Which version to purchase?

scvbrent

Im wondering what the differences between TS19 and TMR17?

I am interested in downloading routes and creating routes that can be used to simulate switching operations of a model railroad - car forwarding or CMTM type things. Is one of these products better than the other?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

Im wondering what the differences between TS19 and TMR17?

I am interested in downloading routes and creating routes that can be used to simulate switching operations of a model railroad - car forwarding or CMTM type things. Is one of these products better than the other?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

The difference between TMR17 and TRS19 are TMR17 is based on an older version of the T:ANE game engine that's neither here nor there now. It sat in between T:ANE SP2 and SP1 and includes some of the features of SP2, but not all. TMR 17 also has a limited content set, built around model railroads. yet is capable of downloading stuff for T:ANE, except that content that was made in later versions. The model railroads are full-scale routes set into a model railroad kind of environment by using creative route building.

TR19 is a full-blown new Trainz version that has everything that T:ANE and TMR17 has plus new features including better performance, graphics, and a new interface, although Surveyor is pretty much the same. With TRS19 you can create the same kinds of route that can be done in TMR17 and then some. If you want, you can even purchase the DLC versions of the TMR17 built-in routes. There are different flavors of TRS19 including a Platinum edition which includes the new Unified Driver and Surveyor, a new content store, and so on.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful!

One last question - is there any advantage to using the PC version instead of the Mac version? If all is the same, I would use the Mac version, but could do windows if that would be easier.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful!

One last question - is there any advantage to using the PC version instead of the Mac version? If all is the same, I would use the Mac version, but could do windows if that would be easier.

The PC hardware is much more powerful unless you are putting the program in a Parallels VM or something similar. Macs tend to have lesser graphics processors unless you go for the really, really high end machines. It's too bad Apple chose to do that because overall the hardware is quite nice.

The software, however, is the same with PC versions generally coming out a bit sooner than the Mac versions due to development time, etc.

To get the full benefit from TS19 - and to build routes efficiently (i.e. not waiting too long for scenery to load, tracks to show detail) - you'll need a higher range Graphics card.
These, unfortunately, are readily available for the pc, but not for the Mac.

I've been forced to upgrade my graphics card (gtx 770 died on me), and I replaced it with the RTX 2060. That isn't capable of Ultra settings for all the graphics, but capable of 60 FPS at "high" settings.

Colin

Back