Cm Size on disk

mrscsi

Happily Retired
This probably been asked and answered a few times but here goes... I just got back into trainz after a long pause and noticed assets I know are like 30 mb on the disk total and CM will say it is 72 mb...

I just uploaded the asset to the DLS and the DLS says it is 32.4 mb NOT 72....

So what gives are we just to halve everything the CM says an asset is?

Items being uploaded to the DLS / being downloaded from DLS are compressed in .cdp files to reduce the actual file size.
When its downloaded, it'll extract the contents from the files, which will take additional space.
When its being uploaded (through CM) it'll compress the content into the .cdp file to reduce upload time and save on bandwidth.

Cheers

Items being uploaded to the DLS / being downloaded from DLS are compressed in .cdp files to reduce the actual file size.
When its downloaded, it'll extract the contents from the files, which will take additional space.
When its being uploaded (through CM) it'll compress the content into the .cdp file to reduce upload time and save on bandwidth.

Cheers

Cool BUT one little problem I have assets that are 36 mb uncompressed on my hard drive that show up as 72 mb in cm and then go back to 36mb when uploaded...

So is the CM doubling the size for some reason? I mean we are talking 3 meshes and a low detail mesh and a thumbnail and 9 texture files for the main meshes and 1 for the low detail mesh and a config file and it will add texture.txt files so there are 10 of them and that will not account for double size on disk that CM is showing especially once I go in and remove the fbx files

I am sure people think I am nuts but here is the asset on my drive in fbx file format with config and all images and thumbnail
Annotation-2020-03-16b171552.jpg

Then in CM after installing it and removing the fbx files after it makes trainzmesh files and texture.txt files

Annotation-2020-03-16-171552.jpg

Notice the 72mb size on disk

Annotation-2020-03-16-a171552.jpg

Then after upload to DLS back to 37 mb or there about

From the looks of the screenshots, it looks like CM is either reporting the wrong file size; or there are additional items being used, but are hidden / removed when opened for editing.
I encounter this, but haven't really investaged the cause of this since hard drives are getting cheaper and such.

Cheers

Hi Mrscsi
You aren't going crazy here :)

The raw size on your disc for an open for edit asset does not include the compressed '.texture' files, which are generated when an asset is submitted (And are not shown when opened for edit).

The size shown in Content Manager is for the size of the asset on the disc in the Trainz Asset Database (ie in the local folder, for content marked 'locally modified'). This will be a fair bit larger, as it has the '.texture' files included in the size.

The size shown on the Download Station is the size of the cdp file that was uploaded to the DLS; again this won't include the .texture file so will be smaller (and often a little smaller than the size on disc, as cdp files are compressed). The reason for this is that the '.texture' format changes between Trainz builds, and as such needs to be generated each time the asset is installed or submitted.

Regards

Hi Mrscsi
You aren't going crazy here :)

The raw size on your disc for an open for edit asset does not include the compressed '.texture' files, which are generated when an asset is submitted (And are not shown when opened for edit).

The size shown in Content Manager is for the size of the asset on the disc in the Trainz Asset Database (ie in the local folder, for content marked 'locally modified'). This will be a fair bit larger, as it has the '.texture' files included in the size.

The size shown on the Download Station is the size of the cdp file that was uploaded to the DLS; again this won't include the .texture file so will be smaller (and often a little smaller than the size on disc, as cdp files are compressed). The reason for this is that the '.texture' format changes between Trainz builds, and as such needs to be generated each time the asset is installed or submitted.

Regards

I have seen some assets pointing to .texture files and often wondered how those were pulled off. I use the old 3 per mesh formula and IF I could do away with them my assets would be much smaller LOL

Back