors who are baying for freedom.

The only way that I can understand the "Freedom" protesters is that they have a sense of entitlement that is greater than their sense of responsibility. They see their "right" to enjoy their lives as they want as being more important than the lives of others.

A cartoon in a local paper here put it very nicely. A lone health worker in scrubs, mask and gloves stands in the path of a car full of "freedom" protestors, some carrying rifles. The health worker asks "But what about the 49,000 lives that have been lost and all those who will be put at risk?". One of the protesters responds with "We kill that many each year with guns so what is your point?"

Last edited:
I really don't understand the protestors who are baying for freedom. The ultimate cost could be their death or the death of their loved ones, - not to mention anyone else they might come in contact with. The historical lessons of the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic and what happened when social isolation was relaxed too early are something that can't be ignored.

People don't read or care about history. My grandfather went deaf from the Spanish Flu and developed the Parkinson type illness later. Let's say he was one of the lucky ones. This current "bug" is no picnic and as Forester1 says, I too would not want that kind of thing on my conscience. My dad is 85 and lives with my brother and me, and is still healthy for his age. With that said, we do what we can to take the precautions to ensure he remains that way.

Hello all,

I had imagined that there would be more chance for many to do more Trainzing. I suppose that can be good or bad depending on actual circumstances. Enjoyed hearing how others are doing.

I'm not online much, poor Internet at my place out in the boonies, just barely get Internet on my phone if I stand in the right place on the property. Visiting my younger sister today. She has good Internet and has been able to do nearly all of her work online. (My visit also permits TANE to talk to the N3V computers and continue working another 30 days.)
I've been using masks and gloves, but I'm trying to learn that I need to clean the items from town. I would fair poorly, if I caught the CV-19 virus, hence the cautious behavior. We're both very careful about exposure. With everything going on, I've been spending much more time at home, going to town every two weeks for supplies. So far my relatives are doing well, including mom, who lives with an older sister.

I hope that everyone can hang in there with these challenging times.
Dave Z

To continue on this side track, once you've experienced a bidet toilet seat, especially a heated one, there is nothing else. We installed a Toto Washlet and never want to go back to anything as primitive as toilet paper.

Back when people were hoarding toilet paper, we walked by the empty shelves and just smiled.

Back