Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Content creation during a pandemic.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    You are correct but those big buildings located in prime locations at expensive addresses (5th Avenue, New York: Collins St, Melbourne: Pitt St, Sydney - to give a few examples) give both prestige and a sense of wealth and success that is simply not found in a Facebook or Twitter account.

You can never judge a company or organisation by its online presence or the number of "likes" its posts get. Just as the physical edifice at the swank city address tells you nothing about the honesty, integrity and competence of those who dwell inside (Lehman Bros, AIG, etc) but at least you have a chance of knowing who you are dealing with unlike those behind URLs and IPs.

My thoughts.
    True and there's also the ego factor as well since these CEOs and company owners need to show off whose got a bigger glass tower.

I've worked in a few towers and actually ended up with a massive respiratory infection that gave me walking pneumonia while working in a brand new building in the financial district in Boston. There were a few people in the office that had what appeared to be a cold. I worked in the computer room 2nd shift and never went near them, but got word that they were out with what appeared to be a chest cold when I was delivering their reports.

A bit later I got it and so did my other coworkers in the computer room. A short time after that the rest of the company had it right up to the president who ended up quite sick. The fever was high, around 102, and I couldn't breath. I was put on gigantic, horse-sized, antibiotic pills that caused my stomach to end up messed up. The only solution for the stomach issues was to eat tons of yogurt. When I called in and told my manager I was quarantined to my house due to walking pneumonia, he was p-offed and demanded I come in even though most of the workers were out as well. I left the company shortly after that due to this and other reasons.
    Last edited by JCitron; March 28th, 2020 at 10:30 AM.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post

I've worked in a few towers and actually ended up with a massive respiratory infection that gave me walking pneumonia while working in a brand new building in the financial district in Boston. .....
    That sounds like Legionnaires disease although it shouldn't be a problem in a new building. I believe its caused by bacteria forming in the aircon cooling towers.

Paul

Columbus, Oh USA -by the Weber Connection!

Working on a new route based off of Tacoma, WA. It's an add-on to Eagle River.
    Check out my grungy electric piano based band, "Small Movies" at http://wearesmallmovies.com/

[IMG][/IMG]
    Creator of Blue Mountains Line and Southern Region - Brighton Line routes.

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    That sounds like Legionnaires disease although it shouldn't be a problem in a new building. I believe its caused by bacteria forming in the aircon cooling towers.
    We were told it was called new building syndrome. There was some kind of bacteria or something in the water system, but it wasn't Legionnaires.
    John

Well I've been having fun repainting some of BenDorsey's work car series to create a Bridge and Build consist for the Central Pacific.

The United State's Health Care System ranks 37th in the world just behind Costa Rica.

United States of America, New York, Allegany

I'm being good and working on my route from indoors. Nice view of the Black River line from here with Remsen high falls in the distance....work in progress of course...always.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

United States of America, New York, Allegany

Quote Originally Posted by normhart View Post
    Well I've been having fun repainting some of BenDorsey's work car series to create a Bridge and Build consist for the Central Pacific.
    Those are really nice nice loco's and cars, and great history with the old Central Pacific...Maybe the creator would let me reskin them for my route in the North East ?....I'll have to ask.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Those are really nice nice loco's and cars, and great history with the old Central Pacific...Maybe the creator would let me reskin them for my route in the North East ?....I'll have to ask.
    Ben Dorsey has passed away but he issued a blanket release so long as they aren't used for profit. The loco, caboose, and coach are pencil42's and he has an open release policy.

I've adapted a couple of link n pin couplers as bogies for replacement of narrow gauge knuckle bogie couplers on bendorsey's cars and should be uploading standard gauge versions today.

Some of Ben's assets are quite old but they satisfy my needs.
    Last edited by normhart; March 29th, 2020 at 07:50 AM.
    The United State's Health Care System ranks 37th in the world just behind Costa Rica.

United States of America, Wyoming, Evanston

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    I'm wondering if corporations are going to realize they don't need all the mega real estate with all the extra expenses and other liabilities associated with these buildings. As a former IT support person, I saw this work at home trend starting a decade ago. The problem back then was the lack of trust by management, and it was only allowed for a mere handful of trusted employees, and then only for those that needed it unless they were in remote services or sales.

With this push to offsite operations, this maybe the push into that direction permanently, and the only companies that will need an actual work-site are those that are in manufacturing. If you think about it, with SAAS, cloud-based storage, and virtual desktops, there is no longer a need for a centralized location.
    John, your post made me think of how the company I worked for changed over the years of my employment (1977-2003 with some consulting to 2007). When I started there was a typing pool where you sent most all correspondence that was to be sent out (letters and faxes). You'd send in you first letter draft and get a rough draft back, make changes, send it back, get the revision back, repeat as needed, give a copy to your boss for his comments, revise, get revision back and, hopefully finalize. That process could be about as frustrating as you can imagine. Faxes could be a bit quicker as they were supposed to be, well, fast. If you were just a worker bee you couldn't send you own fax period. Also, paying a contractor invoice was a lengthy process also with a long paper trail.

All that started to change when PROFS terminals started showing up in the later 1980's where we could not only run common engineering programs right at our desk but also send and receive messages, the first emails. PROFS terminals gave way to personal computers and the internet and intranet. Emails took the place of faxes and letters became rare and the typing pool disappeared. Oh, letters were still sent out, mainly for bids documents and such, but normal correspondence via letter was minimized. With personal computer, the engineers and such started typing their own reports (well there really wasn't anyone else to type them) with review usually by another engineer. The review process was cut to the bone so we could get on with the program. Anybody could send a fax as long as they could figure out how to run the machine and they became very easy to use. Invoice pay eventually became entirely paperless with the foreman receiving the invoice electronically and doing the coding him/herself for payment. No middle person whatsoever.

The bottomline is that technology flattened the organizaion tremendously all over the company and, mostly, for the better. Productivity exploded with way fewer people doing way more.

Take care and stay safe,
    Don Bennett Evanston, WY USA Windows 10 T:ANE Deluxe 94829 TRS2019 100240

While browsing The Guardian this morning, I found this image, which is eerily similar to the one in the opening post of this thread.

How did the virus particles get from my screenshot to the pages of The Guardian? Is my anti-virus software not working?

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; March 31st, 2020 at 02:43 AM.
    T:ANE SP4 build 105946 and TRS2019 SP1 build 105096
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    While browsing The Guardian this morning, I found this image, which is eerily similar to the one in the opening post of this thread.

{image removed}

How did the virus particles get from my screenshot to the pages of The Guardian? Is my anti-virus software not working?

HA!

In all seriousness, someone saw your image and created one of their own. I like yours better.
    John

I like your image better too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Picking up on this comment because I feel the same when it comes to content creation, but I don’t know why.

I have all the time in the world now to devote to the hobby and I promised another Trainzer that I would create a series of trees for him. But every morning when I sit down to start working on it, I just cannot find the “energy” to proceed. I allow myself to get distracted by another computer game, a Netflix series, a cat video on YouTube, or just the endless TV news about COVID-19. I don’t know how to explain or break this strange lethargic cycle and I’m feeling more guilty about it with every passing day.
    This is so true! I've been working from home now since 13th March and currently indefinitely. And I've basically been indoors (only out once) since 21st March. So a perfect opportunity to do Trainz right? But I too am lacking the 'energy'. This virus is a curse for the over-50s and it's difficult to focus on anything else.

Paul

Blog Entries

For me variety is the key.

I still work on my Trainz project but what I am currently doing is "uninspiring" (adjusting the height and terrain height of all the road splines that are close to the track to eliminate the "floating" effect) so it is progressing slowly. TV (as usual not much really on), reading (I have a supply of books and magazines to read and I can order more online), some new DVDs arrived earlier today and as I was typing this post a WiFi Mesh Extender just arrived by courier so I can significantly improve the wifi coverage in the Sunroom where I have set up a computer work station. Then there is the gardening (just transplanted some cherry tomato plants to pots for a supply of tomatoes in a month or two) and the domestic duties - my partner also keeps me busy.

So plenty, or even too much, to do and that is the reason (apart from the monotonous height adjustments - but that will eventually pass) why I have nor been at my Trainz project as much as I had planned.

I was listening on the radio this morning to a former captain of an RN nuclear sub who would sometimes spend 200+ days submerged. It was interesting. His main advice was to establish a set routine and stick to it, and don't let your personal standards (cleanliness, hygiene, dress, etc) slip.

Keep busy, do different things (I join a Zoom exercise class on Thursdays and Saturdays), keep your mind active.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

I have been inside ever since March 1st, as I saw this coming much, much before December 2019

My Trainz route creation is the central point, heart of my life

While everyone else in the world around me, is going absolutely stark crazy, bored stiff, raving mad, and have the only alternative, of an extended 3 month tournament of Monopoly, or playing weeks on end the card game Uno, or jigsaw puzzles, I myself have years more work to keep me occupied in Trainz route creation.
    Trainz indeed keeps my mind off of things. You guys that are talented in GMAX, Blender, and Transdem must be thanking your lucky stars for such great content creation PC programs !

Thank you all, for all you do
    Last edited by MP242; April 1st, 2020 at 08:43 PM.
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community