2 1070TI's vs 1 1080TI with Trainz 19 Tane and 12

constar261

Just recently upgraded my rig up to a workstation monster and thru some recent acquisitions have 3 gpu's at the ready. I'm wondering is it better to have 2 1070TI's in SLI or 1 1080TI for the above trainz titles? Current system stands as amd threadripper 3970X 64GB of ram @3600 Mhz and 1300W PSU cooling is a 360mm corsair pro cooler aio.

Since you have the cards to hand, then the best suggestion is to suck it and see... Try the single 1080Ti first and benchmark the results with your favorite route and sessions.
Then see what a pair of 1070Tis can do in SLI with the same scenarios. Won't be 2X the performance of a single card, but should be slightly better than 1.25.
Depends on the quality of the cards, the memory and clock speeds available and their overall performance specs.
In principle, a single, more-powerful card is to be preferred over the complexity of running multiple GPUs in SLI or Crossfire
We know from a few Trainz users' reports here on this forum that both T:ANE and TRS19 demonstrate support for SLI to a certain extent, even though the program/ game engine has not been optimized for it.

Check out this review of 2 GTX-1070Ti SLI vs a single GTX 1080Ti over 35 games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmVNwcaLpG4

Last edited:
I used to run two geforce 460 GTX cards in SLI mode with TS12 and never saw any improvement. In fact, I saw lots of problems like rendering errors. Disabling SLI fixed those problems. I replaced one 460 that died with a 1080 TI as the primary card and I have the other old 460 GTX card dedicated to PhysX only. TS12 runs better than ever and TRS19 is smooth as silk.

William

In the Nvidia control panel under 3D Settings > Configure Surround, PhysX there is a section for PhysX settings. Choose the card you want to use and then tick the Dedicate to PhysX box. Since I have both my monitors plugged into the 1080 Ti card, the 460 GTX is available to just run PhysX.

Before someone asks why have a card with no monitor plugged into it in your computer. There is a HDMI cable plugged in to the 460GTX card that runs to a 50 inch TV so that I can watch online training videos while working along on the computer.

William

Last edited:
Back