BNSF Engines in Galveston Port Train Yard

Heinrich505

Does anyone know if the BNSF is swapping over their engine fleet? I passed by the Port of Galveston train yard about two weeks ago and the entire - and I mean entire - yard was packed with BNSF engines, of all sorts of paint jobs. I think I was able to identify some as GE C40-8w or EMD SD70MAC, although there could have been so many other types tossed in there as well.

There had to be hundreds of engines all jammed together in there. I'm guessing BNSF had sold them and they were being shipped overseas somewhere.

Two weeks later, yesterday, the yard had cleared out a little bit, but there were still so many engines in the yard. I've never seen so many in one place at the same time.

I have some pictures but can't figure out how to get them off my phone at present. I'll try posting them later if I can.

Heinrich505

I sort of figured how to pull the pics out. Please forgive the size of the photo. I resized it several times. Use the scroll bar to move left and right to see the entire width of the shot.

I took this on 37th Street in Galveston, looking east towards the cruise lines along Ave. A. There were many more engines behind me on the west side of the yard.

jEhF6Kcs_o.jpg

I once had a bus driver tell me their buses had over a million miles on them when they were retired. Anyone know how many miles the average locomotive puts on before it gets retired?

I know the C40-8W's are not long for this world. They may be using the yard for storing retired locomotives until they can be dealt with.

Matt

Crazytrain,
Thanks for the article. It never occurred to me to check the Galveston paper.

The number and variety of engines there was staggering. I always thought the Port owned that rail yard near 37th Street, but apparently BNSF or some mystery owner does - "records are incomplete..." The way they keep records on 'Tha Island," it could possibly still be owned by the pirate Jean Lafitte. Arrrggghhhhh!

There was a buffalo herd of engines just two weeks ago, but they've thinned the herd down a little over two weeks. I'm thinking it is a sad and ignominious end for most of them.

Heinrich505

JCitron,
The GVSR handles track that is mainly along the actual Port of Galveston. The train yards with all the engines are shared between BNSF and UP, as I understand, before you get to the GVSR trackage. I would imagine that GVSR has some track rights to the huge yards that BNSF/UP have, so they can get cargoes to the wharves when they come in from the mainland.

The yards with all the engines would be property of BNSF/UP. It was so sad to see all those proud engines just sitting there, waiting for fate to decide what happens to them. Sorry for the size on this one. You will have to use the scroll bar at the bottom to catch the right side of the photo that has Avenue A in Galveston. You can see the giant grain elevator in the background left. I was surprised to see so many of the Executive Paint Scheme also tossed in for "retirement."

Heinrich505
x
Vc0z6Cve_o.jpg

Thanks for the explanation about that yard and the GVSR. I've always wondered about that when looking at the area on Google Earth.

I agree it is sad to see all those locomotives lined up like that. Some of these locos are still in excellent condition on the outside with near pristine paint. The older ATSF painted ones do look a bit worn, though. I suppose if they're not scrapped, they could be purchased up by short lines and leasing companies for use later on.

I have to say those yard tracks are in excellent condition and look better than some of the running tracks where I live.

MSGSAPPER has made some spiked SAP tracks that are pretty close, and I am using them in a layout I am working on. They are DLS and there are versions for 2019 and for T:ANE and below.... No rolling tests yet so don't know if they have any unique sound from the usual.

MSGSAPPER has made some spiked SAP tracks that are pretty close, and I am using them in a layout I am working on. They are DLS and there are versions for 2019 and for T:ANE and below.... No rolling tests yet so don't know if they have any unique sound from the usual.

Yeah I've used his tracks. They're just tracks and don't have any sound that I could hear. They are similar to this in looks, with the difference here these tracks shown don't have the jelly-fish guts pushing the dirt down underneath them. :hehe:

From reading the article, it almost sounds like the Port Authority is trying to take the property owned by BNSF, but rarely used, by emminent domain, citing "incomplete ownership records" ...
...BNSF's reply: Lets just load up the yard with BNSF equipment, so they (PO) can't just start bulldozing and "steal" the land, and/or show proof to the Courts that it is used and needed.

Back