Not installed, Payware(not active)

TinHare

I've just upgraded from TANE to TRS2019 and I have several missing kuids with the message "Not installed, Payware(not active).
These were not a problem in TANE. Why do I have to install all the payware just to get a few small kuids? There seems no way of porting them across from TANE. I end up with a very bloated directory far bigger than seems necessary.

Is there an easier way?

Have you downloaded the extra assets from TANE pack? It could also be some of the TANE routes may need installing
There is no easy way as they were referenced on the TANE version of the route.

Last edited:
Why do I have to install all the payware just to get a few small kuids?
You shouldn't be forced to. You should complain loudly to the help desk. The issue has been raised previously but the response has been very vague. Just the ability to delete this unwanted payware would help, because that would mean that substitutes could be used even if the real thing can't be transferred from T:ane.

Good Afternoon
Content that is included exclusively in DLC packs (ie is not available from other sources, such as the Download Station or 3rd party websites) can only be installed as part of the entire DLC pack. It is not possible to install individual assets from a DLC pack.

However due to the way that DLC packs are packaged, any content that is not located on the Download Station will be marked as 'payware' as the automatic packaging system can only detect 'freeware' content from the Download Station. As such a google search for individual assets may turn up the 3rd party website the asset is from, if it is a freeware 3rd party asset that was provided in the DLC pack.

(and yes, I am fully aware that in some specific cases, DLS assets have been marked as 'payware' when DLC packs are installed; but this will not prevent downloading the version from the DLS if the DLC pack is not currently installed)

Regards

Good Afternoon
Content that is included exclusively in DLC packs (ie is not available from other sources, such as the Download Station or 3rd party websites) can only be installed as part of the entire DLC pack. It is not possible to install individual assets from a DLC pack.

However due to the way that DLC packs are packaged, any content that is not located on the Download Station will be marked as 'payware' as the automatic packaging system can only detect 'freeware' content from the Download Station. As such a google search for individual assets may turn up the 3rd party website the asset is from, if it is a freeware 3rd party asset that was provided in the DLC pack.

(and yes, I am fully aware that in some specific cases, DLS assets have been marked as 'payware' when DLC packs are installed; but this will not prevent downloading the version from the DLS if the DLC pack is not currently installed)

Regards

Thanks for your explanation but it does not excuse the total inefficiency of such a system. I now have 50g of downloaded material I do not want in order to get about 2mb of files that I do want. I tried searching google and DLS for the missing kuids to no avail. I have them(as directories) already in my TANE installation but I cannot access them and transfer them to TRS2019.

Agree completely with Tinhare. I paid for the platinum issue, want a couple of items off one particular DLC item but have to download hundreds of MG's of assets just to have the couple I want. Inefficient is the word that comes to mind.

The problem is actually caused by creators who use payware in their freeware routes.
Colour coding the assets in surveyor would go a long way to solving the issue. Payware, third party and modified in yellow, faulty in red as at present, DLS in white.
Graeme

Last edited:
The problem is actually caused by creators who use payware in their freeware routes.

No. OP did not have missing content before the upgrade. The upgrade has installed content that is incomplete because OP chose not to add the optional content. An upgrade should not create missing dependencies: if the content is included in the upgrade it should be complete. If the content is optional then other included content should not assume it is installed. Suggesting that OP should now go off and search for the missing content on third-party sites is missing the point of the problem entirely.

No. OP did not have missing content before the upgrade. The upgrade has installed content that is incomplete because OP chose not to add the optional content. An upgrade should not create missing dependencies: if the content is included in the upgrade it should be complete. If the content is optional then other included content should not assume it is installed. Suggesting that OP should now go off and search for the missing content on third-party sites is missing the point of the problem entirely.

That is not the case. In this case the OP has tried to install content from a DLC pack using methods that are not supported.

I understand people may not agree with the method in use, but this is the only method we support to install content that is exclusive to these DLC packs. If you want content that is exclusive to a DLC pack installed, then the DLC pack must be installed.

This is due to the way that the authentication system for DLC packs works; only a complete DLC pack installation will make the content in that DLC pack fully functional.

We do not currently have plans to change this, as doing so can introduce too many issues with missing dependencies among other issues.

The suggestion regarding 3rd party websites from me was for content that is also available from those websites. In this case, the OPs options are to either install the entire DLC pack or the assets from the 3rd party website.

Regards

Another issue I have come across regarding payware is that if you download the entire package to get a few items and then delete the package, those items you wanted that are contained in the payware package will also be deleted from your system. Not exactly what you would call user friendly. There are ways around this, but it involves a lot of hacking and an extremely good understanding of the database structures. Not recommended.

Another issue I have come across regarding payware is that if you download the entire package to get a few items and then delete the package, those items you wanted that are contained in the payware package will also be deleted from your system. Not exactly what you would call user friendly.

The whole idea behind the DLC system is to ensure that the DLC pack is provided complete; with no missing or faulty assets. To ensure this, along with ensuring the security of the DLC pack, the DLC pack is an all or nothing system. You either have the entire package installed, or not at all. You cannot install just one or two assets from a DLC pack, as covered above, which also means that removing the DLC pack will remove all assets included in the DLC pack.

Now this doesn't mean the assets might not be available from other sources. Any marked as 'builtin' that are included in a DLC pack should be on the DLS, as that is how the system marks them as 'builtin'. Otherwise you may find that the asset is available for download from the original creator's website. As noted earlier, the 'payware' indication is basically given to any asset that isn't available from the DLS at the time the package is built (based on the exact kuid number of the asset being packaged), which means that assets from 3rd party sites will basically always get this indication.

Regards

Back