incomprehensible dialog

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
While waiting for N3V to find their lost threads, I thought I would try to use a derailer as a work-around to my portal not consuming AI consists.
I found a derailing trigger and installed it. Clicked on the properties to see if anything needs to be setup and this is what I was shown.
derailing trigger.JPG

Looked in the config and there were no language localizations except for the name
username "derailing trigger"
username-ru "Тригер ограничения скорости"

As much as I applaud all the creators for their efforts, is it too much to ask that a dialog box like this also have an English translation?
I know it's a world wide product and that if I went to Russia I would find the signs in Russian but last I looked, my computer and my Trainz are both in English.
Too bad, it might have been a solution but it looks like it will be relegated to the trash bin as incomprehensible.

Agree, but there are a number of ways you could look at this.

AFAIK all Trainz assets have language localisation built-in and with services such as Google Translate it should not be impossible for asset creators to make use of that.

Confession: I did try it with some of my uploaded assets but it become a chore and I really could not decide which of the available languages I should use - there are so many! The Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Username"_tag lists 20 different language variants for the "username" tag.

On the reverse side, too many English speaking creators tend to assume that English is everyone's language (it is no longer the most widely spoken language) and I suppose it is fair enough for creators from other language groups to take a similar view about their own language.

For myself from now on, I will make a better effort to include other languages in the config.txt files of the assets I upload to the DLS.

Rather see the Cyrillic than the question marks all over DLS.

There are translators on the interwebs, and recurring Cyrillic texts that form words such as Settings and Yes/No aren't too difficult to recognize...that is, if you want to use the device.

Agree, but there are a number of ways you could look at this.

AFAIK all Trainz assets have language localisation built-in and with services such as Google Translate it should not be impossible for asset creators to make use of that.

Confession: I did try it with some of my uploaded assets but it become a chore and I really could not decide which of the available languages I should use - there are so many! The Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Username"_tag lists 20 different language variants for the "username" tag.
Full disclosure, many of my objects have Dutch names but at least descriptions and my dialog boexs, when used, are in English.
On the reverse side, too many English speaking creators tend to assume that English is everyone's language (it is no longer the most widely spoken language) and I suppose it is fair enough for creators from other language groups to take a similar view about their own language.

For myself from now on, I will make a better effort to include other languages in the config.txt files of the assets I upload to the DLS.
Technically, English is my third language and so while many of my objects were made in Dutch for the Dutch, I do try to make them understood in English.

Back to the subject at hand, before dumping the derailer, does any one have a description of how it should be used? Google translate only goes so far but doesn't translate how it should be used?

@ Martin - This trigger seems to need to be used on a curve. It plays a squealing noise and if the speed exceeds a limit then the train derails.

I didn't actually run it but I looked at the script to figure out what it does. Also translated some of the text in the config file using Google Translate. Russians seem to refer to AI as a Bot.

Trevor

Translated, it reads as such:

Descent trigger setting

Basic settings
Speed from rails, KM/H (90)
Variation in vanishing rate, KM/H (15)
Do not break (yes)

Crest sound settings
Play the sound of crests (not)

Instrumenti (Yes it translated to this exactly)
Copy settings/ Paste settings
Save default/Paste default
Restore to default

Hi

Just drive the train via a trackmark and follow immediately with a Delete Train command to get round the portal problem.

Regards

Brian

However the original point is still valid. If you're uploading an asset for a sim where the first language *is* English and only a tiny minority speak Russian or can read Cyrillic, then put it in the Common Tongue, so to speak. I've encountered Cyrillic on other items and you can't just copy and paste into Google translate, if you can't select the text.

Thanks to trev999, who pointed out that it appears to be made for curves. Now the track speed makes sense as well as the noise parameter.
I thought of giving every consist a self destruct command at the end of its run. Not very prototypical but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
So that's what a bot is. Wonder what "crests" means. Probably something got lost in translation.

Back